Vigilante Justice?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

"A suspect was shot after breaking into a Tri-state home in what could be the latest case of vigilante justice."

Hmmm . . . The options here are that either the journalist is a tad bit biased against the use of firearms in self defense, or there actually was a vigilance committee waiting in the home to avenge a crime and they just happened to know the criminal was going to invade this particular home so that the vigilance committee could dispence justice without resorting to lawful procedures.

Decide for yourself. Link to article.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Sounds more like the neighbors shot him, then beat the hell out of him (or the other way around) before the police arrived. I guess there point is that the neighbors came over to apprehend him instead of waiting for police. Thats about the only thing I can think of.

3. Foul

Foul New Member

I tried to ponder the decision...I REALLY did.
    But then I had to slap myself for being stupid.
    Too bad the vermin survived. Sounds a lot like Darwinism to me.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

not enough info

I don't think the linked news article has enough information. It might be fair to call it an act of vigilante justice IF what happened was that after the bad guys had left the scene of the home invasion robbery, witnesses chased after them, shot them, beat them, and then turned them over to the police.

Not that it would be a bad thing, or automatically an illegal thing. There may be some rare instances when shooting a fleeing felon, if necessary to apprehend him, is appropriate. This might be one of those kind of cases. The news article doesn't have enough detail to say, though.

But my definition of a "vigilante" is one who acts outside of the legal system to detect and capture and then punish a suspected criminal, using methods that are without question illegal and unconstitutional, and would never be tolerated if done by police. The above described incident might qualify as vigilanteism, or it might not. Either way, it's hard to feel sorry for the armed robbers who ended up wounded and captured. Like fowl said above, it's silly to even TRY to feel sympathy for them.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Anyone breaking into my apartment gets a hot lead injection.

My home is my castle!