Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the latest :bs: from the Alexandria PD (http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... hp?p=59458), I've decided that it would be in my best interest to carry a voice recorder on my person.

This one was linked in the OCDO thread, but I was wondering if any of you have any experience with these things. I'd want one that's not too expensive, small, durable, reliable, quiet (no loud buttons), digital (bonus points for easy computer transfer), and can record for at least 4 or 5 hours.

I imagine that shouldn't be too hard to find, but I'm specifically looking for units that you've had experiences with. I'd hate to get one that looks good on paper, only to find out the buttons are hard to press. On the other hand, one that looks ugly, but does all of the above functions and records real well through a pocket would be excellent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
Try to find one that uses a USB cable or similar for transfer to a computer. I have a digital voice recorder that doesn't have such a feature. I have to use a patch chord from the recorder to the computer using the headphone jacks and use a program to record while playing in real time. My recorder eats through batteries; so, I may buy some of the digital camera batteries for it get better life.

Carrying a recorder isn't a bad idea. It comes in handy for many uses from recording conversations with the police, recording driving directions, and when dealing with "customer service" people.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,624 Posts
asbrand said:
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/2581_VN-480_PC.htm



This is the one I have. Keep it clipped to the sun visor of my car, in case of being pulled over. Just have to hit the "REC" button and let it be.

Does a decent job.
Excellent!

It is supplied with a tie-clip microphone to allow hands-free recording and earphones.

Batteries: Two 1.5 V AAA (LR03 or R03) batteries.

Battery life: Alkaline batteries approx. 25 hours Ni-MH rechargeable batteries approx. 19 hours
(according to Olympus standard tests)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
asbrand said:
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/2581_VN-480_PC.htm



This is the one I have. Keep it clipped to the sun visor of my car, in case of being pulled over. Just have to hit the "REC" button and let it be.

Does a decent job.
I gots one of these too, very useful
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,313 Posts
I use a voice recorder frequently. The utility is immense.

Here's my list of core requirements.

capacity/quality -- 8-10 hours of quality audio
battery life -- longer the better; must expended memory before battery
data transfer -- USB

Here's my preferred capabilities:

micro-SD card (up to 2GB of storage)
MP3 audio (1 meg/min quality audio)

If you have a PDA phone, there is software to create this capability... and means you have one less device hangin from your belt.
 

·
Tactical Statistician
Joined
·
13,595 Posts
Reading this forum is making me paranoid and broke. This forum combined with my recent desire to record my annual performance review has made me look into one of these. I think I will be picking one up this weekend. Will I show my receipt on the way out? Time will only tell. LOL.

Sony Digital Voice Recorder ICD-P520
 

·
Tactical Statistician
Joined
·
13,595 Posts
LEGAL QUESTION

Hey lawyers -

I have several related legal type questions.

(1) Is it legal to record conversations with other parties without their knowledge? For example, if I get in a conversation with a store customer service rep/store manager/security personnel/etc. can I hit record without announcing my intent? Would anything recorded be admissible in court?

(2) What would a LEO do if they noticed me recording an interaction/field investigation? Someone already posted that they keep theirs clipped to the visor. Great idea. If you record the traffic stop and something goes bad, would the recording be admissible?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,119 Posts
Re: LEGAL QUESTION

VOLGRAD said:
(2) What would a LEO do if they noticed me recording an interaction/field investigation? Someone already posted that they keep theirs clipped to the visor. Great idea. If you record the traffic stop and something goes bad, would the recording be admissible?
I would jump right out with, “I’m going to go ahead and record our conversation,†as soon as the officer got up to my window or walked up to me (in an “official capacityâ€).

You notice how the cop in MO calmed down noticeably when he noticed the camera in the kid’s car?

Well, maybe we should just make sure that everybody knows that everyone is keeping track of what is said before any one of us starts to head down the wrong path…
 

·
Romans 10:13
Joined
·
4,649 Posts
Georgia is a one-party consent state and you are the party consenting. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
Mine is in camo!

Actually I bought a Creative Labs Vision M, Mp3/picture/movie player. I like it for many reasons, one of which is because it also has an on board microphone and does a decent job of recording.

People are used to seeing mp3 players and the like so I can record without anybody knowing. :D

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
GeorgiaGlocker said:
Georgia is a one-party consent state and you are the party consenting. 8)
Do you know what code section says that? I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but I'm curious.
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-66 (2007)

§ 16-11-66. Interception of wire, oral, or electronic communication by party thereto; consent requirements for recording and divulging conversations to which child under 18 years is a party; parental exception

(a) Nothing in Code Section 16-11-62 shall prohibit a person from intercepting a wire, oral, or electronic communication where such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
1911packer said:
ptsmith24 said:
GeorgiaGlocker said:
Georgia is a one-party consent state and you are the party consenting. 8)
Do you know what code section says that? I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but I'm curious.
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-66 (2007)

§ 16-11-66. Interception of wire, oral, or electronic communication by party thereto; consent requirements for recording and divulging conversations to which child under 18 years is a party; parental exception

(a) Nothing in Code Section 16-11-62 shall prohibit a person from intercepting a wire, oral, or electronic communication where such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception.
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-66 (2007)

§ 16-11-66. Interception of wire, oral, or electronic communication by party thereto; consent requirements for recording and divulging conversations to which child under 18 years is a party; parental exception

(a) Nothing in Code Section 16-11-62 shall prohibit a person from intercepting a wire, oral, or electronic communication where such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception.
So there IS good stuff in title 16 of the Georgia Code! I'm shocked :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top