Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
68,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6. Problem at DMV in Chesapeake fixed

Brian Abbott had a bad experience at the DMV on Greenbriar Blvd in Chesapeake and brought it to our attention. It happened at approximately 5:30pm on Tuesday, May 29th.

Philip contacted his contact in DMV and has since been informed that the security guards in this incident have been disciplined. As usual, DMV was professional to deal with and worked in good faith to fix the problem. Guards (rent-a-cops) are going to be retrained on the issue of gun carriage by lawful citizens.

---

Brian said:

Well, I was just ejected from the Chesapeake, VA DMV for open carrying. I had just completed conducting my business there. While walking out, a gentleman stopped me to ask if I could give him advice on a good starter gun. While I was starting to respond to him, Security Guard #1 walked up and asked me to show him my credentials.

Me: "What credentials"
#1: "Your permit. I need to see your permit."
Me: "You don't need a permit to open carry in VA."
#1: "Well, if you don't have a permit, you have to leave"
Me: "This is state property, and you have no statutory authority to prohibit me from being here simply because I'm armed"

At this point, the second guard started chiming in with it being common courtesy to come inform them. I pointed out that she was effectively acknowledging that I was doing nothing legally wrong at that point, but they continued to insist that I had to leave. I was tempted to escalate this further, after he said he'd have to get the manager if I didn't leave, but I had been there for almost two hours already and was too hungry to want to continue this. I asked for their names at that point. SG #2 had a name tag, but #1 refused to identify himself to me.

The most insulting part was when Security guard #1 found it necessary to stand out front to watch me leave. I guess the rent-a-cop was trying to show how brave he is or something. The fact that they ignored me for the 90+ minutes I was there and then approached me as I was leaving anyway wasn't lost on me either. I've used the online email form at the DMV site to complain already, and I was wondering if you could suggest any other routes I could take with this?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Somewhere at a Georgia DMV:

(LEO with gun drawn and pointing at the "criminal" who is carrying in a OWB holster): "GET DOWN GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEES...HANDS LOCKED BEHIND YOUR HEAD...NOW!!!"... OKAY TAZE HIM partner!!

or maybe just...

BANG BANG BANG

'cause that there is illegal here.

(of course, then again, who hasn't wanted to shoot up the DMV office?)

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
pro2am said:
The one here is nice.

Never had to wait more than 10 minutes for anything.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
gsusnake said:
pro2am said:
The one here is nice.

Never had to wait more than 10 minutes for anything.
Yea, it's nice. I went in March to renew my license and it took me 45 minutes total....that was from leaving the house to getting back to the house. :righton:

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Unlike GFL's you can renew at any State Patrol Licenseing place. I did mine in a smaller nearby city (different county) and was in and out in about 10 minutes instead of an hour if your lucky.

·
68,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This might be a good idea for firearms license renewals. The forms are put together by the Department of Public Safety, anyway. Present your driver's license, firearms license, and wait for an instant NICS check, and out the door you go with your new license.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
This might be a good idea for firearms license renewals. The forms are put together by the Department of Public Safety, anyway. Present your driver's license, firearms license, and wait for an instant NICS check, and out the door you go with your new license.
There you go using logic again. How many times do I have to tell you, this is GA we don't do logic here. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Gunstar1 said:
Unlike GFL's you can renew at any State Patrol Licenseing place. I did mine in a smaller nearby city (different county) and was in and out in about 10 minutes instead of an hour if your lucky.
I was under the impression that the GSP no longer has anything to do with driver's licenses.
Typically the DMV is located on the same property as a GSP post and often will have GSP officers helping out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts