VA: Guns On College Campuses

Discussion in 'In the News' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Jul 18, 2007.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

VA: Guns On College Campuses

http://www.wtvr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6804045

July 17, 2007 11:28 PM

Guns on college campuses... A hot topic in the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings.

Now one college student is starting a grassroots campaign to make it legal to carry a concealed weapon on campus. Is it a good idea?

For years there's been a push by some pro-gun groups to allow students with a concealed handgun permits the ability to bring their guns to school. A George Mason University student is renewing the effort with Students for Concealed Carry.

Andrew Dysart, founder of SCC, says, "We believe that students with concealed handgun permits should be allowed to carry their handguns on campus, just like they are anywhere in the state."

Dysart spent four years in the Marines. He wants to carry his gun on campus for protection. Dysart says he's heard from students at others schools including Virginia Tech who like the idea.

"I do think those students should've had a chance, if they made it through the training, they should've had that chance on campus."

At VCU, a few in student government have discussed allowing them, but no action has been taken.

Concealed handgun permits allow Vginians to carry their weapons to a lot of places. But schools aren't one of them. And while state law spells out K-12 ones. Most colleges don't allow them either.

Most college administrators have long opposed a weapons ban on campus. Police usually being the exception to that. The Virgina Tech review panel will hold it's final public meeting tomorrow. It's chairman says they'll issue broad recommendations - to police, schools and the mental health community.

2. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

If you are legal to carry, you should be legal to carry at a school.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

But who needs to? That invisible gun-free anti-criminal force field shall keep us safe...oh crap..that "shall" word again... :?

4. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Yeh :roll:

I look at that sign every morning as I drive past the middle school down the road from me. I'm sure the sign is what deters criminals.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:D I hope you saw the sarcasm in my post. At first glance of your post, it doesn't appear that way. I may be wrong, though.

6. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

No, no, I saw the sarcasm ... I was just adding mine to the pile.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Ah, gotcha.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Plus one.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Unless you are a habitual drunkard and crack user, which studies have proven is what you are if you are a college student with a gun. :D

10. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

:up:

geez. It's getting as bad as the T.I.E.
    Just won't die. :lol:

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member