VA and FL Non-Resident Permit Questions

Discussion in 'Training' started by Bags57, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Bags57

Bags57 Member

I have a GA GFL and I've been wanting to apply for a VA and a FL non-resident permit for a while now. I know that some of you have done this and I have some questions for you.

Training- What training class did you take? I know that VA, for example, accepts any NRA course or nationally recognized course but I'm having trouble finding one in the Metro Atlanta area. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.

Fingerprint cards- I'm in Dekalb County. Is it a hassle to get fingerprinted here or should I go to another county? What is the fee?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why get Va's license? A Florida license will cover you there. So will a Utah license.

3. Malum Prohibitum

We have some Utah instructors on this site. Run a search for "Utah."

4. Bags57

Bags57 Member

I want to get every non-resident permit I can. My wife thinks I'm nuts.....She's probably right. But I still want them anyway.

I'll do the search for Utah instructors.

5. Bags57

Bags57 Member

Malum,

I noticed in another thread that you recently got your VA and Utah permits. Did you use the Utah class for you VA permit training requirement?

Bags

6. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

I used my hunter safety course I took in Alabama when I was 12. You don't need anything fancy to satisfy Florida.

The fun part of this is the fact that many state fish and wildlife agencies do not have a range component to their hunter safety courses. Florida FWCC does and I guess Florida assumes the other states do as well.

Alabama does not have a range component nor does Georgia but Florida accepted my Alabama card as enough to satisfy the training requirement.

7. Malum Prohibitum

I do not have, nor have I applied for, a Va license. I did get a Utah license.

8. Bags57

Bags57 Member

My bad. I was scrolling fast and misread part of the thread.

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Is your goal to be covered in as many state's as possible or just to get the most licenses as you can. If you do some reading you can determine which ones to get to maximize the benefit to you. Getting all of them can be pretty expensive especially if you don't really need a state and get it anyway. Another thing to look at is that there might be some state's that you never visit, so why get the license.

Here's a good example:

Mass. is almost shall issue to non-residents who jump through their hoops and already have a license from their state (from what I've read).

Getting the Mass. license is the only way to carry there. The catch is that the license is over $100 a year. If you don't go to Mass. very often or at all, this may be one you'd want to pass on.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

The only state I'd possibly be interested in getting added to the places I'm able to visit is SC.

11. oldguns

oldguns New Member

I just recieved my Va. permit today, took about a month. They accepted my Ga Hunter Education instructor card as proof of training. Now if SC would do something about their reciprocity I'd have the Southeast covered.

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

They took that as training? If it was anything like the one I sat through a little while back, it can hardly be considered firearm training. But hey, whatever works.

13. Bags57

Bags57 Member

Good to hear that VA accepted the GA Hunter Safety course for the training requirement. But I agree that it leaves a lot to be desired in the firearms training segment. At least the course I took did.

I had thought about getting a Mass license but since it's only good for a year at time and $100 bucks each time I decided against it. Don't think I'll be going there anytime soon anyway.

I think my main purpose for getting non resident permits from the states that issue them is just a matter of convenience as I travel a lot and I get tired of double checking the reciprocity maps and printing up reciprocity agreements everytime I go to another state. I'm willing to do it mind you, just would like the idea of having a permit issued by the state I'm visiting (where possible) in the unlikely event that I'm pulled over etc.

I do appreciate all the advice given, though and will reconsider my approach.

14. Bags57

Bags57 Member

I'm guessing since no one addressed my question regarding the fingerprint cards that it's a non-issue.

15. oldguns

oldguns New Member

I got my prints done at the local PD, no charge and no hassle, but it is a small town and I know most of the LEOs. The only issue I had was with the photos. They sent my whole package back because the pictures weren't exactly 2"x2". They were taken with a digital camera and printed out so I just had to resize and send the package back. VA was very prompt sending the application package and processing it.

I considered a FL license but mainly will be carrying in VA and thought, like you, that I'd be better off with a Va license in VA.