Vote to Ban members

Discussion in 'Website & Forum Suggestions' started by foxtrotterz, Jan 9, 2011.

1. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

Sorry if this is clearly stated in the rules that I scanned when I signed up, but can we look into voting members off the island?

I used to love coming here to read info, but now there are so many jacktards that it makes it miserable to stop in and see whats going on. It might make this place a little more interesting if we could vote a few people off. It shouldn't have to be done but about once a month, slowly we might clean this place up.

2. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

This website is the property of Gunstar1. He pays for it entirely out of his pocket.
    He has always done a good job of deciding who needs to go.
    If someone is doing something wrong - report them and they will be banned.
    If you just don't agree with what someone says - ignore them and move on.
    Just my opinion.
    :wink:

3. js415

js415 Active Member

A group of people getting together to vote somebody else off is a really bad idea.

The only reason to do that would be because of the persons opinion or general attitude.

It is not our place to censure the opinions of others, or their attitudes.

Gunstar1 owns and manages this site very well. He makes the rules, he hands down the punishment.

We do not need to create a "special class of people" that gets rid of folks we do not like.

My opinion only.

Jerry

4. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

5. jsmn4vu

jsmn4vu New Member

...and remember, if there's someone you're just unable to ignore, you can always hide them.

6. yrualeg

yrualeg Member

Banning is a Staff issue and they are the Final Approving Authority no matter what the members decide...Leave it to them.

7. AV8R

AV8R Banned

What if someone thought your posts were crap and their idea of "cleaning this place up" meant YOU being the first one voted off the island?

8. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

You can individually ignore people. Try it, it works.

9. hkdave

hkdave New Member

I was going to recommend that as well. If you don't use that button than you just really enjoy reading their posts...

10. elandil

elandil Redneck Engineer

Where is this ignore button?

11. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

Pull up their profile and push foe.

12. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

So if I wanted to "foe" you (I don't but since you asked the question I used you as an example), I would just click "Add foe" and then confirm it. Voila! I wouldn't see your messages anymore.

You do see a line that says something to the effect of:

So you still have the option to read it, but you don't have to.

And you can turn it off by removing them from your foe list.

Hope that helps.

13. GotUrBack

GotUrBack New Member

That would represent a true democracy, which no one in their right mind would want. If someone could come up with a representative manner to ban someone that would be ok with me. However, as it currently stands, the Dictator approach is working fine!

14. AV8R

AV8R Banned

That's what I see when Lawton "contributes" to a thread. :)

15. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I can't think of a single person that I would vote for having banned.
    Those who are unpopular usually either wind up leaving on their own, or their platforms and ideas bring enough controversy to keep this from becoming a mutual mister bation session.

There are a few that I'd vote for NOT allowing to leave though. They post far too seldom and are missed.

16. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The national "Packing.Org" website that Mark Solomon used to operate ended up having a system where people could rate each other, and increase or decrease their "score." If your score got too low, you got hidden, just as if everybody else called you a "foe" here.

It didn't work real well. People created multiple accounts just so they could vote more often to give themselves and their buddies positive feedback. And the m1911 fans would always stick together and slam the score of anybody critical of John Moses Browning's wonderful invention, and the Glock fans would slam anybody who used the phrase "tactical tupperware" (unless they were known Glock owners themselves, sort of like how only black comedians and actors can use the N-word....). And let's not forget how all the ideologues would yell "troll" and slam the score of anybody who said anything about compromise, or willingness to go along with some kind of reasonable gun control. If you didn't chant the mantra of "ALL PEOPLE, ALL GUNS, EVERYWHERE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, IT'S MY RIGHT!" then you were seen as a troll sent from the Brady Campaign.

No, forget the rating system, or any "ban" feature that calls for votes that are tracked and tabulated by a computer.

I'm okay with Gunstar1 banning people as needed on a case-by-case basis. And if he wants to solicit opinions from the public, or from other moderators, before making a final decision on somebody, that's okay by me too.

17. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

I was a bit tired, had been working on a project for about 24 hrs and decided to post that. Its funny, everyone who posted are pretty much my favorite members here. I was kinda saying it in a joking tone, figured I might get an entertaining thread going instead of most of you getting defensive. I agree it is GS's forum and he does a fine job running it. I recon if we all agreed we wouldn't have any fun around here. I have tried the ignore button, but people's comments I enjoy reading will actually take the bait and worse, quote one of the idiots. Then, after I have ignored someone, I will end up reading their comments anyway.

I understand that. You are actually one of my absolute favorite people to watch out for on the forum. I realized my random thread would perhaps rock the boat, I just figured it might have gotten to be a bit more entertaining of a thread than everyone getting all uptight.

I just can't stand it when people take up bandwidth in my threads. /sarcasm

18. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

19. Paladin

Paladin Fattus Patrickus

A perfect example of how the written sentence doesn't always convey our feelings or meaning properly. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for GS1 not to look at any one of our replies at some point during our swim in his pond and not go "Oh, this cheesehead has GOT to go!" :lol: