Waiting in Rockdale

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by shamalama, Jul 12, 2007.

1. shamalama

shamalama New Member

I'm on Day 72 waiting for my first GFL. My son, a Marine on Inactive Reserve, got his in less than 60 days.

The probate court "warned" me on the day I first applied that it could take up to 16 weeks to get a GFL.

How long do you recommend I continue to wait until I need to escalate the issue?

How would I go about escalating the issue?

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Don't wait. Act as soon as you can. First, call your local Probate Court and see if they've received the results of the background check from the Sherrif/Police Dept. If they have, then you should receive it soon. If not, call the department that did your fingerprinting and see if your prints have been sent out. If they haven't ask why. If they have, as for their ORI number. Then, call GCIC and and ask about the status of your fingerprints. They will need the ORI number.

3. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

:up:

4. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Guys, y'all ain't gonna believe this:

I took your advice and called the probate court. At first they said "but it takes 16 weeks", at which point I reminded them about the 60-day law and the fact that my son got his in less than 60 days.

So they put me on hold, came back to get the exact spelling of my name, and (shock, gasp) it was put in the mail yesterday. I should have it today or Saturday. Coincidence?

This is the second time the court has mentioned the "16 week" phrase, so I decided to check out their website (http://www.rockdalecounty.org/main.cfm?id=2386):

FIRST: Let's see if I do get my GFL this weekend. Surely to goodness intra-county mail won't take more than 2 days.

SECOND: Is the Rockdale Probate Court's website in violation of GA law, something that GCO might want to consider?

5. budder

While GCO's working on that already, there has already been a ruling allowing probate judges to take more than 60 days. I don't have time to find it now, but I'm sure MP will post it later.

Here's to you getting your license soon!

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Nope. :lol:

But you can find it if you click on the yellow button, above, titled "Gun Laws." Then there are four options. Case law is one of them, and the decision is the most recent, all the way at the bottom of the list. It is the only 2007 case on the list.

GCO has asked the Supreme Court to look at the case. Keep your fingers crossed that they take it and reverse the Court of Appeals.

GCO is also working on a legislative solution, by the way. :wink:

7. budder

Lazy bum!

8. shamalama

shamalama New Member

IT CAME IN ... IT CAME IN ... IT CAME IN

Happy happy am me!

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

AWESOME! Where are you going to carry first?

10. shamalama

shamalama New Member

My, oh my, I haven't thought about who will get my Carry Cherry.

All I have is a pocket holster and have already been pocket carrying for two months. But Open Carry? I haven't even thought about that.

OK, I'll go to the store during lunch and get myself a decent hip/belt holster. But where to y'all suggest I go for my first time. I doubt it will be either Wachovia or BB&T. :wink: I don't think the gun store really counts, does it? Isn't Wal-Mart "supposed" to be everyone's first OC location?

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Southern Holsters

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Not sure...that was my first CC location...I've only concealed since I got my GFL.

13. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

:shock: :shock: :shock:

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:shock:

15. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

:shock: :shock:

16. budder

Well, it's the normal place for one's first CC, but if you've been doing that already...

WalMart corporate policy is to ask you to cover up if someone is alarmed or asks, so I don't know if it's an ideal place for your first OC adventure. Maybe you can find some ideas here: http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... highlight=

17. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Yeah, I know, I've been flirting with disaster.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also drank a beer before I was 18, and I haven't paid every penny I owe in federal taxes. Quite the rebel, huh?

BUT THE IMPORTANT thing is that I'm legal now and plan to exercise my right to Concealed Carry everywhere I'm able - and if I gather up enough nerve I might even Open Carry. Geez, I wasn't THIS NERVOUS back in 1978 with Mary Tucker when my parents went away for the weekend ...