http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/343 ... 07.article April 16, 2007 BY MICHAEL SNEED Sun-Times Columnist Authorities were investigating whether the gunman who killed 32 people on the Virginia Tech campus in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history was a Chinese man who arrived in the United States last year on a student visa. The 24-year-old man arrived in San Francisco on United Airlines on Aug. 7 on a visa issued in Shanghai, the source said. Investigators have not linked him to any terrorist groups, the source said. Police believe three bomb threats on the campus last week may have been attempts by the man to test the campusâ€™ security response, the source said. The exits to the buildings where the shootings occurred were chained by the shooter, the source said. Students complained that there were no public address announcements or other warnings on campus after the first burst of gunfire. They said the first word they received from the university was an e-mail more than two hours into the rampage â€” around the time the gunman struck again. Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said authorities believed the shooting at the dorm was a domestic dispute and mistakenly thought the gunman had fled the campus. â€˜â€˜We had no reason to suspect any other incident was going to occur,â€™â€™ he said. He defended the universityâ€™s handling of the tragedy: â€˜â€˜We can only make decisions based on the information you had on the time. You donâ€™t have hours to reflect on it.â€™â€™ Steger said the university decided to rely on e-mail and other electronic means of notifying members of the university, but with 11,000 people driving onto campus first thing in the morning, it was difficult to get the word out to everyone. Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum would not say how many weapons the gunman carried. But a law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was incomplete, said that the gunman had two pistols and multiple clips of ammunition.