Verify GFL??

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by EARN, Mar 9, 2007.

1. EARN

EARN Guest

Is there a way to verify that a GFL is valid? I figure a cop could verify if I can't find any other way of doing it.

2. jason1

jason1 New Member

The GFL needs to have the probate court seal on it.If the GFL doesn't have the seal then the GFL isn't valid.Or do you mean that if the police ask for your GFL to see if it belongs to you. All you need is your drives license or some kind of photo ID and GFL when carrying thats what most cops are looking for plus thier looking at when is the GFL will expire.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Why

Why would you be checking someone else's GFL? Or do you mean to verify the status of your own?

For any purpose I can think of, I'd just look at the card closely. Is it laminated? Does it have the correct data (name, address, physical description of the holder) on it? Is there an expiration date that hasn't passed yet? As the poster above suggested, look for the seal of the probate court (althugh mine has a blue ink stamp, not a raised seal). Also make sure that 16-11-127 is reprinted on the back.

If it looks genuine and doesn't look expired or forged or counterfeit, I'd assume that the holder has a "valid" GFL and treat him / her accordingly.

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I could see someone wanting to verify a GFL for a private firearms sale. Just to be sure your not selling to someone who can not legally possess a firearm.

5. EARN

EARN Guest

I want to verify for a sale.

I had a drink last night with a friend who is a Roswell Cop. I asked him about it and his response kind of surprised me. He said they don't have connection to a database to verify if a permit is valid or not. He said he's seen two permits ever and couldn't tell me what it is supposed to look like if he had to. YIKES!! He said if he's presented a permit he assumes it's real and valid.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Not surprising that you would know more than the officer.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

You are correct. There is no provision for a state wide GFL holder database. The only verification is for the police to call the county probate court to verify. Which is also why there are no concrete numbers as to how many CCW holders there are in GA.

I think the reason the law has not changed to keep a state wide database is that it is just not a problem. I can think of at least 2 reasons why it is not a problem.
    1. GFL holders (and CCL in general) are statistically less prone to committing felonies and other crimes than the general population. It is even rarer for us to committ an illegal act with that firearm. Add to that the fact that we try to be alert to our surroundings so that we are not victims. Now if we commit less crimes and are victims of crime less often than the general public, there are going to be very few GFL's a LEO will inspect in the course of there duty.
    2. The GFL law only has one action in mind, carrying a firearm. A drivers license is used for many more actions other than driving (which is why there are security features on our DL, so that inexperienced sales people can verify age,... etc). While the GFL can be used as an exemption to NICS, that is a bonus that the feds have added to the GFL because GA law meets the requirements. Similar to how doormen at bars can tell a fake ID better than some LEOs, I would bet that gun dealers would be far better at spotting a fake GFL than most LEOs.

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I have to agree with GaGunowner. It would take me about 2 hours with a good scanner, Photoshop, and a laminator and I could turn those things out by the bucket load and no one would be able to tell the difference without cutting the lamination open. Not that I'm compaining mind you - I don't see the need for a database and I don't see any special need to have the "security" for the cards tightened. Just adds to my opinion that the GLF is nothing more than a "feel good" item for the antis.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I have been shocked at how many police officers know about, and read, this site, so perhaps that might be changing . . .

10. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I would consider LEO's reading this site an awesome idea! I wish they would be more vocal. Most I have talked to have been very supportive to citizens carrying.

I also find it intersting and disturbing how a few have actually told me most "cops" are completely clueless to this "GFL thing"!

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I always bring up this site when speaking to police officers. Many times, they are readers!

12. rajl

rajl Guest

I thought the same thing when I first saw one. I'm surprised a bunch of thugs haven't thought of this and tried making their own to try and pull a fast one or two on the police. The reason I know they haven't is because the AJC hasn't plastered that story all over the news.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Interesting. Sounds like a step in the right direction.

14. maddog

maddog Guest

I tend to think that it's a move tward less gun control. It's bad enough that they already have a list with all the registered gun owners. Reminds me of the movie Red Dawn made several years ago.

15. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I think you meant several decades ago.
    :lol:

it was a fun flick though.

16. john

john New Member

Great movie, I recomend it.

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

+1

One of my favorites

18. tj2000

tj2000 Guest

So if you purchased a fake permit for someone, would that be considered a straw purchase? Don't let mayor Dumb, Dumb Bloomberg know this or he will start an investigation with his secret police in Ga. :-k :-k
    Take care