Venues... Off Limits?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Dawg, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Dawg

Dawg New Member

I'm planning on attending a show tomorrow night at a local venue. A good friend is in the main band performing. i know it's illegal to carry in a bar (unless you have the owner's permission), but was wondering about venues..? Obviously they make decent money from alcohol sales, but at the same time charge for admission to see the show.

"a bar is defined as an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, like taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets"

From this quote and my interpretation I think it would indeed be illegal to carry there. Thoughts?

2. Juturna

Juturna New Member

Call/Email the owner for permission! I am 86% sure it would be illegal.

3. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Concealed means concealed. When I'm in a venue I use my ankle holster as I am usually doing sound or lighting for the event. I let security do their job and I stay out of it.

Many years ago I had two 'thugs' come into a club I ran production at. Madonna was there as she was on many a Sunday night. I spotted four guys in the backstage area where they ought not be and got security to help me as I heard one of them ask another "you still got your piece"? A pat down ensued and I took two guns from them. Are we under arrest? No. Can we get our guns back? No, not unless you want to see a judge and be arrested I said, these are now mine & you will never see them again. I took Polaroids of all four ran their id's through the copy machine and threw them out via the same secret VIP door they came in. I gave one of the guns to our cop at the end of the night (.32 cal made in Miami) I kept the nice Walther. One was arrested a few weeks later at our front door for criminal trespass, public gathering and a weapons charge. His name ID and photo was in our 'have arrested' book at the front door. Security remembered his face.
    What an idiot. [​IMG]

4. Owl

Owl New Member

Are you sure you have your facts right? Someone correct me, but I believe you absolutely DO need the permission of the bar owner before you can carry there legally. Has that changed since all the threads about SB 308? Someone that knows, please clear this up for him, or me - whichever the case may be...

5. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

Some around here advocate criminal activity. They have no respect for the law.

6. frankr

frankr Active Member

An unconstitutional statute is void and is a nullity that "imposes no duties, confers no rights, creates no office, bestows no power or authority on anyone, affords no protection, and justifies no acts performed under it..."

http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/16amjur2nd.htm

7. Dawg

Dawg New Member

Yes, you are quite right, and that was a typo on my part. I fixed that up. You do need the owners permission, that wasn't my main question though, simply regarding the definition of bar and whether it would apply to a place like I described. (which I think it does)

8. Pandashire

Pandashire New Member

But I thought this was a place for law abiding citizens!

9. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

You do not need personal permission, but the owner does have to have given permission for carry in his establishment. Sounds the same, but it's not.

Once the owner grants a single person permission to carry, according to the way the law is written it's granted for all (with a permit that is).

10. Dawg

Dawg New Member

Well, how is someone supposed to know if the owner has granted permission to anyone? It's not exactly public knowledge. Either way, I just got back and did not carry, but had a great time! Luckily, it's in a safer part of the city and I was with friends.

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I'm not sure why you thought it was okay to steal other people's personal property? If I would have been one of those guys, I would have definately reported those guns to the police as stolen. If the guy had any brains that Walther's numbers should come back hot.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This.

What gave you the right to steal from them?

13. moga

moga New Member

+3

And what, pray tell, is a safer part of the city OP? Just curious.

14. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

1 any gun made in Miami is OK by me
    2 they were probably already reported stolen (hot, not Miami type hot)

15. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

The Walther was destroyed months later with a cutting torch (1994). It now resides at the bottom of a river.
    I gave them a choice, give up the gun or go to jail. Choice is no longer given, I bet I've seen 30 thugs go to jail in the past 20 years. Four of which were women attempting to bring in guns for their thug boyfriends thinking they would not be searched that well.
    Some venues are as tight as TSA almost now. Metal detectors and junk touching pat downs are the norm in some places, even for the women. Anything found is confiscated. We see a lot of 'jailhouse' style disguised weapons. You will not get it back, you will go directly to jail.

I've witnessed 6 shootings & one bombing happen within 50ft of me in 20yrs, people died. I will not apologize for any of my actions to prevent such a thing happening again. The protection of the patrons and staff are paramount.

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Disarming everyone is the way to go. :roll:

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If the item is legally possessed or its a gun and I have a GWL why won't I get it back, and why would I go directly to jail?

This is sort of like if a security guard sees an OCer in the mall, runs over and snatches his gun, and then tells the OCer to leave without his gun and to never come back. Is that okay too?

18. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Why?

19. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

x2

20. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Because he realized he had committed a crime and wanted to destroy and hide the evidence. He's not exactly hiding the ball.