Virginia Tech probe finds no fault in massacre response

Discussion in 'In the News' started by S&W 40, Aug 23, 2007.

1. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Virginia Tech President Charles Steger

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/22/vtech. ... index.html

So now they say that there was nothing that could have been done? Way is it that they would not say that months ago.

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The fault for this rests squarely on the shoulders of the murder and no the police or the university.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

No fault whatsoever when they prevent any effective means of self defense?

Not even "moral" fault?

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

They didn't murder anybody. If there is any moral fault, the people of the state of Virginia are just as culpable as they allowed the situation to exists as it did, and the police didn't make the law.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Full agreement.

6. Malum Prohibitum

I do not see a whole lot of distinction between making bad laws and enforcing bad laws.

I saw it that way when I wore a badge, too.

7. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I'll agree somewhat to that point, but I also don't agree that the door should be too wide open for police agencies to start substituting in too much of its own opinion. We don't like it when it works against us; so, we really shouldn't be encouraging it in any case. The rule of law should remain paramount.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Yep. Rule of law. The law applies to all men, with no men being above it. And the Second Amendment is law, right?

:D

9. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I guess, though I don't really see it as a law. It's like a guarantee that you can't get rid of unless you can convince a whole bunch of people that it's not a good idea. Or you're in GA. :?

10. Malum Prohibitum

Well, I got sidetracked. I do place blame on VT for disarming everybody on campus and leaving them sitting ducks.

Is the blame the same as that I put on the murderer? Well, no, just like I do not blame those passing gun control prior to the seven major genocides in the 20th century as much as I blame those who actually committed the genocide.

But saying the murderer is responsible should not absolve those who set up the necessary precursors to making the murder not only possible, but likely to succeed on a grand scale.

I do not forgive them, nor do they seek my forgiveness. They are unrepentant.

11. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

All of the blame rest squarely on the murderer. If it wasn't for evil, we wouldn't need to protect ourselves.

12. fallison

fallison New Member

It is the killer's fault they are dead. It is VT's administration's fault they were unarmed and thus easily made dead.