Veto of the Texas Seed Bill - Grover Cleveland

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by EJR914, Nov 2, 2016.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

https://mises.org/library/veto-texas-seed-bill

Next time you hear somebody spouting off that the goverment needs to give money to someone, just remember that we once had a President who said this and meant it.

With 750 vetoes I imagine this is exactly the kind of President Gary Johnson would have been. He would have vetoed all their crap and their crazy spending bills, cut taxes and spending. Dismantling dozens of useless and unconstitutional bureaucracies. It would have been glorious.

If only I knew how Republicans got so statist and so into welfare and social programs.

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

A very interesting part of the section cited above. Talk about buying votes.

Nemo

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Me, too.

Unfortunately, with women having the vote, libertarian arguments are losers among the voting populace. They are not even really up for debate in any meaningful sense of the word. They are reserved for watching John Stossel and fringe men posting on the internet (yes, I realize that includes me).

4. Malum Prohibitum

I was in Chicago for work last week. The talk radio and ads there are completely the polar opposite of here. All far, far left. Even the ads for Republicans brag about how far left the Republican candidate is. It was pretty amazing. Anyway. one particular add for state legislator (I can't remember if it was Indiana or Illinois) bragged at length about all the state spending he brought home into his district in that state. It went on and on . . . as if the entire purpose of electing a state representative is to rob your neighbors and get the money spend near you.

5. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

My Mother lives up in Alaska. A number of years back, I was visiting about the time Ted Stevens was running for re-election for the 121st time. His ads also pushed the agenda of "for Alaska", which *would* and *should* be a valid reason, but a most of the talking points were about his strong record of bringing taxes "back" to Alaska (which is a misnomer when the tax revenue is #47 out of 50 states) and the numerous bills he pushed that would fund projects in Alaska. So...both parties are guilty.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Oh, in case I was not clear, it was a Republican legislator's ad.

7. EJR914

There are more women in the liberty movement than ever, things can change

8. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Excuse me? Why do you place this problem at women's feet? This is a gun forum and we cannot convince the majority of males to vote libertarian.

9. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

I think it's in the Constitution somewhere.

[/sarcasm]

10. EJR914

Yep, very true

11. Sad reality is I've seen them justify it with the "promote the general welfare" part of the Preamble.

12. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Yeah, but theft in the name of taxation doesn't even do that.

13. EJR914

For those of you who do not believe that there are women in the Freedom Movement, if you have Facebook, go into the group's Gary Johnson for president, or Gary Johnson dank memes, and just take a look around at the postings in the comments, a very large section of them are women.

Same thing for anarchist as well.

Men are big statist too.