URGENT: Paulding County zoning of an outdoor range!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Mojoski, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

Sorry for the short notice! I got this in my email a few days ago and thought some here might be interested:

Code:
    (Atlanta, August 18) -- The Paulding County Department of Community Development Planning and Zoning Division will hold a public hearing Tuesday, August 22on an application for an outdoor shooting range.

Don't let anti-gunners shoot down this project!

Join other gun owners and show your support by attending the public hearing at 2:00 pm Tuesday, August 22 in the Paulding Chamber of Commerce Building, 455 Jimmy Campbell Parkway, Dallas, Ga.

For directions to the public hearing, go to:

[url]http://www.pauldingcountygeorgia.com/directions.htm[/url]

Please forward a copy of this e-mail to gun owners, hunters, or shooters you know in Paulding, Bartow, Carroll, Cobb, Douglas, Haralson, and Polk counties; or anybody else who might like to see another outdoor range in the metro Atlanta area.

For more information on the proposed gun range, e-mail Denise Kollenberg at:

[email]denisekollenberg@bellsouth.net[/email]

or call her at 770-355-9436 (cell). 
    I emailed Ms. Killenberg for more info and she sent me this:

Code:
    Del,

The public rezoning hearing is going to happen in just a couple of days
    on Tuesday August 22nd starting at 02:00pm at the Paulding County
    Chamber of Commerce. 

Right now, as we see it, there is a 50/50 probability that the Board of
    Commissioners will approve this.  We also believe that the best support
    we can have is good folks like yourself attending the public hearing and
    possibly even speaking up in favor of this outdoor shooting range.  We
    are hoping that with enough support at the hearing, the members of the
    zoning committee (all elected officials), will be reminded that this is
    in the best interest of Paulding County.

Thank you for your email and interest in helping our cause.

Best Regards,
    Denise Kollenberg
    I'm going to try to attend and voice my suppport. If any of you are in this area and can attend as well, that would be most appreciated.

Mojoski

2. tony218

tony218 New Member

i work in lithia springs on thornton rd.
    i should be able to attend this meeting
    to show support for this range.

if they open this range up i know where
    i will spend my lunch hours

3. artz

artz New Member

That would be great !
    I stay with my GF alot of the time in the Yorkville community and thats only 15 minutes from Dallas ! :shock: :D

4. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

Just got this in the mail. Looks like we don't n eed to be there after all.

Bummer!

Code:
    (Atlanta, August 21) -- Businessmen backing an outdoor public shooting range in Paulding County have pulled their proposal in the face of strong opposition from a handful of homeowners in the sparsely populated area targeted for development.

Project leader Denise Kollenberg said they're "not giving up" but "looking for a better place" for the new gun range.

The public hearing set for Tuesday has been cancelled.

5. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

It would serve them right if someone built an airport there instead.... :twisted:

6. artz

artz New Member

I just got off the phone with Denise. She said there was no cancellation of this meeting. The meeting is at 2 PM, and I should give her a call back after 4 PM. I think I will...
    ------------------
    She said, by chance if its shot down, other areas in the general vicinity will be looked at.
    This is not funded by the government, but by private enterprise. So if any of you have a couple of acres out in the boonies that would support this range, and make you some money.... stand by.

7. artz

artz New Member

LOL

8. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

Well, it is a dang shame that GGO sent out this notice saying the meeting is postponed, as there is no telling how that might hurt the turnout now. We need as many people as possible to show up now!

I'm going to go see if I can't get them to send a correction.

Del

9. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 New Member

Well, I just got to work from the meeting. It got denied and as posted above, it was due to the location.

I wanted the gun range, but looking at where it was located and seeing that all of the area they were looking to build was zoned residential, it made sense to deny the request.

Good thing was that there was alot of support at the meeting, but we didn't have a chance to speak, b/c you are only allotted 15 minutes to plead your case and the applicant and a friend of his who is an NRA instructor took all of the time, so no other public opinions could be expressed in favor of the range.

Another good thing was that one gentleman on the council said before he denied it that he thought the range was a good idea, that he would like to see it in Paulding Co. and that he thinks it would benefit everyone in the community, but he said that the choice of property was wrong.

So that's good that at least someone on the board was in favor of it, just didn't like the location.

Hopefully they will find a better location and be able to be approved.

Driving 70+ miles to Chestnut Mountain sucks, so it would be great to have something local.

10. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

Hopefully it will be somewhere close to me!

Anyone here know a good place we could suggest?

11. artz

artz New Member

I talked with Denise and she told me about the denial. They are now looking to build out of Paulding county because of this. :shock:

12. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

Hopefully somewhere close like Cobb or Bartow, maybe?

13. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Plenty of room here in Lee County. Send 'em down! :D

14. artz

artz New Member

I think every county needs 2 gun ranges. 1- for indoor handgun use and owned by private enterprise (pay to use). 2- outdoor range up to 100 yards put up by the government for the citizens use.

In Cali, I went to one that had great big (as in car...) targets out to 650 yards. That was when I was gonna get a 50 cal rifle and the state made them illegal. FIGURES !