Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent an e-mail to Wachovia tonight after learning of another incident on their premises involving an armed subject. It is as follows:

wsweeks2 said:
I have been a Wachovia customer for less than one year, and recently I have been made aware of a policy which concerns me.

As you may be aware, since May 16, 2007, there have been two incidents on or around Wachovia locations involving armed robbery attempts in Alabama and Virginia.

The first event took place in Bessemer, Alabama when William Merriweather Jr. entered the location. Mr. Merriweather wasn't there conducting business, but rather holding up the branch - and in the process taking 2 lives. Mr. Merriweather obviously ignored the signage at the entrance to the location advising that firearms are not permitted on the premises by Wachovia. The news story outlining this incident can be found at the following link: http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/i ... thispage=1

The second incident occured just yesterday, July 7, 2007 at the Fredericksburg, Virginia location located on Jefferson Davis Highway. This incident occured when an armed gunman attempted to rob a female victim at a Wachovia ATM located at the branch on Wachovia property. Again, the suspect apparently ignored the signage advising that firearms are not permitted at Wachovia.

As a customer who is in possession of a Georgia Firearms License, or GFL, I have undergone the necessary background check requirements concurrent with Georgia law and am permitted to carry a firearm either openly or concealed on my person in accrodance with State Law. The Official Code of Georgia Annotated, or OCGA does not prohibit me from carrying my firearm inside any banking establishment, however Wachovia policy does.

This policy is obviously one that discriminates against customers who choose to exercise their right to arm themselves for their own personal safety, and in some cases, the safety of those around them. It is obvious that those who intend to commit crimes do not follow the policy set forth by Wachovia, however this does not prevent crimes from occurring on Wachovia property. What it does however is disarm those who are not determined to or inclined to commit criminal acts.

I am requesting an official response from Wachovia in regards to the following:

1- Is there any intent to change this policy to allow their law abiding customers to conduct their banking business without having to disarm, and;

2- If the policy is not to change, will Wachovia be making a press release advising those who enter Wachovia premises armed to commit crimes that firearms are NOT permitted.

The response I receive from Wachovia will determine the future relationship of mine with the bank. Please be advised that I am also an active member of GeorgiaCarry.org, or GCO, an organization acting to reform the legislation pertinent to GFL holders and their rights. Any response from Wachovia will also be passed along to other members of GCO as well.

I thank you for your time in this matter and look forward to your response.

Regards,
wsweeks2
I will provide updates as I get them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
Well-written. I'd suggest sending a hard copy too. Maybe even handwritten. To me, that shows you took more time. I think the email in combination with a handwritten hard copy will be more effective than just one or the other. Where did you send it? You could try sending it to several higher up people to see what you can get done. Let us know what comes of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have saved it and will be delivering a hard copy to the branch manager where I conduct my business. I will also be requesting the names of those up the chain from the branch manager to copy them as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
I am also a wachovia customer, they have been great as far as customer service but I whole heartedly disagree with this policy. May have to take my business somewhere else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
wsweeks2 said:
I have saved it and will be delivering a hard copy to the branch manager where I conduct my business. I will also be requesting the names of those up the chain from the branch manager to copy them as well.
:righton:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,937 Posts
:D Great Job!

But wasn't there an armed robbery at the Wachovia off of Chapel hill rd. in Douglasville, GA a while back too.

About a month ago I was closing my account there and the lady at the front desk said there had been a recent robbery and she was held at gunpoint, I told her she should get her GFL and she said that she had one but she wasn't allowed to carry while at work and neither were customers. I said "good thing I'm closing my account, because I'm carrying right now." She just smiled... and I left, never to return again.

The end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I had known about that so I could have included it. I think they'll get my point.
 

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
Joined
·
28,259 Posts
Other Banks?

So does any bank have an official policy about allowing armed civilians? Let's not go asking them, because I don't want to do anything to cause them to "post" their propery if it's not already posted due to an oversight. But does anybody know of such a bank that has numerous branches in Georgia?

I told my Wachovia branch manager that I normally carry a firearm, and I would not agree never to enter their bank with it. And I did not promise them that I would not store an unloaded gun in my safe deposit box, although I think they made me sign for a copy of their rule book, which said it's against the rules to put guns (even unloaded ones), dead possums, live rattlesnakes, dynamite, or hazardous biomedical waste in their boxes. So I was fully aware of the policy shortly before I violated it. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a response back. Here it is:

wsweeks2 said:
Dear wsweeks2,

Welcome to Wachovia! My name is Jennifer B. and I am happy to assist
you.

Thank you for contacting Wachovia regarding this issue. To further
discuss Wachovia's policy regarding weapons, please contact a
representative with our Corporate Communications Department at
704-374-3465.

If we may be of further assistance with this or any other issue, please
do not hesitate to contact us via email, telephone or a financial center
visit. Have a wonderful day.

I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

Sincerely,

Jennifer B.
I'll be following up with that address. If anyone has any info on any further Wachovia issues, please let me know so I can add them as well.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,798 Posts
I've said it before...the ladies at my Bank of America have no problem with my openly carried pistol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,798 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
But does that apply to any other Bank of America?
I've been to a handful of BoA's and no one has ever given me the stink eye. All smiles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
wsweeks2 said:
I got a response back. Here it is:

wsweeks2 said:
Dear wsweeks2,

Welcome to Wachovia! My name is Jennifer B. and I am happy to assist
you.

Thank you for contacting Wachovia regarding this issue. To further
discuss Wachovia's policy regarding weapons, please contact a
representative with our Corporate Communications Department at
704-374-3465.

If we may be of further assistance with this or any other issue, please
do not hesitate to contact us via email, telephone or a financial center
visit. Have a wonderful day.

I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

Sincerely,

Jennifer B.
I'll be following up with that address. If anyone has any info on any further Wachovia issues, please let me know so I can add them as well.

Thanks!
Notice they don't respond in writing and only give you a phone number. I believe that they are evading the request. I guess we'll see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
pro2am said:
wsweeks2 said:
I got a response back. Here it is:

wsweeks2 said:
Dear wsweeks2,

Welcome to Wachovia! My name is Jennifer B. and I am happy to assist
you.

Thank you for contacting Wachovia regarding this issue. To further
discuss Wachovia's policy regarding weapons, please contact a
representative with our Corporate Communications Department at
704-374-3465.

If we may be of further assistance with this or any other issue, please
do not hesitate to contact us via email, telephone or a financial center
visit. Have a wonderful day.

I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

Sincerely,

Jennifer B.
I'll be following up with that address. If anyone has any info on any further Wachovia issues, please let me know so I can add them as well.

Thanks!
Notice they don't respond in writing and only give you a phone number. I believe that they are evading the request. I guess we'll see.
I was sorta thinking the same thing. It basically looks like a form reply to me. Better than nothing, I suppose...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top