Wal*Mart

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Rammstein, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

So....time to stir the puddin' again....

Who here does not like Wal*Mart? This came up in a class discussion recently and I wanted to see what the consensus was here.

2. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I am against shopping there for food, but I will go for little things like cleaning supplies, ammo, engine oil, etc. I try and get in and out as fast as possible.

Pro's: They have everything and its Cheap

Con's: Its always packed with stupid people who dont speak english and I hate being around crowds and stupid people. (I think I have a phobia)

The best part is the long lines, so I go to the self-check-out and sure enough there is a stupid person with 2 things and it takes them 10 minutes to scan them and pay and I feel like hurting someone...

No Offense to said stupid people...

*This is from a customer perspective. From a business perspective, I am a capitalist and business is business....

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I hate going in there and only will for especially good deals on some things or when I need something and everything else is closed. Used to get alot of ammo there but now that Mrs. Gunns is working for our local gun shop I get her 25% discount which is much better than Wally World prices. :D

4. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Wal-Mart. God, you want to talk about a topic that is beaten to death if you get a Business degree. I had Wal-Mart coming out of my ears for years!

I'm a capitalist, I guess. I'm no economist, and I don't know all the numbers, but I do belive that the free market corrects itself and is inherently fair... given subtle and limited manipulation by the government. I guess I kind of fall into the camp of "survival of the fittest".

Most people that have problems with Wal-Mart seem to either fall into one of two major camps.

A) Wal-Mart eliminates small businesses.
    B) Wal-Mart treats their employees like crap and/or has immoral business practices.

Is there a cry smilie? I don't see one, so I'll just use the wishy-washy one ---> :?

A) So what? If small businesses can't adapt, they will fail, regardless of their competitor. Many small businesses have faced Wal-Mart and survived often by offerering personal service leaps and bounds above that of Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart buys their products from a lot of small-businesses... they don't really 'create' that many products. Case in point, there is a Wal-Mart in Lawrenceville but there are at least two "Meat-Man" markets within 3 miles of it.... one is brand new! They offer a specialized service in a more personalized setting... obviously some people pay a bit more for that. Another example is the CD store that closes once wal-mart moves in but then the previous owner designs and markets a CD-holder or something and sells millions to Wal-Mart for them to sell at their stores.
    B) A lot of places treat their employees like crap. Maybe I'm just jaded, but if your employer is that crappy... just leave. Again, maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never felt "trapped" by an employer or trapped in any situation I couldn't move out of. If getting paid the amount you make is worth getting treated like crap, then shut up and deal with it. Obviously, these people dealing with crumby work environments don't take a job at the smoothie place across the street.. probably because they don't pay as much or don't have benefits. Wal-Mart must offer something for all of those people to be there. Of course, if Wal-Mart breaks the law, they should get in major trouble, but when it comes to employee treatment, you could say the same things about any company.

Lol... so long-winded. Wal-Mart is fascinating, actually. They make up something like 3% of the GDP... Wal-Mart and big oil combined probably rival the fed-gov in terms of actual power. Perhaps they'll get struck down like AT&T, but I think the market will strike them down to size on it's own. It's when the government starts regulating that things get shaky.

The same people that avoid shopping at Wal-Mart because they dislike them are, I think, like the people that won't eat meat just to prove how strong their morals against animal "cruelty" are. It really doesn't make any sense, but that measure of commitment brings some people satisfaction. Every head of lettuce plucked from the ground stands a good chance of chopping the head of some po' widdle wabbit by the blades of a combine.

5. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I do like to support local businesses when I can, but right now, financially, I have to look out for number one.

I have no problem shopping with whomever can give me the lowest price. Sometimes it's not WalMart. Most of the time, it is.

I'm a capitalist at heart.

The only time I have qualms with walmart as a company is when I read about some of their less than ideal treatment of their employees. But, theoretically, they con go work somewhere else if they don't like it.

I love their ammo prices :D They even beat buying online in bulk after you factor in shipping on a $ per bullet basis.

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

My dad has a saying:

"There are two organizations you don't want to take on: The Boy Scouts and The Marine Corps. You'll lose every time."

Maybe he should add WalMart to that list.

7. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

i worked for wal-mart for awhile... i didn't think they treated their employees any different that UGA does... actually maybe better. they always forced me to take breaks.

the only problem I had was it seemed good employees were penalized more than the constant problem ones. of course that is a management thing more than a coporate thing.

I like the small walmart in elberton more. it still had sam walton feel to it with little old ladies that really wanted to help.

it does suck if you work there you only get a discount on the products a small walmart would sell so not auto service or groceries (unless they are drinks and chips)

you do get a bonus check each summer and sometimes at christmas. they were always cooking food for us for some reason or another.

8. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

I hate Walmart. I won't even let my wife shop there. :shock:

First, the stores remind me of a shopping in communist China. The only thing missing is the stupid water fountain in the front playing Christmas music in May. :roll:

Second, I don't save money when I buy cheap chinese junk, TWICE. Walmart crushes its suppliers so much that they in turn cut quality. I'd rather pay 20% more knowing that I will get double the life out of non-walmart purchased product. BTW - If you think you are getting the same brandname product at Walmart that you do elsewhere, think again.

Third, I rarely carry. The exception is on the very rare occasions that I venture in Walmart. I'm not sure who is worse, the employees or customers.

A side note: I once saw and talked to Clark Howard at the Walmart on Cobb Parkway. He was a very nice guy. The funny thing was that I was the only customer to recognize him. He told me that nobody ever recognizes him at Walmart.

9. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

when i found that they were discontinuing sales of firearms at my local wally world i was disappointed,when i talked to a sporting goods manager about it,i found out that the P.C.movement has caused promotion to middle mgt.(district level) of female brady bunch members. this has caused me to avoid doing buisness with them if at all possible. sam walton is probably spining in his grave :roll:

10. maddog

maddog New Member

Poor ol' Sam Walton has been spinning in his grave for many years. I can remember when wal-mart was all made-in-usa products instead of just cheapest junk on the face of earth, and employee's were all courteous and helpfull.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

i worked at the walmart here in statesboro and i could use my discount at any walmart/sam's club nationwide...

the bonuses at my store were based on how well inventory went. it kinda sucked because i worked there during inventory, but didn't work there when the bonuses went out. oh well.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My wife calls that being too poor to buy cheap.

There are somethings that I'l buy there, somethings that I won't. If I need a Coleman cooler and Dicks, that's where I'm getting it. I used to get most of my ammo there, but i can get cleaner ammo at Dicks now for even money. If I need a few groceries, a new pair of headphones for my IPOD, fishing tackle, ammo, and weed killer, I'll go there because it's one stop shopping. I will not buy fresh foods there. The quality isn't there. I used to shop there alot, because everything was cheap. Now I would rather pay a little more to get better quality products. I would rather pay $15 for a polo at the Jos A Bank Outlet or on a sale at Macy's, that will last for a few years, than $8.99 for one at Wal-Mart that will last 6 months.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I got nothing against WalMart.

I shop there every week for groceries. It cost less than going to an actual grocery store so it works out for me. I get my ammo from them.

I've not seen the cheap stuff that people whine about. They have all the name brand stuff you could want there. I had to buy a dry erase board to keep track of school stuff and the board that I got was the same board you would find in an OfficeMax or similar retailer.

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

If I have to go grocery shopping Friday or Saturday or during the time when all the students come back to school for Fall semester, I'll go to Harvey's or BI-LO.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I only shop at WalMart after 11pm. That way there aren't 50 billion people clogging the aisles.

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

6 am works better for me. :lol:

17. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

WOW....some really strong feelings here about this place. While it doesn't offer the most enjoyable shopping venue, Walmart is the essence of capitalism and serves a very valuable purpose. They're really no different than a Costco, Sams Club, Office Depot or Home Depot in that they negotiate hard with their suppliers to get the best prices which they then pass on to the massses who really need them. This is no different than what you and I try to do with our own businesses....whether we admit it or not.

They serve a large portion of our lower income population by helping them to extend their wages by giving them more purchasing power for their buck. For those who don't mind waiting on line or dealing with sometimes under educated help, saving $$ is foremost on their mind and Walmart serves that purpose.

As for "lower quality" merchandise, that's just plain poppycock! 99% of the merchandise is the EXACT SAME merchandise you buy anywhere else, although at a higher cost.

Never mind about how well they do or don't treat their employees. Let their employees decide that for themselves and deal with it on their own. Most of them are thrilled to get a job at all and even more so to get one at Walmart. If a Walmart employee decides he's capable of more, he'll find a way to get it at Walmart or somewhere else.

Man, we can really be elitists sometimes. Luckily, we can all shop where we want and pay more or less for the same items. But let's not be so petty as to make up reasons why we do so or to put down the place that gives a choice to those among us who otherwise would have none.

Just my .02

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Good post larryg2!

19. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Thanks...I'm on my way to Walmart to buy ammo & targets now! :wink:

20. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

The only qualms I have with Wal-Mart is when they try to use the power of government and eminent domain abuse to acquire land to build one of their stores.