Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some holster advice. While I don't plan on carrying it on a regular basis, I would like to carry my 1967 Colt Police Positive Special from time to time. I would like to find a period correct duty style holster for it.

What am I looking for? Something in a black leather basket weave?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,613 Posts
This article has good info and a few photos.

http://www.gunblast.com/WBell_PoliceHolsterHist.htm

50 years ago, most law enforcement holsters were black leather, exposed some of the sideplate and all of the hammer and rear sight, and had a retention strap that had a big snap button.
Oh, and the gun was tipped forward slightly, to make it come out of the holster easier when shoving it toward the threat in front of you rather than drawing it straight up.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,613 Posts
Most duty holsters of that period put the gun low, well below your waistline.

If the holster doesn’t have a hinge to swivel to a mostly horizontal orientation when seated on a vehicle’s bench seat, it can be uncomfortable to sit on such a seat, or a sofa, a park bench, etc.

But those swiveling or pivoting holsters usually don’t have the forward rake or “cant” that is preferable for a quick draw under stress when you’re standing.

Reactions: Harhib

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
From link above. The 2 in the right side column noting Border Patrol or Patrol holsters. Those would be most fitting for the time frame of that weapon. It would be right back on duty with the first holstering. See below.

Nemo

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
So did you place the order?

Nemo

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So did you place the order?

Nemo
Not yet. I'm talking to a local leather maker about it.

It appears that many of the duty holsters at the time has an exposed trigger. It's a revolver with a double action pull, but still........

Maybe I will have the local leather maker make me one that looks right, but covers the trigger.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,613 Posts
Why would you feel the need to cover the trigger on a Colt DA revolver?
Just keep your booger hook off the bang switch until the sights are on target. You’ll be Ok.

Although I think you will find some vintage holsters that do cover the trigger.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
I got a suspicion you will have a tough time getting a same vintage holster with the covered trigger. The vast majority from more than a few years back had the open trigger on them. Well, my brain tells me that from way back then. But it could be wrong.

Nemo

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Window Electric blue Fin Bumper Fashion accessory

I have a Federal Man that should fit if you want it.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
I have a couple of those Bianchis. One for a 5" barrel 1911 and one for a 2.5" barrel Colt Diamondback.

I really like they way they wear and carry.

Nemo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts