Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw The American on the flight to SHOT show last week, and then spent a bunch of time handling the PPK at the Walther booth. It reminded me how very cool those things are. Now I just need to be reminded that there is no sense in carrying a PPK in the age of the Glock 26...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'd take the PPK. Done once, done right, perfection achieved. :shattered:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
I'd rather have a PPK as well. JMHO. :D :righton:

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
I'm not a fan of the .380 round, but the bottom line is the gun you like to carry and do in fact carry everywhere is the one that's best for you. Not some other big, thick, ugly hard-recoiling hand-cannon that you keep in the gun safe and only carry once in a while.

Also, keep in mind that Crimson Trace makes a laser-grip for the PPK. This should bring that old 1920s design into the modern era of defensive handguns.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You may be attempting to compare apples and oranges...both are fine pistols but have (IMHO) different missions. The PPK is for deep concealment or as a back-up gun while the G 26 could serve as a primary carry piece. The PPK would never serve as my primary EDC piece.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I like the PPK its a "nice" looking gun, but with today's single stack 9mm's like the PF-9, LC9, and the PM9 it doesn't make a lot of sense unless your sensitive to recoil.

The PPK I really liked had an alloy frame only available in .32. That was a gun back in the day.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
jdh31313 said:
You may be attempting to compare apples and oranges...both are fine pistols but have (IMHO) different missions. The PPK is for deep concealment or as a back-up gun while the G 26 could serve as a primary carry piece. The PPK would never serve as my primary EDC piece.
A PPK is just fine with proper shot placement. Primary sidearm for many a German in WWII. Efficiency is in the hand of the beholder.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Puffyfish said:
jdh31313 said:
A PPK is just fine with proper shot placement. Primary sidearm for many a German in WWII. Efficiency is in the hand of the beholder.
as well as James Bond, and he is like a Narwall, the jedi of the British sea!
A PPK is a very concealable hand gun.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Have a PPK in the gun cabinet...

Don't have a Glock.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I own two PPK knockoffs. FEG PA63 and SIG P230, both in .380. It's a classic design and still functional, as others have said, for BUG or deep cover duty. I carry mine every now and again because I can't ankle carry my P220.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Puffyfish said:
jdh31313 said:
Primary sidearm for many a German in WWII.
And we see how that worked out don't we? :lol:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I picked one up on Thursday. It is a S&W PPK in great condition. Now, I want to add brown grips - which are apparently pricey, so I'm also considering painting these. Overall, its cool - I like it. I'm not convinced it makes sense as a carry gun, but I like it.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I like the Makarovs over the PPKs. Virtually the same design, fraction of the cost, great quality (the German ones anyway), and the 9x18 round is almost easier to find than .380 (and is once again cheaper)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dcannon1 said:
I like the Makarovs over the PPKs. Virtually the same design, fraction of the cost, great quality (the German ones anyway), and the 9x18 round is almost easier to find than .380 (and is once again cheaper)
The PPK is totally an emotional buy for me, and only a PPK can scratch that particular itch. In fact, I really should have gotten a German one.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
michaelgee said:
Puffyfish said:
jdh31313 said:
as well as James Bond, and he is like a Narwall, the jedi of the British sea!
A PPK is a very concealable hand gun.
It cracks me up when people saw the stainless PPK we had and say "ooh it's the James Bond gun"...and I have to be a gun store snob and point out that Mr. Bond carried a blued PPK in .32 but has since evolved and now carries a P99.So even James Bond realized the PPK was a relic. :lol:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mathar1 said:
It cracks me up when people saw the stainless PPK we had and say "ooh it's the James Bond gun"...and I have to be a gun store snob and point out that Mr. Bond carried a blued PPK in .32 but has since evolved and now carries a P99.So even James Bond realized the PPK was a relic. :lol:
However, he alternated between black and brown grips depending on the film...haha. The P99 is a great gun. I stumbled across a good one when I was looking for a Glock, and I love it (as long as I don't have to buy magzines, or parts, or holsters...).

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I still can't put this thing down. It drives me crazy because I know that, first, my Glock 26 is essentially the same size with more firepower, and second, there is no reason for a gun this small anyway because I can carry my P99 without a problem.

Still, it is a cool gun that I'll probably find myself carrying despite my own mind telling me not to.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
ber950 said:
I like the PPK its a "nice" looking gun, but with today's single stack 9mm's like the PF-9, LC9, and the PM9 it doesn't make a lot of sense unless your sensitive to recoil.

The PPK I really liked had an alloy frame only available in .32. That was a gun back in the day.
I actually think the recoil on my PA63 and P230 is worse than most of the 9mm or .45 handguns I've shot. The PA63, especially. It's a very sharp recoil. I guess due to the design and orientation of slide to your hand or something, I don't know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts