Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Walmart Ammo not sold after 8pm???

4K views 56 replies 38 participants last post by  phantoms 
#1 ·
I was told I could not buy ammunition from Walmart after 8pm on two occasions at a store near me. Anyone had any problems buying ammunition after a certain time?

#4 ·
Not like that in Dalton or Dunwoody. I have bought ammo at 1am in Dalton back during the shortage, and well after 10pm in Dunwoody. I have always had to wait ten or 15 minutes but they never failed to sell it to me.

#6 ·
There is a time limit at the Suwanee store on Satellite. I don't recall the time, but I'd swear it changes based on who is working.

#10 ·
Was told just yesterday at the store off P'tree Industrial inside 285 that Chamblee ordinance prevented the sale of any ammo at any time. Closest Walmart that sells it is Roswell.

#13 ·
Taurus92 said:
Was told just yesterday at the store off P'tree Industrial inside 285 that Chamblee ordinance prevented the sale of any ammo at any time.
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-173
Legislative findings; preemption of local regulation and lawsuits; exceptions

(a)(1) It is declared by the General Assembly that the regulation of firearms
is properly an issue of general, state-wide concern.

(2) The General Assembly further declares that the lawful design, marketing,
manufacture, and sale of firearms and ammunition to the public is not
unreasonably dangerous activity and does not constitute a nuisance per se.
(b)(1) No county or municipal corporation, by zoning or by ordinance,
resolution, or other enactment,
shall regulate in any manner gun shows; the
possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase,
licensing, or registration of firearms or components of firearms; firearms
dealers; or dealers in firearms components.

#15 ·
I believe I had bought ammo on at least one maybe two occasions previous to 8 pm in the last month and a half. I had went last week and the guy told me that and I though he didnt want to go get the key. I was at the old national store.

I asked if I could buy cigarettes after 8pm and she said yes, I dont smoke but I know cigarettes tend to be lethal also. I bet I could buy a bunch of wine in the food section after 8pm and they wont care even though I could get drunk in the parking lot and cause an accident.

#17 ·
1-call and speak with the manager be sure to get his or her name.
2-get said manager to tell you that it is WalMart policy..they will.. (the mgr at the centerville store 1st told me it was state law, then corporate policy, then he told me it was another mgrs rule)
3-call 1800walmart, and make a complaint about store mgr making up policy and lying to you and that you want to buy ammo, and that you would like to know what the policy is.... tell them you would like to speak with the market mgr for that store.
4-MAKE SURE THEY TAKE YOUR NAME AND NUMBER
5-wait 1 day YOU WILL receive a call.... first from the market (district) mgr. who will explain that walmart has no such policy... ammo sales are 24/7 in every store unless regulated by law such as beer and cigarettes. you should then get a call from the store mgr who will be kissing your butt and telling you to come in and buy ammo anytime.. he will probably offer you a $10.00 gift card that can be picked up at customer service.
6-visit the store, pick up gift card, ask for assistance with ammo... the mgr will be very quick to help you..
7-within a week you will receive a call from walmart customer relations asking if the situation has been resolved to your satisfaction..

that was pretty much how it went for me.....

#18 ·
FRAMER said:
Most of the time it is managers rule. Managers like to make up rules in Wallys or a clerk.
They got nothing better to do.
Yup, you get the good and the bad. Many of the managers are a crock and aren't worth their own weight in dung. I have bought at the North store in Acworth on the way to work (11pm) on a few occasions, but it was a PITA to get someone to come back to the counter and assist me.

#20 ·
SongDogSniper said:
Never had that problem at my favorite ammo-selling Walmart in Cumming. Hell, in my experience if they are open and selling milk, they are selling ammo and hunting/fishing supplies. :righton:
:cheers: Heres to having good gun toting 2A friendly (most of the time) people and businesses here in good ole forsyth county. I've been just about every where here with my gun Oc'ing and not once have I been told to leave or go home. I did once have a sheriff deputy tell me it was illegal to Oc in GA though.. I fixed that problem rather quickly, he now ignores me when he spots my jeep wrangler with the GeorgiaCarry.Org sticker on the back. I love my county and the people for the most part in it.

#21 ·
TippinTaco said:
SongDogSniper said:
Never had that problem at my favorite ammo-selling Walmart in Cumming. Hell, in my experience if they are open and selling milk, they are selling ammo and hunting/fishing supplies. :righton:
:cheers: Heres to having good gun toting 2A friendly (most of the time) people and businesses here in good ole forsyth county. I've been just about every where here with my gun Oc'ing and not once have I been told to leave or go home. I did once have a sheriff deputy tell me it was illegal to Oc in GA though.. I fixed that problem rather quickly, he now ignores me when he spots my jeep wrangler with the GeorgiaCarry.Org sticker on the back. I love my county and the people for the most part in it.
Hear, Hear!

The only time that an officer in Forsyth Co has said anything anout my OCing here was a Cumming City officer at Starbucks that wanted to know where I got the leather holster for my PPK/S.

#23 ·
I work until 1:30 or later everynight and have on quite a few occasions stopped at the wally in Oakwood and bought 9mm, 22lr, and 17hmr and never had a weird look or trouble. They always walk the ammo to the front register but thats about the only thing that i would say is crappy but i do understand why.

#24 ·
The Wal-Mart in Marietta (near big chicken) used to have a policy of not selling ammo after 11 p.m.
The sporting goods counter guy said it was something about their store policy designed to prevent murders, which usually happen at night.

#25 ·
gunsmoker said:
The Wal-Mart in Marietta (near big chicken) used to have a policy of not selling ammo after 11 p.m.
The sporting goods counter guy said it was something about their store policy designed to prevent murders, which usually happen at night.
I do recall this many many many years ago in TN. Now that you mention it that way. My dad had a conversation with the woman after she decided to sell it to us anyways, she explained the killings after 11 pm.

Dad asked/told her verbatim: If I wanted to hurt someone the time frame isn't going to be the thing that would stop me. Secondly if you think walking the ammo to the front of the store to the register would stop someone from doing something at wal-mart after receviing the ammo, you guys may need to work on your backup plan.

She looked pretty shocked but honestly dad had a very very valid point. Someone who plans to go on a shooting spree at a walmart will come prepared to start the mayhem, and then will use the ammo at the store to restock his while in the process.

#26 ·
Hamilton Mill asked if I could do it when they have more staff next time, but sold it to me anyway at 5am. Manager was huffing and puffing as we walked the short walk to the ammo counter and asked me why didn't I have a smaller pistol (was OC with XD .40 duty). I said why, I like this one and those smaller things don't hurt as much. She looked funny and then said I must be related her husband.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.