Wacky Leftists on Collective Right

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Clayton Cramer is duking it out with leftist intellectuals who are defending Saul Cornell.

http://www.claytoncramer.com/weblog/200 ... 3515552755

For those who do not know, Saul Cornell, funded by the Joyce Foundation, wrote a book that can be summed up as: The Founders intended a collective right to keep and bear arms in the context of men enrolled in an organized militia, but the understanding of the words changed a couple decades later with the opening of the 1800s, to this myth that it had something to do with individuals.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I love how they try to claim that "bear arms" is used only in describing the military.

Ummm, the phrase is "keep and bear arms". Why not look for how many military uses of keeping arms there were?

Cause then they would not have much of an argument I would assume.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The Ninth Circuit got around that by saying it meant the same thing.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well the Ninth Circuit is also the most overturned court and I believe makes up nearly half of all cases SCOTUS hears.

In fact they probably think global warming brought about perpetual darkness outside because they spend so much time with their heads up their butts.

And that was me being nice.

5. fallison

fallison Guest

:rotfl:

6. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I find it almost incomprehensible that somone could interpret the phrase ".. the people" as used in the First, Fourth, Fifth (person), and Tenth ammendments as being the people of the United States and then turn right around and believe that "...the people" as used in the Second applies only to Federal, or State troops.

Futher, I find it laughable that the Founders who worked long and hard at creating one of the finest documents ever to be given unto the world, fogot that armed forces, by their very nature require arms and hastily inserted an amendment preserving their right to be armed in the middle of what we commonly refer to the Bill of Rights; the first ten ammendments.

I can see it now ..... A candle lit room with the Founders working late at night. Then, there's a cry from the gallery , "Hey genius! yeah you Madison... Don't ya think we should make an ammendment so our Army can keep and bear arms? Y'know because they're the people, right? Oh, and we might want to put a move on getting it ratified, we might want to make our militia into a National Guard in a hundred years or so, you nkow what they say...'you can't professionalize unless you federalize'.