Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 48-year-old woman in South Seattle died from stab wounds early Sunday and a bystander apparently shot her attacker, a Seattle police spokeswoman said.

The attacker is suffering life-threatening wounds, and medics rushed him to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

The stabbing and shooting occurred around 1 a.m. in the 9100 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Way South, department spokeswoman Renee Witt said.

The area is about two blocks south of South Henderson Street.

Officers found the woman dead at the scene, her attacker, a 39-year-old Seattle man, and the gunman.

"He was a bystander and saw this guy basically stabbing this woman and decided to step in and do something about it," Witt said.

Police believe the stabber and woman had a relationship, and the stabber confronted her at a veterans' hall.

The woman had a court-authorized no contact order against him, Witt said.

Another person was stabbed in the altercation, but he drove himself to the emergency room at Virginia Mason Hospital and Medical Center in Seattle.

His injuries are not life threatening, Witt said. He was a bystander in the crowd.

Investigators are questioning the gunman who has not been arrested. His weapon has been found.
P-I reporter Brad Wong can be reached at 206-448-8137 or [email protected].

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/326439_fatal06.html

Seattle update- Suspect dead, shooter =valid pistol permit
Body: Woman fatally stabbed by her ex; he's fatally shot by a bystander

By Karen Gaudette and Michael J. Berens

Seattle Times staff reporters

A Seattle mother of four was fatally stabbed early today despite a court protection order against her knife-wielding ex-husband.

The 33-year-old victim was stabbed nearly two dozen times while attending a birthday party about 1 a.m. at the Veterans of Foreign Wars hall in the 9100 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Way South.

The 39-year-old assailant burst into the hall, grabbed the victim and slashed her with a large knife, witnesses told police. The weapon was recovered at the scene.

A 32-year-old Kent man who was at the party pulled a hand gun and shot the suspect who later died at Harborview Medial Center.

Police spokeswoman Renee Witt said the party guest had a concealed-weapons permit. She said he likely won't face charges since he acted to prevent further harm.

Another partygoer who tried to save the victim suffered minor cuts. He drove himself to Virginia Mason Medical Center and was later released.

Although identities had not been formally released this evening, court records indicate that the victim and 39-year-old assailant obtained a court separation March 30 of this year.

Court records also show that the attacker had a previous record of violence including multiple counts of assault in April this year.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Two things sorta caught my attention here...

One is this gem of wisdom:

"A Seattle mother of four was fatally stabbed early today despite a court protection order against her knife-wielding ex-husband."

It appears, to me at least, as though the reporter was truly surprised the restraining order wasn't enough to prevent the attack. Hello!!! Just recently received that shiny new journalism degree did you?

And this:

"Police spokeswoman Renee Witt said the party guest had a concealed-weapons permit. She said he likely won't face charges since he acted to prevent further harm."

I guess the police spokesperson has to use weasel words in this situation, but it still leaves the impression the guy just might possibly be charged for trying to save a woman's life...

Too bad he wasn't able to do so. At least, the bastid with the knife won't be getting into any additional relationships...

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
If this were in Georgia, he would be charged with carrying a deadly weapon to a public gathering.
Thank God for the PG law and restraining orders though - they'll keep me safe.

And besides, in GA, it's illegal to carry openly or concealed - even on private property if there's more than one. (All lessons I learned this weekend)

:wink:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
If this were in Georgia, he would be charged with carrying a deadly weapon to a public gathering.
Which is why I sometimes wonder if it would be worth it to risk the misdeanor weapons charge and carry a mousegun or pocket pistol anyway. The old "rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" conundrum.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
rajl said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Which is why I sometimes wonder if it would be worth it to risk the misdeanor weapons charge and carry a mousegun or pocket pistol anyway. The old "rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" conundrum.
I know some people who think so.

·
Registered
391 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
rajl said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
I know some people who think so.
I do too. One is a friend of mine that is also a MARTA cop. I was shocked when he told me as much. Note that I would never carry a gun on MARTA, the felony just isn't worth it. I was still shocked.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Or you could join the military or reserves and just carry everywhere :p

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I think that this is a good example why we need to get that law fixed.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
What caught my eye was that he sustained life-threatening wounds and was bring treated.

Now, I work in healthcare and am fully aware of the provisions of the EMTALA law, and know that treatment of everyone is required no matter what, but it still pisses me off that criminals are entitled to (free) medical care.

One of our ER docs carries on a regular basis... I asked him if he would ever shoot someone, if he were justified in doing so. He said, "Without a doubt. I carry for the same reasons you do."

I then asked him if, after shooting the guy who was trying to (for example) rape his daughter, he would treat the guy. His answer was "Without a doubt. I took an oath to my profession."

So... you'll shoot to kill, then immediately begin emergency treatment for a potentially lethal gunshot wound?

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
gsusnake said:
What caught my eye was that he sustained life-threatening wounds and was bring treated.

Now, I work in healthcare and am fully aware of the provisions of the EMTALA law, and know that treatment of everyone is required no matter what, but it still pisses me off that criminals are entitled to (free) medical care.

One of our ER docs carries on a regular basis... I asked him if he would ever shoot someone, if he were justified in doing so. He said, "Without a doubt. I carry for the same reasons you do."

I then asked him if, after shooting the guy who was trying to (for example) rape his daughter, he would treat the guy. His answer was "Without a doubt. I took an oath to my profession."

So... you'll shoot to kill, then immediately begin emergency treatment for a potentially lethal gunshot wound?
Sounds like a tough situation for him.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
rajl said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Gotta be alive to be taken to court. :wink:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Rammstein said:
rajl said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Gotta be alive to be taken to court. :wink:
True Ramm, but I prefer the other option much more. :crossfinger:

·
Registered
270 Posts
gsusnake said:
As I have not been in this situation yet, I am not sure how I'd react. But I admit that this (I think) would be my action as well - IF AND ONLY IF 1) the threat was completely ended when this guy hit the ground; 2) my gun is secured either on myself (and away from the b/g) or in the hands of my wife; and 3) if there are no sound of sirens in the air or sight of flashing lights.

I don't shoot to kill - I shoot to stop (end the threat); death is a potential side effect.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts