Virginia Tech Shooting - Sad Irony

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Mike from Philly, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

From Roanoke.com ... Roanoke Times Jan. 31, 2006

A little more than a year later

When will the Government learn that the only people disarmed by thier laws are the law abiding. By requiring the victims to be disarmed victims, Virginia is as guilty as the murderer.

2. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I'm sure the university's response would be something like "imagine how much worse it could be if people were emboldened HB1572". :roll:

3. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

BTW FoxNews.com says at least 21 people were killed.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

At least 21 killed according to Yahoo news.

5. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Dang shame that those 21 dead weren't allowed to carry to defend themselves..>Ya know darn well the campus police can't protect them.. :?

6. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

FoxNews.com is claiming that there were shootings at opposite ends of the campus: one between 7:15 & 7:30 and the other at 10:00. The police are saying that they do not believe them to be related. :shock:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266310,00.html

7. TruthMatters

TruthMatters New Member

Mike from Philly,

The error described below has been corrected and was apparently an honest error.

You claim this law was blocked today, that's wrong and you know it. The law failed in January 2006, not TODAY

"From Roanoke.com ... Roanoke Times 4/16/07 (TODAY) "

You selectively cut and paste the story, omitting the January 31, 2006 dateline. The truth is the law failed in 2006, not today. It's a tragedy either way, and this law might have saved lives.

However, lying just to get more impact for your posting and to exploit today's tragedy, only discredits people with legitimate valid concerns about the protection of our rights.

The link to the story you claimed was printed today is here:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

8. mmmTang

mmmTang New Member

Well, thankfully this didn't actually happen because we all know that gun-free school zones prevent people from bringing guns onto campus.

I wonder how long it will take politicians/antis to publicly thank the fact that the gun bill allowing guns on campus failed?

I hope all the antis feel real good about their side right now. My heart goes out to the victims. Hopefully the gunmen will be caught and dismembered.

9. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

Assuming only one gunman....he has expired.

10. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

UPDATE: FOX NEWS IS SAYING IT WAS ONLY ONE GUNMAN AND HE IS DEAD

11. Mike from Philly

Re: Mike from Philly, twisting the facts doesn't help the ca

Hi Larry! Hope you are well.

I purposely stayed out of the AR15 conversation in light of our past history and your MO of criticizing folks but never bringing information to the table. I like sitting in judgement as well but that game doesn't move the ball forward.

Someday, we will meet in person. You'll find me very honorable and truthful. Then, you will regret the comments you made. How do I know this? I've called others names and accused them of unspeakable horrors also and have regreted it when I met them or learned their perspective.

Anyhow .... I've corrected the date. If you look at the Roanoke banner you'll see today's date on the left side in white just below Roanoke.com I didn't notice the 1/31/06 in fine print on the right. My bad.

I should say, I do appreciate you fact checking us. Your efforts will benefit us since it will improve our "product" and sharpen our facts. I hope you continue doing so.

No hard feelings,

Mike M.

PS I researched the links to slavery and Jim Crow and wrote the articles on the GCO site. If in the unlikely event you find errors in those, please feel free to offer critcism and corrections.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Man, this is terrible.

Anyway
    People should not be reduced to having to jump out of windows to escape because they are disarmed by law.

13. TruthMatters

TruthMatters New Member

Nope, not Larry

Not sure what you two have discussed in the past, might make for some interesting reading.

i'm a newbie to the site, directed here because of the "irony" of the law supposedly failing on the same day as the shooting.

I did notice the correction to the dateline and appreciate your acknowledging the error.

It sucks the law didn't pass when they had the chance back in 2006. How many people would still be alive today?

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Maybe 21 people, maybe less. Maybe somebody. A lot of people, as we know, will choose not to carry anyway, and most college students cannot (assuming you must be 21 yoa to carry in Virginia, I do not know), but at least there is a chance for somebody to be armed and defend themselves or others without a gun ban.

We see the results of the gun ban.

Unfortunately, the people who proposed the gun ban will be arguing that what is needed is stronger gun bans.

15. Mike from Philly

Re: Nope, not Larry

Drudge is indicating the toll is 31 and rising. So at least 31.

This is my worst fear for my daughter ... being defenseless waiting for the inevitable. Too many of relatives went that way in the Holocaust.

Gun control killed those kids. Compare the toll at Trolley Square vs here. 1 gun & 8 rounds can make a difference.

16. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Maybe some anti's might understand why unarming lawfully abiding citizens is coming to a head now. More and more these stories are popping up. And they are popping up more in OFF LIMIT areas! Criminals are stupid but they arent deaf. The media tells them where, they carry out their horror.

I doubt all of the antis will understand the importance of allowing "adults" even in college, that qualify, the rights any other adult has off college property. This all could have been avoided if at least one person in 22 had a firearm to help protect fellow classmates. I know I would help.

17. Mike from Philly

A college age student can get married, have sex, vote, join the military, sign contracts, drive a car, pay taxes, etc. and yet they can't be trusted with a firearm.

18. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Just speculation, but the shooter may have used an "evil black rifle" because one of the sources I read said that he had on a vest with many hi-cap magazines.

More fuel for the antis.

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I heard two G17s.

20. peashooter

peashooter New Member

Virginia Tech's ban on guns may draw legal fire
    Some people question whether the university has the authority to ban the carrying of firearms. How about you?

By Kevin Miller
    381-1676

BLACKSBURG - Virginia Tech's recent action against a student caught carrying a gun to class could draw unwanted attention from groups already angry about firearms restrictions on public college campuses.

University officials confirmed that, earlier this semester, campus police approached a student found to be carrying a concealed handgun to class. The unnamed student was not charged with any crimes because he holds a state-issued permit allowing him to carry a concealed gun. But the student could face disciplinary action from the university for violating its policy prohibiting "unauthorized possession, storage or control" of firearms on campus.

Tech spokesman Larry Hincker declined to release the student's name or specifics of the incident, citing rules protecting student confidentiality. But Hincker said Tech's ban on guns dates back several decades.

Students who violate the school policy could be called before the university's internal judicial affairs system, which has wide discretion in handing down penalties ranging from a reprimand to expulsion.

"I think it's fair to say that we believe guns don't belong in the classroom," Hincker said. "In an academic environment, we believe you should be free from fear."

Most public colleges in Virginia ban or restrict guns on campus. But the root of that authority is murky, according to some observers.

Virginia law already prohibits students or visitors from carrying guns onto the grounds of public and private K-12 schools. The state also prohibits concealed weapons in courthouses, places of worship during a service, jails and on any private property where the owner has posted a "no guns" notice. State employees are barred from possessing guns while at work unless needed for their job.

But Virginia code is silent on guns and public colleges. And two bills seeking to give college governing boards the authority to regulate firearms on campus died in committee during this year's General Assembly session.

David Briggman, a resident of Keezletown in Rockingham County, has made it his personal mission to challenge state colleges' authority to enact tougher gun restrictions than the state.

Briggman, who is a former police officer, said he forced Blue Ridge Community College to allow him to carry a gun onto campus while a student. And he sued James Madison University over its ban on concealed weapons even among permit holders. While JMU's policy still stands, Briggman said he has been told by campus police officials that they will not arrest visitors who carry a gun legally.

"It's extremely easy to challenge university policy by looking at ... whether they are given the statutory authority to regulate firearms on campus, and of course, they're not," Briggman said Tuesday.

Hincker, meanwhile, said it is not unusual for colleges to have more restrictive policies than the state. As an example, Hincker said certain chemicals and explosives that are legal on the outside are prohibited in the classroom or in dormitories for safety reasons.

"We think we have the right to adhere to and enforce that policy because, in the end, we think it's a common-sense policy for the protection of students, staff and faculty as well as guests and visitors," Hincker said.

Virginia Tech also has the backing of the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police. In a policy position paper dated April 1, association executive director Dana Schrad wrote that the presence of guns on college campuses "adds a dangerous element to an environment in which alcohol is a compounding factor." Students should not have to be concerned about guns on campus, Schrad wrote.

"The excellent reputation of Virginia's colleges and universities depends in part on the public's belief that they are sending their college-age children to safe environments," the policy paper reads.

At least one attorney who represents college students would like to see the concealed-carry permit issue clarified.

John Robertson, the Student Legal Services attorney at Tech, said he's heard differing interpretations of the policy at Tech. Robertson, whose position is funded through the Student Government Association's budget, does not represent students in disputes with the university but offers free legal advice and services to students on civil and criminal matters.

Robertson said he would like to see either a court or the state Attorney General's Office resolve the matter. As for a university's refusal to honor a concealed-carry permit, Robertson added: "I am dubious that one particular arm of the state can do so without a particular statute."

Hincker acknowledged that the concealed guns issue had "never been tested" and that the university could be opening itself up to legal action.

"But we stand by the policy unequivocally," Hincker said.