Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw someone get pulled over on a college campus, and it made me curious about this. Assuming an individual is carrying legally within their car, they are GWL holder, and they are driving through a no-carry zone (such as a college campus). In a standard stop here, how would this go down if an officer asked the individual to exit the vehicle?

If the gun is carried in a holster on your person, you cannot exit the vehicle without violating both state and federal laws.

If an officer is demanding that you exit your vehicle, then attempting to unholster and clear the weapon for the purpose of leaving it within the vehicle is a dangerous proposition unless they are EXPLICITLY clear on what you are attempting to do.

If it takes you a long time to explain the precarious circumstances, with the officer repeatedly demanding that you exit the car, it seems like there's a lot of room for misunderstanding.

My question is, (1) what's the best way to respond to this bad situation? and (2) is the law regarding carrying on these restricted preperties moderated by direct commands from law enforcement?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,510 Posts
Best thing to do is make a run for it. Even if they catch you, the penalty for fleeing and eluding is less than having a gun on campus without a firearms license. Run! Flee like the wind!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Best thing to do is make a run for it. Even if they catch you, the penalty for fleeing and eluding is less than having a gun on campus without a firearms license. Run! Flee like the wind!
:rotfl: :rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Best thing to do is make a run for it. Even if they catch you, the penalty for fleeing and eluding is less than having a gun on campus without a firearms license. Run! Flee like the wind!
[-X
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
Here's an analogy that will likely show the answer to your question: Traffic cop in intersection waves you through a stop sign. Could he then ticket you for running the stop sign?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
That might be the only time I'd willingly tell an officer that I had a gun in a holster and that I did not want to step out because I'd be violating the law. If that officer wants to pull all kinds of anti-gun bulls*** and tell me I'm breaking the law, then I'll just sit there and refuse to get out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
The time to remove your firearm from the holster, and place it in the console or glove compartment, is prior to entering the campus. Think of it as a drive through South Carolina. :lol: Unless your exempt under -130.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
CountryGun said:
The time to remove your firearm from the holster, and place it in the console or glove compartment, is prior to entering the campus. Think of it as a drive through South Carolina. .
This is great advice that I will have to remember. I have on several occasions taken my gun off and placed it in my truck box. Not thinking about it even if briefly was breaking the law.

WOW, never thought of it because I would never carry in a building but taking it out before I entered the College parking lot has never been a thought!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,950 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Best thing to do is make a run for it. Even if they catch you, the penalty for fleeing and eluding is less than having a gun on campus without a firearms license. Run! Flee like the wind!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,624 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Best thing to do is make a run for it. Even if they catch you, the penalty for fleeing and eluding is less than having a gun on campus without a firearms license. Run! Flee like the wind!
What?! No pistol whipping? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
CC712400 said:
If the gun is carried in a holster on your person, you cannot exit the vehicle without violating both state and federal laws.
What federal law would you be violating? :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
Confederate Tyrant said:
That might be the only time I'd willingly tell an officer that I had a gun in a holster and that I did not want to step out because I'd be violating the law. If that officer wants to pull all kinds of anti-gun bulls*** and tell me I'm breaking the law, then I'll just sit there and refuse to get out.
1) I don't think it is a good idea to give police ideas as to what to charge you with. Loose lips sink ships. It might not even cross the cops mind that the gun may or may not be illegal.

2) If ordered to exit the car in a traffic stop, you've got to do it. Refusing to, especially while armed (and on a college campus) sounds like a good way to get roughed up and/or arrested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Confederate Tyrant said:
That might be the only time I'd willingly tell an officer that I had a gun in a holster and that I did not want to step out because I'd be violating the law. If that officer wants to pull all kinds of anti-gun bulls*** and tell me I'm breaking the law, then I'll just sit there and refuse to get out.
1) I don't think it is a good idea to give police ideas as to what to charge you with. Loose lips sink ships. It might not even cross the cops mind that the gun may or may not be illegal.

2) If ordered to exit the car in a traffic stop, you've got to do it. Refusing to, especially while armed (and on a college campus) sounds like a good way to get roughed up and/or arrested.
You bring up some valid points. The thing is, I cannot be charged for having a gun in my vehicle. But if the officer is ordering me to break the law, wouldn't that be against them in convicting me of anything?

I should at least point out that I never keep my gun on my person while driving. It's a lot easier to grab it when it's wedged between the two seats. So do understand that the likelihood of this happening to me is pretty slim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
How about something like "Officer, I will comply with your request. But I have a carry license, and it is on my person. Please tell me how you want to handle this, and I will comply." You assure the officer at the beginning and end that you are going to follow his request, and you avoid saying the word 'gun' unexpectedly. Like being directed through a red light or stop sign, if you are following an officer's request, I believe you have a strong defense to carrying on school property. In any case, I can't imagine you would be carrying for long if you are asked to exit the vehicle.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top