Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
16,485 Posts
It's hard to get a grip on the size of the problem. Gun advocates cite a 2001 Justice Department report in which prison inmates said they had gotten just 0.7% of the guns they used to commit crimes from gun shows. But gun control advocates cite a 2000 ATF study that found gun shows were the second biggest source of illegal guns (after crooked gun dealers), accounting for some 26,000 illegal guns over 2 years.
I hate people that try and trick the public with numbers. How many guns is .7%? What percent is 26,000?

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
budder said:
It's hard to get a grip on the size of the problem. Gun advocates cite a 2001 Justice Department report in which prison inmates said they had gotten just 0.7% of the guns they used to commit crimes from gun shows. But gun control advocates cite a 2000 ATF study that found gun shows were the second biggest source of illegal guns (after crooked gun dealers), accounting for some 26,000 illegal guns over 2 years.
I hate people that try and trick the public with numbers. How many guns is .7%? What percent is 26,000?
48.97% of statistics are made up on the spot.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Rammstein said:
budder said:
And here I thought it was 52.32% of all statistics were made up on the spot .... learn something new every day!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Thorsen said:
Rammstein said:
budder said:
And here I thought it was 52.32% of all statistics were made up on the spot .... learn something new every day!
Actually, the latest numbers indicate that it is 53.34. But you were close. :D

·
Registered
895 Posts
I think the simplest solution would be to say anyone that is walking free is legal to buy, sell, and carry any weapon they choose (as is clear in the second amendment). The burden is then placed on society to incarcerate anyone who cannot be trusted with a weapon, whether in prisons or mental health facilities.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
fallison said:
I think the simplest solution would be to say anyone that is walking free is legal to buy, sell, and carry any weapon they choose (as is clear in the second amendment). The burden is then placed on society to incarcerate anyone who cannot be trusted with a weapon, whether in prisons or mental health facilities.
+1
+1

·
16,485 Posts
merlock said:
GAGunOwner said:
fallison said:
+1
+1
So you think that a mildly retarded person that can dress and feed himself but not drive a car should be kept in a mental health facility?

·
68,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fallison said:
Not so simple to get past the General Assembly. :wink:

·
Registered
895 Posts
budder said:
merlock said:
GAGunOwner said:
fallison said:
+1
+1
So you think that a mildly retarded person that can dress and feed himself but not drive a car should be kept in a mental health facility?
If they are responsible enough to care for themselves, then they should be legal. Otherwise, they should be considered a dependant with an adult guardian or in an institution.

Also, a person you describe would be legal under current law UNLESS they had been hospitalized in the past.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
fallison said:
Not so simple to get past the General Assembly. :wink:
No but the anti's in the article you linked were talking about a simple solution. I think mine is simpler than theirs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts