VPC statistics - on the number of gun dealers ????

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Vir Quisque Vir, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Vir Quisque Vir

Vir Quisque Vir New Member

On the VPC site, there is a statistic that I wonder if it is about correct. Anyone know?

"Number of Gun Dealers in U.S. Drops Almost 80 Percent Since 1994—From 245,628 to 50,630—New Violence Policy Center (VPC) Report Reveals

California Leads Nation in Decrease (-89%), Followed by Hawaii, (-88%) Massachusetts (-88%), Florida (-87%), and Connecticut (-87%)

America Once Had More Gun Dealers Than Gas Stations, Now Only Five States Do: Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Wyoming

WASHINGTON, DC—The number of gun dealers in America has dropped by 194,998 since 1994 according to a new study released today by the Violence Policy Center (VPC). The study (see http://www.vpc.org/studies/dealers07.pdf) found that the number of Type 1 Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs) plummeted 79 percent: from 245,628 in 1994 to 50,630 in 2007. (The Type 1 FFL is the basic federal license required to sell guns in America.)"

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0314/p02s01-ussc.html

3. Vir Quisque Vir

Vir Quisque Vir New Member

Thanks for the additional references. It looks like all this meshes well with the notion in the health field (medical fields) that the CDC and other health field people decided to "reduce the number of firearms in personal possession" throughout the U.S. "by 25%. The notion that this reduces violent crime is ridiculous. The real social science work on firearms did not start until around the 1970s and it refutes nearly all of the assumptions made about firearm possession by law-abiding people. Most of the liberal politicians and the Brady group, among others, still do not understand what those findings mean in terms of gun control and violent crimes involving handguns. There are likely hundreds of millions of firearms in the U.S., so it is unlikely on any reasonable time scale that weapons will not be available to criminals. The easy way in Georgia is just to crash your pickum up truck through the front door of the gun shop and take 5 finger discounts. Like I said, my stainless 686 and .38 cal stainless S&W revolvers will be around for generations, not just a few years. Microstamping is not much of a cure, criminals will just try to use pre-microstamping firearms. Pretty soon, they will be microstamping or chemically altering batches of shotgun pellets to comply with the law. Bottom line, with fewer gun dealers, more expensive ammo, more restrictions on the type of firearms allowed and the anti-gun laws, unless the situation is halted or curtailed, higher FFL charges, a rogue ATF, Fentys and Bloombergs, the fight will just continue. I for one intend to be in the fight for the long haul. Is this, in fact, the tyranny of government against its citizens to which the founder fathers referred? Smart guys those founders!

4. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

This drop in dealers, how many of them were kitchen table FFL's?

5. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

Hey, resemble that remark.

6. AeroShooter

I thought you kept your stuff in the garage...

Actually, you're not the one's I'm thinking of. You're trying to grow a business.

I seem to recall that it was popular for gun collectors to get an 01 FFL and order thru the mail and/or buy wholesale for themselves and not as a business.

7. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

Yeah your right, I've got an engine on the kitchen table and a transmission in the bath tub.

I know what you meant, but I did meet the ATF agent and go over all the particulars at the kitchen table, so I guess there is some truth to the statement.

8. AeroShooter

Whatcha you gonna do with all that junk, all that junk inside your tub...