Use of Class III weapons in self defense

Discussion in 'In the News' started by viper32cm, Aug 14, 2006.

1. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

First time I have read it.

Good point too.

3. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

:ianal: However, in the state of GA I believe that if one was to use a NFA Weapon in self-defense and the self-defense was justified, then that person would be afforded the same exemptions and protections in O.C.G.A. 16-3-21 as a person who used a non NFA Weapon.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-162. Exemption for use of force in defense of others.

This part shall not apply to persons who use force in defense of others as provided by Code Section 16-3-21. This part is intended to supplement not to supplant Code Section 16-11-106.

"This part" being referred to as this code section;
    O.C.G.A. 16-11-160. Use of machine guns, sawed-off rifles, sawed-off shotguns, or firearms with silencers during commission of certain offenses; enhanced criminal penalties.

4. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

No, there is nothing per se illegal about using a NFA weapon in self defense. The issue in the article was that fact that a politically motivated DA tried to capitalize on public perceptions about fully automatic weapons.

Even my ultra liberal criminal law prof was shocked that any DA would pursue a case against this guy since the situation here is pretty much text book self defense.