Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted something in the General GWL Questions specifically regarding vision requirement and wanted to continue on this so thought I should post the rest here.

My father in law is a retired LEO who carries 24/7. His vision has been getting worse over the last few years and we think he won't be able to drive in 3 to 5 years with corrective lenses.

I've been asking him to go the range for the last year, really I want to see his accuracy on a silhouette at close range. He always makes an excuse not to go. I'm concerned he will accidentally shoot someone either by mistaking their identity or completely missing his target. He's the suspicious of everyone he sees (or doesn't see) type.

Is anyone here vision impaired or know of someone who is and carries? I'm curious if they have firearm training for the vision impaired and what they teach.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,108 Posts
Before laser eye surgery I had terrible vision without glasses. I would be "legally blind" and barely able to walk down a sidewalk in broad daylight without my Coke-bottle glasses. I saw the world the same way you see underwater with naked eyeballs--no goggles or swim mask.

Recognizing my limitations if my glasses were ever to be knocked off by an attacker, I practiced shooting and reloading without my glasses. Naturally to be effective I had to be really close to the target. But at close range I could get the hits on my one man-sized target. No hits to any other people's targets next to mine.

Same thing for identifying the person and recognizing the threat. Naturally the range is limited to close distances. Lighting makes a difference too. Outside of the effective range of your eyes, don't shoot. Know the limitations of your visual acuity and keep your self-defense use of firearms within those limitations.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice gunsmoker. It's hard for me to imagine what my father in law is going through since I don't wear glasses but I know what it's like seeing underwater. I need to convince him to go to the range so he knows what he's capable of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts