VSU Spectator letter to editor

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by patrick4588, Oct 7, 2010.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Good job Charles Curtis!

P.S. The idea of banning guns by just passing a law and putting up signs is absurd.
    If schools really SHOULD be gun free zones, then take effective steps to stop criminals and crazies from bringing weapons on campus. Have 14 foot tall fences with barbed wire. Seal off most entrances and exits, and only allow one way to get in or out with a "security checkpoint" with full searches of all bags and boxes, coats and sweaters, and anything else that can hide a weapon.
    Make the students take off their belts and shoes, each day, each time they go in or out of any building on campus.

Oh, that's too much?

Well, that's the only way to disarm homicidal-suicidal nuts on a rampage.

Passing a law and putting up signs only disarms the good guys and gals. The ones who feel compelled to follow the rules and obey laws. These are exactly the people who pose NO threat to others.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Oh, are you the author?

3. oxfat

oxfat Member

Whoever wrote it, its a great letter. I really like the comparison to putting a "gun free zone" sign in your front yard.

4. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

5. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Good job. Writing a nice reasoned "Letter to the Editor" can really help shape folks opinions.

6. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

For many years, students have already been subject to searches at schools, even going as far as having to empty pockets, purses, bookbags, etc. for examination of contents. This has been done in the name of safety. What it really does, is conditions our future generations to accept more intrusions/invasions into out lives.

7. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

Yep I wrote it. I stole the comparison from the gco email :) lol. I had two others back in the spring when the bills were in assembly. My business law professor had me talk about the bill and explain things since a few students were freaking out.

8. RickN

RickN New Member

One of my best friends is strongly anti-gun; a real disarm-everybody if-nobody-had-guns-wouldn't-the-world-be-wonderful type.

I asked him once if he would put a "Gun Free and Proud of It!" sign in his front yard. After all, I reasoned, if having no guns was so much safer then he should be loud and proud about being disarmed. Share his wisdom with the world and all the Candler Park area residents. He declined.

9. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I don't fault a person who believes if there were no guns in the world it would be a better place (though I'd miss out on some of my favorite activities).

It's when they can't understand that no matter what, there are going to be guns in the world that bothers me. It's a fantasy to think that stopping legal sales of guns would remove all guns from the world.

10. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

World wouldn't be a better place. Without weapons you can't fight off oppression. Before guns were around, people were still murdered, war was still raged. Man is inherently violent and no matter the technology age, blood will be shed.

11. RickN

RickN New Member

The 90 pound woman running from a rapist is not thinking "Thank God there are no guns in the world". Ditto the homeowner when 2 knife-wielding BGs invade his home.

Guns have uses both, good and bad. Removing guns from society removes those bad uses, to be sure, but it also removes the good. Unfortunately, my friend sees only the bad side. So, he wishes for some blue-sky nirvana than can never exist, no matter how many guns control laws are written or gun-free zones set up.

12. oxfat

oxfat Member

Hmnn.. I've got to read my GCO emails more carefully.

13. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Excellent letter.

Maybe... Just maybe..... some "Ivory Tower" types may read it and actually have a "real world" type thought in reaction to it.

Hey! I said 'maybe'.....!

You probably won't change many minds, but you just may get thru to one or two. That's not much, but it's a start. Keep up the good fight and, just maybe, one day common sense really will win out...

14. Speevl

Speevl Active Member

Nice... I just hated that the incident coincided with a 2nd amendment camous carry rally two weeks ago. Rather convenient for the establishment.

15. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

I submitted an online comment to the Spectator web page quoting some facts and figures about active shooting incidents, but the comment hasn't made it online yet.
    ----

I have a B.A. from VSU.

The Spectator is an interesting bird. It is supported by student funding and advertising revenue, but other than having a faculty adviser, it is independent of oversight from the University; so, the staff pretty well has control of the content.

When I was there, a very liberal student managed to get selected as editor and made it plain and clear that she would not allow any form of conservative viewpoints to be expressed in the paper. I was president of the SGA Senate, and probably could have pushed the issue somewhat since the paper was receiving student funding.

However, a buddy of mine who was an English major decided to start a newspaper/literary magazine as a competitor that was completely advertiser supported. I wrote the political commentary for each issue with the back page of each publication having my piece above the fold with a full half page ad below it. The advertiser specifically gave approval to have his ad on the page with my pieces.

Publication ended when we graduated.

I wrote all of the above to illustrate how The Spectacor is a publication of a select few students. Editorial control is completely within that select group.

16. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

i didnt know that legacy. they are pretty good about not being too liberal opionated though and ive never had any of my publishings edited or refused for content. So at least they let us say whatever we want! :righton:

17. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

legacy, your post is showing up under comments. why dont you submit that to the editor so it can run in thursdays paper? would be very good to see some support in the paper besides what i write.

18. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

The editor changes every year. The past couple of years seem to have seen an improvement in content. I submit online comments in response to articles from time to time, and I never had a problem getting them allowed.

I submitted the comment last night. When I checked earlier today it wasn't showing, but I see it showing now.