Veteran in Reno cuts down illegally-flown flag

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gsusnake, Oct 3, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=6314

A Mexican flag flying above an American flag? Not for this guy.

While I don't necessarily approve of the news station's action (trying to provoke something like this is not necessarily a great idea) I do, wholeheartedly, approve of the end result.

2. GunNut

GunNut New Member

All I can say is good for him.

"No Comment?" Of course not, they probably didn't understand a word he said.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

He did a good thing.

4. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Can anyone point to a flag law that has been upheld by the SC? I know there is flag etiquette that has been placed into the US code with the states tasked with passing penalties to violations of the flag law, but I can not think of a single flag law penalty that has been upheld when it goes to the SC. In every case I can think of, the first amendment trumped flag statutes.

That being said, as a former military man myself I have a tremendous amount of respect for the flag. I fly one daily and when the flag I fly gets old, I take it down and dispose of it by fire in a respectful way. I, too, would have been angry if I had seen this, but I think the vet handled it completely incorrectly. Now, he will be painted as a racist extremist and if the owner decides to press charges can conceivably be brought up on felony charges (he did use a knife in the process of stealing another person's property and issued a challenge to fight over it).

So, while I might emotionally feel some solidarity with this vet, logically he made a really bad error in judgement.

5. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

http://kyl.senate.gov/constit_center/RL30243.pdf

Not really law.

6. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Actually the code it references is federal law, but the federal law provides for no penalties for its violation. If there are no consequences to violating the law, then there really is no true enforcement. It makes the federal law an empty threat.

The federal law does leave the states free to pass penalties, but I can not think of one that has made it to the Supreme Court that has been upheld.

7. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

actually what I meant "no penalties" = not much of a law.

8. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I agree. He shouldn't have used a knife while doing it. Felony charges aren't worth sending a message. Plus he was caught on tape. And now all over the news.

If it's a federal law empty or not, the vet should have called the police and asked them to enforce the law. Obviously if it holds no ground then not much can be done.

9. N.T.F.S.

N.T.F.S. Active Member

What I think he should have done was just cut the mexican flag down and re hoisted old glory and leave. I think his emotions just got the better of him. Unfortunately as it has already been pointed out, he could be done for armed robbery.

10. LonelyMachines

LonelyMachines Guest

Though it wasn't the most prudent course of action, I can understand his frustration.

I was behind a lowrider pickup on the way to work today with a bumper-sticker that read, "they can't deport us all." I've been yelled at for not speaking Spanish. For those of us who actually came here legally, the arrogance the "undocumented" population shows is insulting and infuriating.

[​IMG]

(Edit: not my picure. This was taken during the May 2006 Grand Hooky from Work Day)

11. M249

M249 New Member

I have no problem with what he did. If on a jury, would you vote to convict?

I wouldn't.

12. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

We are either a nation under the rule of law, or we are not. While jury nullification may have its place in extreme circumstances, I don't think this one meets that standard.

Based on the evidence in the video I would follow the law and vote to convict him if I sat on the jury.

13. merlock

merlock Active Member

This would make an interesting poll

14. M249

M249 New Member

You're right.

I think we should inform our non-white members that they should begin using colored-only bathrooms again. I mean, hell, it was the law, so it had to be right.

15. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I wish there were more people like this vet who are willing to take a stand against those who disrespect our flag and country. Cry all you want about his use of a knife, or not calling the police to handle it. He did what needed to be done, and I applaud him.

16. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Attention! Attention! Straw man fallacy alert!

Now that we got that laughable bit of nonsense out of the way, do you want to discuss the difference between malum in se and malum prohibitum? Or that the laws you referenced are a direct violation of the spirit of the rule of law as they applied only to a particular subset of the American people? Or even go back to Plato, Socrates, Aquinas and Aristotle's writings on the basis of law being rooted in natural law, therefore an unjust law is in reality no law at all?

The rule of law is an absolute in that it applies equally to all. That does not mean that an unjust law can exist and should be resisted. But if an unjust law exists and is also equally applied and enforced against the people of a representative democracy it will not remain long as a statute. Only selective enforcement will allow such a law to exist.

17. Vir Quisque Vir

Vir Quisque Vir New Member

I agree with the vet. Men and women have died to protect Americans and our interests throughout the world. It is true he also fought for the right for people to be fools, I do not believe there is a sustainable law for desecration of the flag. However, you cannot fault the man for sensing the disrespect and dishonor that was shown with the United States flag in the lower position on the mast. If the proprietors were unfamiliar with the flag etiquette and the feelings of the veteran, I am sure they are now. A very heated response, but the result was right on the mark. I commend him for standing up for his country, again.

18. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

That flag was private property. Regardless of the disrepectful manner in which it was flown, it was private property. I was (in my opinion) stolen by force with a man with a weapon. I display an American flag in front of my house, and if someone come and try to remove it while threatening me, will be found on ground when the police arrive. I don't approve of anyone disrepecting the flag, but there are laws we must all follow.
    [​IMG]