Walmart joins the anti-gun social responsibility movement

Discussion in 'In the News' started by RedDawnTheMusical, Sep 3, 2019.

1. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Just saw a news flash on my phone that Walmart is halting handgun ammunition sales and 'short barrel rifle' sales nationwide. Also ending handgun sales in Alaska (already ended handgun sales in other states previously). Finally, they are also asking, regardless of state law, that no one open carry in their store.

2. RedDawnTheMusical

Found a link: https://www.apnews.com/bc34b70298c745f6929797c6726d2f33
    Apparently it isn't SBR's that they are stopping the sales of, but rather the ammo. I'm not sure what SBR ammo is, but I assume that they mean .223/5.56, .300 blk, 7.62, etc.

The CEO stated “We have a long heritage as a company of serving responsible hunters and sportsmen and women, and we’re going to continue doing so,” - apparently to him that means just shotgun ammo.

I guess that this worked out to well for Dick's, Walmart thought it was a great idea? Yeah. Walmart needs to look at their customer base (hint: it isn't Debra Messing or Alyssa Milano).

3. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

4. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

I'm sure this will not play well at the Ellijay Wal-Mart. Was only a question of time before they caved though; Sam Walton has been gone a long time and W-M is run by the finance guys now.

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It doesn't say "short barreled rifles." It just says "short-barreled" and handguns. I take that to mean shorter-barreled rifles and shotguns, i.e., those near the limit for registration. But they don't say.

6. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

I just read in a different article that Walmart will continue to allow concealed carry by customers with permits in their stores.

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I thought that was understood even in the articles linked in this thread. It says in each instance that they are asking customers not to carry openly. They are not banning guns. They just went Starbucks.

8. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

Just went to Walmart this morning in Tifton. Did not know of this till this afternoon from the wife. Tried getting assistance in the outdoors section to buy ammo and waited nearly 20 minutes and no one showed up. 2 floor managers walked by and said someone will be with us shortly, then walked away smirking. We felt this was usual behavior for Walmart.

Little did I know....... Guess I no longer shop at Walmart.

Yes I was carrying openly as always, no one said a word about it.

9. RedDawnTheMusical

Apparently they were referring to what they call short barreled rifle ammo, which is their term for AR and AK ammo, even though ammo like .223/5.56 is used in rifles other than modern sporting rifles.

I believe that, as part of their commitment to "sporting hunters", they are still selling shotguns and bird shot/sporting clay rounds.

10. RedDawnTheMusical

Yes - CCing only is the new policy as per the memo, although they are leaving it up to store managers to elect if they want to enforce it, apparently acknowledging that this policy won't be popular with many of their locations.

11. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

That WM will still be plenty busy. There will be some "boycotters" but that store isn't closing anytime soon.

12. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

What will all the boycotters do? No Waffle House? No Wal Mart? Oh the gnashing of teeth...

Baba Yaga likes this.
  13. latter_day_hippie

latter_day_hippie Well-Known Member

I expect this won't be a popular point of view, but...

1. I don't agree with the WM CEO's decision but they are a private business and they can do what they want. If they do too much I don't like I won't shop there. This doesn't rise that level for me (see below).

2. I expect the "no open carry" decision was made for the same reason Starbucks went that way - Starbucks just wants to sell coffee, and Walmart just wants to sell... well... everything. This policy lets me rrtain means to defend myself and reduces the potential some snowflake will know (and therefore offended/outraged/freaked out about it). I would be much more upset if WM had told me I was unwelcome to shop there armed whether or not I was concealed.

3. Walmart has been under attack by the anti-gunners pretty much constantly over what represents a de minimus portion of their business. From (strictly) a business perspective, I am sure the risk management team and the number crunchers determined that the net margin contribution from the combined sales of handguns in their Alaska stores, non-hunting/sporting rifles, and non-hunting/sporting rifle and pistol caliber ammunition over a decade or so was probably non-material (if not completely insignificant) and certainly far less than the cost of the legal/PR headache the next time an active shooter sourced an EBR and/or ammo from them. I have ONCE bought non-sporting/hunting rifle or handgun caliber ammo at Walmart (when a pricing error was made and they told me I could have tem boxes at that price anyway) and I never have (or would have) purchased anything other than a .22 plinker from Walmart.

4. I suspect WM will be making some probably quiet contrubutions to pro-gun organizations to balance the PR scales.

If 2, 3, or 4 prove to be wrong I will probably be more upset and less likely to shop with them.

hma153 and Adam5 like this.
  14. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Hate that WM took that route but I don't shop at any WM ever so no issue from that standpoint. Will do without and eat meal worms before I go in one of those stores.

15. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Lived there 5 years. Its standard customer service.

Nemo

16. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I buy car stuff but not much else at WM.
    Ever try to get the ammo or paint clerk with the key to help you ? Never works for me.

17. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

Kroger has followed suit. Who is next?

Ronnie likes this.
  18. RedDawnTheMusical

With the very vocal Leftist putting pressure on all stores, most stores will follow suit.

19. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Lidl and Aldi haven't caved yet. I'll be spending more money with them now.

20. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Less money, and none if I can help it, to be spent by me at Kroger and Walmart.