Waiting period:

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by SigP229, Oct 17, 2007.

1. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

I posted this on anothers thread but really am looking for an answer now. Couple of months ago at the Savannah gun show I purchased a weapon without giving my SSN and it took like 3 minutes...the other week I was at Mission Essentials and purchased a weapon and it took like 3 business days. I don't have a GFL yet. What would cause this to happen? What would cause the NICS to go so fast one time and so slow another? Any theories?

2. M249

M249 New Member

The problem is that you're expecting consistency from a gub'ment agency? :)

I had a check that took a month, a check that took one business day, and a check that took 5 minutes.

3. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

So I guess that they're consistant :lol:

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've only had to do one check, and it was instant (the one in FL). The rest of them I just used my GFL.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

A month? Wow... I thought it was either instant or up to 72 hours.

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

If they have not acted in 72 hours, you are due the gun. The month long check should not have happened.

7. M249

M249 New Member

The FFL is allowed to release the firearm after 72 hours, but they are not required to do so.

Wild West Traders (cka Hot Shots) does not release the firearm until the check comes back approved. It was a nightmare trying to get everything squared, and is the primary reason I hate doing business with WWT.

8. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

FBI NICS E-Check Help
    When does the 3-business day waiting period for transfer of a firearm begin?
    The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 requires that Federal Firearm Licensees (FFLs) perform a background check before transferring a firearm. The firearm transfer can be delayed for up to 3-business days while this background check is performed. If local, state, or federal laws prohibit the sale of a firearm to the individual, the firearm transfer will be denied. The 3-business day waiting period begins when the FFL contacts (see below) the NICS.

What constitutes contacting the NICS?
    Contacting the NICS is defined as when the FFL receives a NICS Transaction Number (NTN). If an NTN is NOT received by the FFL, the transaction has not been processed through the NICS and the 3-business day waiting period has not begun.

9. M249

M249 New Member

24 x 3 = 72 :)

Guess I should have specified business days.