Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a letter in the mail from the VA. The following is a short portion of it
If you are a Combat-theater Veteran who was discharged or released from Active Duty on or after Jan, 28, 2003, you are eligible to enroll for VA health care and receive 5 years of free care for any illness or condition possibly related to your combat service...
Correct me if I'm wrong...but they have to treat you for free for any illness or injury received on Active duty period..combat related or not...for the rest of your life. right?

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
If you are a Combat-theater Veteran who was discharged or released from Active Duty on or after Jan, 28, 2003, you are eligible to enroll for VA health care and receive 5 years of free care for any illness or condition possibly related to your combat service...
Correct me if I'm wrong...but they have to treat you for free for any illness or injury received on Active duty period..combat related or not...for the rest of your life. right?
Only if you make sure its listed as 'service related'
Which some of the rules for are convoluted.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ashe said:
gruntpain1775 said:
Only if you make sure its listed as 'service related'
Which some of the rules for are convoluted.
All the VA rules are

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Maybe they mean no copay or Tricare needed.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
VA healthcare is free for any disability incurred while on active duty and has filing deadlines and requirements to get each condition approved as service related etc and continues for life.

The letter you got seems like a stop gap measure to treat anything (possibly related..) for a while. I would guess it was part of someone's campaigning or lobbying to get votes though I didn't hear about the legislation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts