Voice Recorders

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by budder, Jul 22, 2007.

1. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

After reading the latest :bs: from the Alexandria PD (http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... hp?p=59458), I've decided that it would be in my best interest to carry a voice recorder on my person.

This one was linked in the OCDO thread, but I was wondering if any of you have any experience with these things. I'd want one that's not too expensive, small, durable, reliable, quiet (no loud buttons), digital (bonus points for easy computer transfer), and can record for at least 4 or 5 hours.

I imagine that shouldn't be too hard to find, but I'm specifically looking for units that you've had experiences with. I'd hate to get one that looks good on paper, only to find out the buttons are hard to press. On the other hand, one that looks ugly, but does all of the above functions and records real well through a pocket would be excellent.

2. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Try to find one that uses a USB cable or similar for transfer to a computer. I have a digital voice recorder that doesn't have such a feature. I have to use a patch chord from the recorder to the computer using the headphone jacks and use a program to record while playing in real time. My recorder eats through batteries; so, I may buy some of the digital camera batteries for it get better life.

Carrying a recorder isn't a bad idea. It comes in handy for many uses from recording conversations with the police, recording driving directions, and when dealing with "customer service" people.

4. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

I agree completely. 8)

5. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Excellent!

6. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

I gots one of these too, very useful

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've got a recorder...somewhere. :lol:

8. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

I use a voice recorder frequently. The utility is immense.

Here's my list of core requirements.

capacity/quality -- 8-10 hours of quality audio
    battery life -- longer the better; must expended memory before battery
    data transfer -- USB

Here's my preferred capabilities:

micro-SD card (up to 2GB of storage)
    MP3 audio (1 meg/min quality audio)

If you have a PDA phone, there is software to create this capability... and means you have one less device hangin from your belt.

9. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Reading this forum is making me paranoid and broke. This forum combined with my recent desire to record my annual performance review has made me look into one of these. I think I will be picking one up this weekend. Will I show my receipt on the way out? Time will only tell. LOL.

Sony Digital Voice Recorder ICD-P520

10. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

LEGAL QUESTION

Hey lawyers -

I have several related legal type questions.

(1) Is it legal to record conversations with other parties without their knowledge? For example, if I get in a conversation with a store customer service rep/store manager/security personnel/etc. can I hit record without announcing my intent? Would anything recorded be admissible in court?

(2) What would a LEO do if they noticed me recording an interaction/field investigation? Someone already posted that they keep theirs clipped to the visor. Great idea. If you record the traffic stop and something goes bad, would the recording be admissible?

11. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Re: LEGAL QUESTION

I would jump right out with, “I’m going to go ahead and record our conversation,†as soon as the officer got up to my window or walked up to me (in an “official capacityâ€).

You notice how the cop in MO calmed down noticeably when he noticed the camera in the kid’s car?

Well, maybe we should just make sure that everybody knows that everyone is keeping track of what is said before any one of us starts to head down the wrong path…

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I thought one party had to be aware of it, and I don't see why that party can't be you.

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Georgia is a one-party consent state and you are the party consenting. 8)

14. 1911packer

1911packer New Member

+1

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Do you know what code section says that? I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but I'm curious.

16. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Mine is in camo!

Actually I bought a Creative Labs Vision M, Mp3/picture/movie player. I like it for many reasons, one of which is because it also has an on board microphone and does a decent job of recording.

People are used to seeing mp3 players and the like so I can record without anybody knowing. :D

[​IMG]

17. 1911packer

1911packer New Member

18. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

Having a voice recorder would have saved me from a good amount debate in the past... :evil:

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Thanks.

20. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

So there IS good stuff in title 16 of the Georgia Code! I'm shocked :lol: