Updated: First Sidearm

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by M249, Jul 29, 2007.

1. M249

M249 New Member

Update: I took it to Hotshots/Wild West Traders during my lunch break and put a few rounds through it. I only put 50 rounds of WWB, and 8 rounds of Speer Gold Dots, but she ran like a champ.

Some folks on here have seen me shoot, and know I'm not exactly a crack shot, but here's my target (7ft and 21 ft).

:love:

<a>[​IMG]

On my way to the range, where MP, Tace, and Tony218 allowed me to try out their nice pistols, I got a surprise call from Clyde Armory notifying me that our most gracious federal government gave me permission to purchase my first hand gun. It's got some scrapes and holster wear, but as I know very little about handguns, I decided to get a pre-loved pistol in case I decide this isn't the gun for me.

I present for your enjoyment my new to me H&K USP Compact .40 S&W...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dear Cobb County,

Please pull your head out of your fourth POC and get my GFL ready. :)

-M

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Did you purchase this on Friday afternoon around 3pm? I was in Clydes and someone was purchasing a used USP while I was counter surfing.

3. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Nice gun, congrats, and good luck on the GFL! Be patient, but not too patient... :D

4. M249

M249 New Member

Roger that. I was looking at the USP and P2000's around that time, but I decided to give my wallet a break and buy used.

I was in undercover geek mode and thus not easily recognized, but I was sporting my too-cool president's tee...

[​IMG]

5. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

I have the same auto with the TRU DOT but in 9mm. Is a nice pistol!!! I have a USPf 45 and love it so I decided for my carry to get a compact. I do not regret it one bit.

Nice 40!!!

6. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Beautiful!!! Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it.

PS: Unless these old eyes of mine are getting really, really bad.....that looks like the nose of an HST round in your chamber.

[​IMG]

7. Dan H

Dan H New Member

What made you decide on the USP as opposed to the 2000, curious? Thanks

I like them both but have been eyeing the 2000's...

8. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Guns are like cars. I prefer mine with a few dings up front so I don't feel that bad when the inevitable happens.

In the case of your USP, that holster wear means someone else felt safe enough to trust their life to it.

Looks good!!!

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Sweet!

Can't wait to get the call from Bulls Eye saying that my USP is ready for pickup.

10. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Nice pistol. If I had known y'all were having a party there I would have dropped by. :)

11. M249

M249 New Member

I liked both, but leaned strongly towards the USP because of the mechanical safety/decocker. Had I bought new, it would have been a very difficult choice, but I saved a few bills by picking up the used USP.

As a handgun rookie, I like the warm fuzzy I get from having the safety. My AR15 is always on safe, and out of habit and training, I put it on fire as I bring the weapon up, then safe as I bring it down... it's ingrained in my grey-matter, and I intend to do the the same with my handgun.

Foshizzle, I agree, but I'll tell you... the new ones looked so damn nice, I had think about it for a bit. In the end, my logical side won out. Since this will be my carry weapon, and probably my only handgun, it would have been scuffed up pretty soon anyway.

Bulldawg182, it's a Speer Gold Dot... It's a bit blurry because I kept my noggin out of the way of the business end of the pistol. I know firearms don't just "go off" but there's something a bit disconcerting about staring down the barrel of a loaded weapon... you never know if it may just jump up and start shooting everything in sight! :shock:

Wish you could have made it, Legacy38. There was a nice selection of handguns: Tace's Steyr, MP's USP .45 Compact, LeCZends CZ75 compact, and Tony218's M&P.

Rammstein, I know how you feel!

Thanks for the compliments, all. I'm very happy with my purchase. Now that I've got this purchase out of the way, I'm looking forward to getting some quality handgun training, and then start focusing on Sport Utility Rifles again. ;)

12. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

sweet piece!!!

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

For some reason, I thought you were undecided, but you already had a purchase waiting on you?

:lol:

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I also thought you said you were going with 9 mm ! :wink:

Good choice!

15. M249

M249 New Member

When we set up that weekend trip, I was undecided. On Friday, I packed a lunch, drove into enemy territory, and visited Clyde Armory to do some window shopping and price comparing. I did NOT intend to by anything.

As I was browsing the various items in the store, the evil gun jumped up out of the case and forced me to buy it at gunpoint. I had no choice in the matter. :shock:

We had already set up the test fire, and I didn't want to back out and disappoint anyone... especially me. I'm glad I had the opportunity to shoot your USP, and there very well could be a H&K .45 in my future.

Maybe this?

16. murrybird

murrybird New Member

Check your chamber

Nice looking pistol,but you should unload it before you start snapping pictures of it :shock: . Also, review the four rules before you get that GFL as well. Cause you violated rule 3(Don't point the weapon at anything you are not willing to kill or destroy).

17. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Re: Check your chamber

Maybe he really doesn't like his camera.

I don't see why he needs to unload it before he sets it on a surface and takes a picture of it. Not like it's going to jump up and start shooting randomly.

18. M249

M249 New Member

Re: Check your chamber

I understand the concern. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my cranium was out of the way. The camera is replaceable, and so were the books it was sitting on. There's also a natural berm behind my house. :D

I'm extremely cognizant of weapon and ammo safety. One of the guys in my company lost an eye, some flesh, some rank, and a couple months pay due to a stupid mistake. I happen to like my eyes and flesh right where they are. ;)