Uppers and Lowers

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by NTA, Nov 25, 2010.

1. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Thanks for entertaining these dumb questions. They are firearm related even though that is an unusual thing for threads on this forum lately !

What's the history of all the various sources of uppers and lowers that are advertised for that particular line of rifles ? Clearly there is a big market for these products.

Seems like an odd thing. Maybe it is to allow you to manufacture your own without needing a special tax or violating some law or regulation ?

I'm looking to get an understanding of the reasons folks do their own build.
    ?/ for the fun of it (the Heathkit factor)

?/ overall better value than buying (do complete rifles have some heavy tax embedded in the price?)

/? better quality in particular important parts

I built my own (and friends') desktop computers in the past for the fun / satisfaction factor but never, in the last five years anyway, built one that had a better value than one I could buy already made. The retail parts prices of the components always made for a more expensive unit.

2. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

Because you can buy piece buy piece, and not dump a ton at once.

3. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

4. medicOC

medicOC New Member

First post wins.

I'll add that it allows to hand pick every part you want to use.

5. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Because some take satisfaction in building things themselves, others want to save money as did I, and some want configurations that are not available otherwise. Fairly simple.

6. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

thanks for the explain

now I'm off to buy a 1911 lower
    (just joking)