Urgent HB89 - TODAY

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by Mike from Philly, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

They disappoint me.

3. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I am in a trial in Alabama and will not be able to attend the Monday hearing. I regret that for sure.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

So who all is going? I plan on going. I'll just need to leave by 1030 at the latest so I can drive back to school and not miss any of my important classes.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

So...I am probably going to have to leave my pocket knife in the car as well, right? They probably won't let me walk into the capitol building with a pocket knife. Sigh.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The public cannot speak at a rules committee hearing. I had no access to internet this weekend. You are certainly welcome to make your views known to Senators on the committee through other means, but speaking at a Rules Committee hearing is not one of them. Hopefully, you have already let them know your views.

7. Malum Prohibitum

It's over. The Rules Committee approved a substitute that it believes the House will approve.

We are trying to get the language right now.

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Word?

Any word on what happened :?:

9. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Word?

You must have typed while I was posting, but we are still trying to get our hands on the new language the Rules Committee approved.

10. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

From the insider column of the AJC

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared ... ate_j.html

11. Malum Prohibitum

If they tacked on something that the Chamber still opposes, then it is going to be a rough time for HB 89.

So, it looks like everybody is still waiting on the language of the new bill.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Sen. Mitch Seabaugh's office refused to give it to me because I am "not a legislator."

He is, of course, my Senator . . .

:roll:

I cannot reach yet today the bill's author.

If all else fails it should be out tonight on the web site. :|

13. Taler

Taler New Member

Citizen = paeon?

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Why should that matter? I mean, you are part of his constituency...

15. Malum Prohibitum

. . .
    None of this really matters, however. What matters is the chance of success if this amendment succeeds, and the chance of success depends upon the Chamber of Commerce's support or opposition.

As of 15 minutes ago, the Chamber still does not support the legislation.

Therefore, this amendment could still drag down HB 89.

Rules is meeting again right now.

If the amendment goes forward, then the bill goes to the House, where it is agreed or disagreed, and then the Senate can Insist. If they do, then it goes to a conference committee.

This is my personal view - I have no crystal ball, but if the Chamber is against it, Republicans in both chambers who formerly supported HB 89 will not support the amendment. We could very well end up with HB 89 failing right on the finish line.

Currently, there are only 3 legislative days left (although they may yet move the adjournment date).

UPDATE: Edited out certain comments about what the bill contains, because it is now available to read, see next post.

16. Malum Prohibitum

This is nothing but my personal suggestion at this point, but we are short on time.

I suggest that you contact the Senators on the Rules Committee. You may see a list of Senators who sit on the Rules Committee here.

If your Senator sits on the Rules Committee, make sure to mention that you are a constituent and that he (or she) is your Senator in the first sentence of an email or the first words out of your mouth on the telephone. Remember, concerns from constituents go to the head of the line.

If you do nothing else, I suggest you contact the following three people at a minimum:
    (1) the Lt. Governor, Casey Cagle,
    (2) the Chairman of the Rules Committee, Don Balfour, and
    (3) the Vice Chairman, William Hamrick.

Be polite, and keep it short simple. Let them know that you would simply like HB 89 to be passed unamended, the way it was passed out of the House, and that is it important to you that HB 89 succeed.

That is the end of my personal suggestion for today.

17. Malum Prohibitum

This has become an urgent matter. If you want HB 89 to become law this year, please call and email your Senator, today, and very simply and politely, request that your Senator do what he or she can to pass HB 89 in its original form, as it passed out of the House.

This applies whether your Senator is on Rules or not.

18. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I heard today it was dropped for this year.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Sharky, while this is what Casey Cagle said to the news, there is nothing formal. It is not over until the year is over, and there are Senators working on it still.

Let yours hear from you. Let Casey Cagle hear from you.