Video of Open Carry Stop

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

From VCDL Alert:

4. Disturbing video of legally-armed citizen harrassed in Norfolk

http://tinyurl.com/297aao

This video is from the second police cruiser to respond to a "man with a gun" call in Norfolk. A private security guard saw the citizen and called the police. There is not much any of us can do to avoid being checked out by the police. The lessons are: 1) carry a recording device; 2) FOIA the police radio traffic and police car video/audio tapes; 3) don't resist -- but make your claims of innocence so the officer, his recording device, and bystanders are aware of it.

Dan Moore, the citizen involved, writes:

Link to OpenCarry.org Post

This vid is from LEO2's dashcam. LEO1's dashcam only caught him coming outside his car with gun in hand, then pointing it at me with no audio.

On 6/29/07 approx 5:22pm, I was picking up a friend in downtown Norfolk. At the time, I didn't have A/C and it was 110 outside, so I stood outside my car in order to remain cool. What happened next I could expect, however what the NPD did, I could not.

They had me at gunpoint, they placed handcuffs on me, illegally searched me, illegally detained, and when it was all said and done, no apology, just if you come out here, you will get this kind of "attention".

For those of you unfamiliar with police procedure, it is unlawful for a law enforcement officer to detain/search you without probable cause - Terry vs Ohio.

Please ask any questions about the dialogue.

I'm going to take this to a lawyer, but I would like to hear from you guys, what I should do next.

Thanks so much for the support!!!

Dan

2. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

In the description under the video, he states that under Terry v. Ohio for the police to stop/search without probable cause. That is incorrect. The standard for a Terry stop is reasonable articulable suspicion.

3. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

This is Virginia. It is not illegal to carry openly permit or not. What was their reasonable articulable suspicion then. Does the guy bare a close resemblance to a known felon or something. All I heard was "I'm just doing my job." That job is limited by the laws of the state and applicable federal provisions.

4. legacy38

I didn't say that RAS existed in this case. I simply pointed out that the individual incorrect in the legal standard set by Terry.

5. tace

tace New Member

Great thing here is that legacy knows this is an unlawful stop since there is no RAS. What I have always wondered is how many other LEOs in GA know this. Because if APD did this to me, which they would likely since I live in such a glorious part of town, I would definitely sue their ass.

6. tace

tace New Member

And how about a response of "well, your job is not to violate my constitutional rights"

:)

7. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I was watching this video last night when the police knocked on my door, one of my neighbors called the police to me for open carry last night. Guess he didn't see the badge though.

8. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I know, I was venting :D

9. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I was thinking about a situation like that just yesterday. What happened, if you don't mind me asking?

10. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Very good point Legacy.

What I want to ask these cops is how they feel about Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266, 120 S. Ct. 1375, 146 L.Ed.2d 254 (2000).

11. Malum Prohibitum

The suspicion in this case was "armed robbery," if I recall correctly. Being black with a gun standing outside a bank waiting for the friend who works there to get off so that you can provide a requested ride home . . .

I think this is the same case.

12. tace

tace New Member

So what you are saying is, this is more about racism than carrying a gun. It's a case of PWB (Packing While Black) ?

BTW, If I am robbing a bank I am not gonna have a visible gun in holster and standing around outside casually waiting.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Well, this one particular case may have been. Hard to tell, but it did not look like he was robbing the bank across the street to me. Or about to.

Northern Virginia police agencies are having a problem with this open cary thing, even though there is no law against it and no license requirement. They arrested a VCDL member named Chet, then dropped the charges. They threatened to arrest his wife for videotaping it (so she stopped).

Chet is white.

He also carries an Hk, and any good police officer would know that criminals do not carry Hk.

So, to answer your question, I am not 100% sure it was about race, but I am suspicious that the officer would not have been holding this man at gunpoint were he white.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Is the Second Amendment still a right if police officers may point a gun at you merely for carrying a firearm?

Is it still a right so long as they promptly send you on your way after the encounter (breathing threats about arresting you, though)?

"Hey, he checked out, so we unhandcuffed him and let him go. We support the right to bear arms."
    :wink:

15. Malum Prohibitum

Well, I may be exaggerating how close he was to the bank. From OpenCarry.Org discussion forums:

16. Malum Prohibitum

On the video, the Danbus kept asking, “Am I being detained?†while he was handcuffed!

:lol:

And then the police officer kept asking, “Are you a lawyer?â€

I wonder what would have happened if the answer to the cop was "Yes, I am"?

17. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

[​IMG]

18. legacy38

They do if they are able to steal one.

19. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Just a correction, Chet was arrested in Norfolk as well which is in the same are where Dan was arrested.

The officers in NoVa (Northern Virginia) however are having similar problems and have harrassed people on more than one occassion. The one that stands out in my mind is the female officer who makes the guy leave a Barnes and Noble while the manager is standing there telling him he is welcome there.

20. Malum Prohibitum