[video] security guard shoots would-be robber

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by phaed, Mar 15, 2017.

1. phaed

phaed Active Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

When was this? Did he shoot the guy in the back?

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

That last bullet (in the back, if it hit) may have been the one that put him down permanently. But he still had the gun in his hand as he was running away, so good shoot.

Did anyone else notice the guard had to rack his gun to clear a malfunction?

4. phaed

phaed Active Member

yep, i bet he does maintenance on that sucker a bit more from here on out.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Limp wristed it?

6. Feral

Feral Active Member

That very easily could've turned out worse.

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Last round fired, in back, as guy is running away = Good shoot?

I have a problem with that.

You cannot shoot a guy running away from you. IMHO.

Note the crook dropping the gun by the desk as he rolls on the floor, about the 8-9 second mark. This video gives a second view in the first 11 seconds.

Nemo

I cannot see that the video came up. It appears to have space for it but for some reason does not show. I did do proper linkage to bring the youtube in. I must have inadvertently clicked the wrong something or other preventing it from showing here. If you cannot see it, take the space out from between the tube. and com/

https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=x0wSfT1JIKs

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0wSfT1JIKs[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  8. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

I don't think the last round took him down. He got a lot more prior to that.

9. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

I don't think I have an issue with that...do you think you noticed the bad guy dropping the gun while he was shooting at him/being shot at? I'm sure his vision was as narrow as it has ever been. Also, who is to say that the bad guy is trying to find cover and then return fire. Remember he walked in and started immediately shooting...

10. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

It may have been...but people are like deer when they get shot-they run. It could have been any of the wounds.

11. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Did he?
    I didn't see that. I saw the robber walk in quickly, brandish his gun toward the ceiling, and then he noticed the security guard drawing on him. So the bad guy ducked behind cover and shot in the direction of the security guard . Guard shot back.

Did the bad guy shoot into the ceiling as he entered the bank? I didn't see any shot or see a case eject or see a puff of smoke at the end of his weapon.

Details like this really matter because the general rule is you don't shoot fleeing felons in the back because they attempted to rob somebody earlier, but are now retreating.

12. John1976

John1976 New Member

Only problem I have with the last shot is the question of backstop. What if that last shot missed?

13. Nemo

Gents, look at it from a prosecutorial point of view. It appears to me many above are looking at it from behind their own sights. Change positions.

Was that last round one too many? Argument yes it was-- You take the responsibility of carrying a gun, you take the responsibility also of not shooting when a reasonable person would not shoot. Was the guy reasonable when he shot the fleeing man in the back after the fleeing man had dropped his gun?

Nemo

14. Feral

Feral Active Member

I would argue that in the heat of the moment most if not all mental processing is relinquished.

What you do know is you were shot at. You don't know if he's still armed or not (you could've missed his pistol being dropped, easily).

You're returning fire.

All you need is reasonable doubt. I'm no lawyer but I could see a jury siding with the security guard easily. He was just shot at.

15. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

I think a very good argument can be made that a reasonable person, in that exact same high-stress situation 1) wouldn't have noticed that the dude had dropped his gun and 2) wouldn't stop shooting until the threat was neutralized. In that kind of situation, with the adrenaline surge that the guard surely must have been experiencing, I think it entirely unreasonable to expect him to stop that trigger finger from moving as soon as a threat turns his back.

Personally, I think if you commit an act of aggression like this and someone pulls their own weapon and starts shooting, you shouldn't be able to magically stop the response just by turning your back. You brought the response upon yourself, and sometimes that response isn't what you bargained for. :launcher:

16. wee

wee Active Member

Couldn't have said it better myself....Walk in a bank with gun in hand to rob the place and you should be shot dead running away or not.

Brian

17. Nemo

Good argument JS.

What about other side when prosecutor says-- you as civilian choose to carry a gun you better know when to shoot and when not to. If you cannot handle that responsibility you should not carry a gun.

You cannot shoot a fleeing felon, you are in no danger (he fleeing, unarmed) and you just kept shooting. You are responsible for seeing he was unarmed because you choose to carry. You cannot make a mistake and kill an unarmed man. You carry that gun, you are responsible for your actions.

Maybe not first 5 or 8 or 10 or however many shots were bad, but last one was murder.

Nemo*

*Just raising questions about things we all need to keep in mind every time we put those pants on with the weapon on the belt or pocket or ankle or where ever its kept.

18. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

I don't doubt some overzealous prosecutor might be able to make that argument, but they still have to convince a jury. And I think that most jurors could see themselves in that situation and understand the incredible stress involved. I doubt that someone would be convicted.

It would still be expensive and possibly life-ruining.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Even when he has fired several shots, is still armed, wearing a ski mask, going out into the parking lot and street with women and children? Shoot him!

20. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Reports are that the perp did shoot into the ceiling upon entering the bank but I can't tell from the videos. And the guard will not be prosecuted.

http://www.wifr.com/content/news/Ro...f-armed-robbery-at-Alpine-Bank-411363285.html