Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Uncle mike IWB size 15 holster is being to rip after a year of everyday carry.

Also I want a holster that I can reholster my weapon. I can not with the soft side Uncle mike, it collapses when pistol is withdrawn.

So I am looking for a holster for a Springfield XD 9 sub compact

-Price range < $100
-Needs to be ridged for reholster.
-Inside the waist band
-great if it was tuckable

What do you guys recommend?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=535860 this looks good to bad it is out of stock

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has any one see any one of these brands in a gun store around Atlanta?

Or are these mostly custom ordered?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If you're looking for leather only, +1 on the recommendations for zookeeper (that's his username here) and RGrizzle (also on these forums, can't remember the exact username though, see http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/ ).

If you want kydex/leather (leather against your body, kydex on the outside (makes for very easy reholstering), another +1 on Comp-Tac, or I'm sure you'll also get recommendations for Cross-Breed as well, they make a very similar IWB holster.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
For leather Zookeeper and Ryan Grizzle are your guys but if you want a kydex/leather combo go for the Galco Kingtuk. It is saddle leather with a kydex holster body, it comes already combat cut and is adjustable and tuckable for only $59 RETAIL. Real world is around $49

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Zookeeper made me one for my compact XDm and I love it.

It's hand molded to your gun. Retention is awesome, reholstering is thoughtless, and craftsmanship is second to none. Everything is done by hand.

I have a few pics on here in some other threads. I would link but I'm on forums from phone. You may be able to find it under posts associated with my profile.

·
Registered
285 Posts
martin_j001 said:
If you're looking for leather only, +1 on the recommendations for zookeeper (that's his username here) and RGrizzle (also on these forums, can't remember the exact username though, see http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/ ).

If you want kydex/leather (leather against your body, kydex on the outside (makes for very easy reholstering), another +1 on Comp-Tac,[s:2di4nsnj]or I'm sure you'll also get recommendations for Cross-Breed as well, they make a very similar IWB holster.[/s:2di4nsnj]
1 + for almost everything word for word... haha

where do you live, I might be able to let you borrow an mtac if you want to see how it feels...

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Another +1 on the Comp-Tac MTAC!!
I have two, one for my Glock 30, and another for a Glock 27. Very happy with the product.
I purchased mine from MidwayUSA.

FWIW, the KingTuk is less money, but there are some differences to keep in mind:

- KingTuk uses rivets to attach the Kydex to the leather, not screws. With the MTAC you can adjust tension and swap Kydex bodies. On the KingTuk you can't.
- The clips are much larger on the KingTuk. Maybe I just like how the MTAC's are thinner, to me they just seem less noticeable.
- It takes a lot longer to get the draw right on the KingTuk, as the holster has no way to adjust tension on the gun, unlike the mtac.
- The clips do not have nearly as wide of a degree of adjustment as the MTAC.
- The Kydex is thinner on the KingTuk than it is on the MTAC.

After looking at it closely, it became apparent to me that the KingTuk is not the same holster as the MTAC for half the price.
But it is about 40% less in price than the MTAC and if that seals the deal for you, go for the KingTuk. It is still a very nice holster for the price. For under $50, I would definitely buy it over the Kholster.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Zoo Keeper is top notch and is totally custom. Ryan is also custom but has a retail outlet at Dawsonville Pawn on 400 on some styles.

I would suggest you call both and discuss your needs.

Both are great guys....

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,988 Posts
If you are upgrading your holster, don't forget to upgrade to a purpose built gun belt. A quality gun belt makes a huge difference in how a holster carries.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
spyd3r05 said:
martin_j001 said:

If you want kydex/leather (leather against your body, kydex on the outside (makes for very easy reholstering), another +1 on Comp-Tac,[s:3k2544uc]or I'm sure you'll also get recommendations for Cross-Breed as well, they make a very similar IWB holster.[/s:3k2544uc]
1 + for almost everything word for word... haha

where do you live, I might be able to let you borrow an mtac if you want to see how it feels...
Downtown Atlanta. Would appreciate it greatly if you could.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Adam5 said:
If you are upgrading your holster, don't forget to upgrade to a purpose built gun belt. A quality gun belt makes a huge difference in how a holster carries.
Good thing to remember. Right now I am using a nylon military belt a buddy of my pick up at the store on base. Best 7 bucks I have spent.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
agcustom leather for belt. zookeper for holster. i have a crossbreed supertuck and dont even wear it anymore

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
XD9SC said:
Adam5 said:
Good thing to remember. Right now I am using a nylon military belt a buddy of my pick up at the store on base. Best 7 bucks I have spent.
You should talk to Al at http://www.agcustomgunleather.com if you're looking for a nice leather gun belt. Top quality product with over the top customer service. Love my A&G belt! :D

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Adam5 said:
This can't be stressed enough. A stiff, wide (>1.25") belt should be required to hang any decent holster on. Spending good money on a good holster shouldn't even be allowed until a good belt is had. I prefer Wilderness Tactical belts just cause I like the adjustability of velcro closures, and I like their metal-less Frequent Flyer model as I've sometimes had issues with larger metal buckles digging in to me.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
martin_j001 said:
Adam5 said:
This can't be stressed enough. A stiff, wide (>1.25") belt should be required to hang any decent holster on. Spending good money on a good holster shouldn't even be allowed until a good belt is had. I prefer Wilderness Tactical belts just cause I like the adjustability of velcro closures, and I like their metal-less Frequent Flyer model as I've sometimes had issues with larger metal buckles digging in to me.
Just ordered a frequent flyer myself. Can't wait for it to get here. I've been using a heavy nylon/canvas 1.5" belt, but it doesn't have any real reinforcement to it. From what I've heard, for the price, the Wilderness Tactical belts can't be beat. Only problem is if you tuck your shirt in daily and I'm not sure they would look good with slacks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts