Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"He was determined to commit murder, planned the crime meticulously and managed to conceal his homicidal urges from all of law enforcement authorities, and the mental health experts who tried to help him and presumably from his own family," Steger said.
Virginia Tech President Charles Steger

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/22/vtech. ... index.html

So now they say that there was nothing that could have been done? Way is it that they would not say that months ago.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
69,732 Posts
legacy38 said:
The fault for this rests squarely on the shoulders of the murder and no the police or the university.
No fault whatsoever when they prevent any effective means of self defense?

Not even "moral" fault?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
legacy38 said:
The fault for this rests squarely on the shoulders of the murder and no the police or the university.
No fault whatsoever when they prevent any effective means of self defense?

Not even "moral" fault?
They didn't murder anybody. If there is any moral fault, the people of the state of Virginia are just as culpable as they allowed the situation to exists as it did, and the police didn't make the law.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
69,732 Posts
legacy38 said:
If there is any moral fault, the people of the state of Virginia are just as culpable as they allowed the situation to exist
Full agreement.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
69,732 Posts
legacy38 said:
and the police didn't make the law.
I do not see a whole lot of distinction between making bad laws and enforcing bad laws.

I saw it that way when I wore a badge, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
legacy38 said:
and the police didn't make the law.
I do not see a whole lot of distinction between making bad laws and enforcing bad laws.

I saw it that way when I wore a badge, too.
I'll agree somewhat to that point, but I also don't agree that the door should be too wide open for police agencies to start substituting in too much of its own opinion. We don't like it when it works against us; so, we really shouldn't be encouraging it in any case. The rule of law should remain paramount.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
69,732 Posts
Yep. Rule of law. The law applies to all men, with no men being above it. And the Second Amendment is law, right?

:D
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,485 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Yep. Rule of law. The law applies to all men, with no men being above it. And the Second Amendment is law, right?

:D
I guess, though I don't really see it as a law. It's like a guarantee that you can't get rid of unless you can convince a whole bunch of people that it's not a good idea. Or you're in GA. :?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
69,732 Posts
Well, I got sidetracked. I do place blame on VT for disarming everybody on campus and leaving them sitting ducks.

Is the blame the same as that I put on the murderer? Well, no, just like I do not blame those passing gun control prior to the seven major genocides in the 20th century as much as I blame those who actually committed the genocide.

But saying the murderer is responsible should not absolve those who set up the necessary precursors to making the murder not only possible, but likely to succeed on a grand scale.

I do not forgive them, nor do they seek my forgiveness. They are unrepentant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Well, I got sidetracked. I do place blame on VT for disarming everybody on campus and leaving them sitting ducks.

Is the blame the same as that I put on the murderer? Well, no, just like I do not blame those passing gun control prior to the seven major genocides in the 20th century as much as I blame those who actually committed the genocide.

But saying the murderer is responsible should not absolve those who set up the necessary precursors to making the murder not only possible, but likely to succeed on a grand scale.

I do not forgive them, nor do they seek my forgiveness. They are unrepentant.
All of the blame rest squarely on the murderer. If it wasn't for evil, we wouldn't need to protect ourselves.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top