Walton County

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Thorsen, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I hope I am posting this in the right place .... feel free to move it if not.

Today, July 9th, 2007, I went to the probate court and started the process of obtaining my firearms permit. I dealt with Emily, who was helpful and efficient in doing the necessary paperwork.

Some questions were asked that I did not think were required by code (correct me if I am wrong). They were:
    (1) My social security number
    (2) My place of birth
    (3) My employer

I answered them, simply because I did not want anything holding up the issuance of the permit. All other questions appeared to be pertinent to the code and concerned the deniable conditions.

I'll post updates here as I close in on the 60 day statutory limit.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Did they ask about your employer? SSN is not required. I'm not sure about place of birth.

3. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

They did ask about employer. I forgot about that one. I will edit the first post to add that one in. Thanks for the reminder.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh ok. I don't think employer info is required either...

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Place of birth probably is related to determining your citizenship/alienage.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

But what keeps you from putting anything down? I don't think they ask for birth certificates..unless it's one of those optional things buried deep in the part of the law like "we didn't really mean 60 days..it's just a suggestion".

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Lying on the form would be a crime. It would not surprise me if at some point proving your citizenship with documentation became a requirement.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

If they're here illegally, I doubt they're going to care about breaking one more law... I think there's something in the code already about possibly requiring a birth certificate and stuff like that. I don't have time to look it up right now, though.

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

While I don't necessarily believe that behavior is properly controlled by criminal laws, being "here illegally" (i.e., undocumented) and lying on a GFL application form are in way different strata. The former subjects you to deportation (a civil proceeding). The latter can get you several years in prison.

10. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Ok, I have now reached the 30 day mark since applying for my GFL. At this point should I start calling the probate court? Or should I continue to quietly wait? If I should start calling the probate court, what questions should I ask and what information should I have on hand?

Just looking for some tried and proven steps I should start following at this point, if any.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I called 35 days after application and just asked to check the status. They looked for about 30 seconds and then said that I could pick it up instead of me having to wait for the letter to pick it up there anyway.

12. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Well, I just called and was told by the clerk that it would take up to six months for me to receive the license! God I am pissed off!

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Maybe this thread will help you out.

14. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Just remember what George Carlin said. "Its better to be pissed off , than pissed on."

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:lol:

Moore v. Cranford

16. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Yep, nothing like a court ruling that states 60 days doesn't actually mean 60 days.

17. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I called GCIC and spoke with Nina who informed me that their computer system has been down since the end of July and is still not up and working. Evidently they are changing over systems and were supposed to be online by this last Monday, but that didn't work out as planned.

She suggested I call back next week at which time the system will hopefully be up and running and someone in their office will then check to see if GCIC has processed me or not. According to her, before the computer changeover they were completely up to date on background checks so if my information came in sometime in July, as it should have, then I should already have been processed by them.

I'll follow up with them next Monday.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Does this computer issue stop the background checks or just checking to see whether you were processed?

19. Malum Prohibitum

I can't believe they are not processing fingerprints from crime scenes or arrests all this time.