Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to OpenCarry.org and Packing.org effective July 1, 2007 Virginia Concealed Handgun Permits will be lifetime!

Tried to find the bill or code but was unsucessful.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
:?: :?: :?:
Sounds to good to be true :eek:

To bad we do not have an agreement..... :cry:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have come up with a little more info.

You would still have to be fingerprinted/background checked every one or two years. Which was supposed to be done by the authorities but the legislature didn't fund that part.

So at this point a life time permit may not happen.

·
69,318 Posts
Wiley said:
Have come up with a little more info.

You would still have to be fingerprinted/background checked every one or two years. Which was supposed to be done by the authorities but the legislature didn't fund that part.

So at this point a life time permit may not happen.
Well, Viriginia does not require fingerprints at all now, so this bill is going to change that?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I'm getting, in bits and peices, it's a background check. I read on one of the boards that fingerprinting was involved but some of the posters seem to have as little knowlege as I.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
booo! hisss!

From OpenCarry.org
Lifetime permits did not receive funding!

Here is the email I sent late on Feb 23 to VSP:

Dear VSP:

Will Virginia concealed handgun permits become good for life on July 1, 2007 per § 18.2-308 J5? The 2006 HB1577 removed the need to renew a CHP every 5 years subject to the legislature funding annual background checks by the VSP. Has the VSP received such funding to perform these background checks?

Sincerely,
rlh2005

And their response yesterday:

Dear rlh2005:

The provisions of Chapter 886 of the Acts of Assembly, 2006 Regular Session, relating to lifetime permits was subject to the limitations set forth in the following language found in the second enactment clause of the Bill:
2. That the provisions of this act creating subdivisions D1 and J5, amending subsection I, and amending subsection D, eliminating the five-year permit and subsection H referencing expiration of such a permit shall not become effective unless an appropriation of funds effectuating the purposes of these provisions is included in the general appropriations act for the period of July 1, 2006, through June 30, 2008, passed during the 2007 Session of the General Assembly, which become law; if such funds are appropriated, then such provisions of this act shall become effective on July 1, 2007.

The provisions of the law were made contingent upon the General Assembly appropriating funds for this purpose. The General Assembly did not include such funds therefore the provisions of Chapter 886 (HB 1577) relating to lifetime permits will not go into effect.

Sincerely,

Donna K. Tate, Manager
Firearms Transaction Center
Virginia Department of State Police

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Naw, just normal politics. Throw the peons a bone and then take it away through the back door. :evil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts