Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Washington Times reports that the U.S. Marine Corps is attempting a unique experiment that pairs the deadly â€" but typically loud â€" fire power of an infantry battalion with silence.

Maj. Gen. John Love of 2nd Marine Division out of Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, is gathering data on the way suppressors improve battlefield communication and efficiency. Early testing at Marine Corps Air-Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms indicates that suppressing everything from M4 rifles to .50 caliber machine guns can dramatically assist U.S. warfighters.

“It increases their ability to command and control, to coordinate with each other,†Gunner Christian Wade told the defense website. “They shoot better, because they can focus more, and they get more discipline with their fire. […] “When I show how much overmatch we gain … it will have sold itself.â€

Wow - hearing your squad mates improves comm and increases battlefield effectiveness. Who woulda thought?!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
So now when we try to legalize suppressors, the antis will claim it's legalizing even more "weapons of war".

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Maj. Gen. John Love of 2nd Marine Division out of Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, is gathering data on the way suppressors improve battlefield communication and efficiency. Early testing at Marine Corps Air-Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms indicates that suppressing everything from M4 rifles to .50 caliber machine guns can dramatically assist U.S. warfighters.
So a suppressor would have military value and be in common use should this little exercise prove valid?

Isn't there something published somewhere that states what types of weaponry are applicable to civilian ownership? You know, like they have military value and are in common use? Just saying.......

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
So a suppressor would have military value and be in common use should this little exercise prove valid?

Isn't there something published somewhere that states what types of weaponry are applicable to civilian ownership? You know, like they have military value and are in common use? Just saying.......
Miller

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
battle is noisy.

Let's make it less so.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
That was my first thought.

"Silencers are battlefield weapons! Civilians shouldn't possess such mass killing machines!" :panic:

So now when we try to legalize suppressors, the antis will claim it's legalizing even more "weapons of war".

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
All the more reason we should have them, not too worried about it, good ole boys find a way if we ever really needed, like fighting off a foreign power.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
for specific scenarios it's fine, and they already have them. but in general, i think it's a bad idea. cans increase around 7 degrees F with each shot. in a prolonged firefight, you could get into a situation where the can was both too hot to keep shooting without warping, and too hot to remove it. that's not to mention how far forward the center of mass is moved on the barrel, causing even easier warping on it. maybe they can come up with different heat capacity/conductivity materials and/or a quick way to remove it that doesn't involve grabbing and twisting it.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Aren't most small skirmishes decided rather quickly anyway?

You wouldn't use a can from a fixed fortified position would you? More like recon needs them.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for specific scenarios it's fine, and they already have them. but in general, i think it's a bad idea. cans increase around 7 degrees F with each shot. in a prolonged firefight, you could get into a situation where the can was both too hot to keep shooting without warping, and too hot to remove it. that's not to mention how far forward the center of mass is moved on the barrel, causing even easier warping on it. maybe they can come up with different heat capacity/conductivity materials and/or a quick way to remove it that doesn't involve grabbing and twisting it.
I grant that is a concern. But, I think those issues are easily addressed. Recall that many automatic weapons that were crew served inWWII had replaceable barrels and some were a half turn to remove.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
I grant that is a concern. But, I think those issues are easily addressed. Recall that many automatic weapons that were crew served inWWII had replaceable barrels and some were a half turn to remove.
Do we want to saddle our infantry with additional weight to carry quick change barrels? How many would they need to carry? What do you do with the hot barrel? Discard it or keep carrying it in some pouch?

I used to run an AWC Raider on a 16" Colt carbine. While not totally uncomfortable to lug around, I wasn't required to do so 24/7. I gets nose heavy real quick. Now maybe on a 10-11" barreled weapon it might make more sense.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
I think he meant half turn suppressors.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think he meant half turn suppressors.
Yup. The tech is pretty straightforward. As for materials to dissipate heat there are several options readily available.

Not saying its good or bad idea but even if only used in training it might help with hearing, learning more quickly, and improve performance straight out of the gate in bootcamp. There are innumerable jokes about old Gunnery Sergeants and deafness for a reason.

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
585 Posts
Cans that are full auto rated, are much larger than Your average can. Add on some Marine-proofing (if there is such a thing; insert any number of jokes here) and it could get bulky and heavy. For something that is mounted like a Ma Deuce, probably not big of a deal. Carrying one around presents more difficulty for the carrier.

We used to use an Ove Glove to tighten, or remove big hot cans.

However, it's a good idea for the military to use them, in certain scenarios. Hides position better, increases comms, does reduce hearing issues, etc. but one cannot control all scenarios so, may become another piece of gear to lug around, clean and service, and account for.

I wonder what Mfgs they are trying out. Since it is Lejuene, certainly thinking recon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.