Utah Permit Renewal Asking for SSN

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Mrs_Esterhouse, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

My Utah permit is up for renewal and the form asks for my SSN. If I leave this blank, will they still process my renewal? I thought this was not legal under the Federal Privacy Act of 1974. Supposedly, you cannot be denied a government service or benefit for failing to provide your SSN, UNLESS it is required by federal law, which it is not.

Here is Utah's renewal application:
    https://bci.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2018/06/cfprenew-07012018.pdf

2. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

have you called the BCI? as far as I know when I renewed in 2016 i think it did ask for my SSN but didnt provide it, i think it said it was optional.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Same. I think my last renewal was in 16 as well, and I recall something about it being optional, but potentially slowing processing times.

4. Mrs_Esterhouse

I thought it used to say 'optional' as well, but that phrasing seems to have been removed from the form. I guess I could try it without the SSN and see what happens.

5. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Subscribing to one of many data services will bring up the number instantly.

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Aren't those the sections that explicitly state that if Government asks they have to a) tell you under what authority they are asking and b) explain how it will be stored/used?

8. latter_day_hippie

latter_day_hippie Well-Known Member

I did the Utah renewal online and the SSN field was marked "optional".

Off-topic, but I will say it was an amazingly easy renewal process. I even selfied the "passport style" photos required on my cellphone and they used them without comment.

9. moe mensale

Yes. (from the letter I sent to Floyd County Probate Court):

Section 7(a)(1) which provides that “It shall be unlawful for any Federal, State or local government agency to deny to any individual any right, benefit or privilege provided by law because of such individual’s refusal to disclose his social security account number.” Privacy Act of 1974, Pub. L. No.93-579, 7(a)(1), 88 Stat. 1896, 1909 (codified as amended at 5 USC 552a (note)).

Section 7(b) which provides that “Any Federal, State or local government agency which requests an individual to disclose his social security account number shall inform that individual whether that disclosure is mandatory or voluntary, by what statutory or other authority such number is solicited, and what uses will be made of it.” Privacy Act of 1974, Pub. L. No. 93-579, 7(b), 88 Stat. 1896, 1909 (codified as amended at 5 USC 552a (note)).

UtiPossidetis likes this.
  10. Mrs_Esterhouse

They are requiring the SSN to do the online renewal.

https://secure.utah.gov/concealed-firearms/auth.html

Is there a different URL that you used?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  11. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

That link only requests the last 4 of your SSN.

Nemo

12. Mrs_Esterhouse

I called the Utah DPS number, and they said to leave it blank if I don't want to disclose the SSN. So I guess it is still optional, but they don't tell you that unless you call.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  13. moe mensale

And that's how we become normalized to government overreach.

14. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

Did anyone ever figure out if online renewal is possible without the SSN? I tried my last four but the system said there was an incorrect number, probably because I didn't give them my SSN when I first applied (I don't remember either way 100% but I wouldn't have given it if I could have avoided it). All zeros or leaving the field blank doesn't work.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Given their earlier response to the question, I would call them and ask before I made a federal case about it.