UPDATED 1-13-07 Help with Probate

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by blare, Dec 6, 2006.

1. blare

blare New Member

Hey yall,

So far I have been waiting 70 days for my GFL and tomorrow I plan to go by the Cobb Probate court. I plan on bringing a printed sheet of the GA code 16-11-129 (part the outlines 60 days).

I am kind of worried as how I should go about complaining. I don't want to mess up my chances by seeming like I am harassing...

Any recommendations on wording once they tell me I have to wait another 30 days?

Thanks,
    Blare

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Take notes (mentally or in writing).

Ask if they are familiar with law requiring issuance within 60 days.

Listen politely while they tell you why you are wrong.

Leave.

Report your experience here.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

+1

4. blare

blare New Member

lol. Something tells me that my conversation with the clerk is going to be very short.

ME: Hi, I was just dropping by to check on the status of my GFL.

CLERK: When did you apply?

ME: The end of September, ma'am.

CLERK: Hmmm. Well were backed up so should be seeing it by March!

ME: ...... (Politely) Is there any reason why it takes so long?

CLERK: Blah, BG Check, Blah, Blah

ME: Oh I see, but a couple of my friends pointed out that in GA code 16-11-129 Section 4 states that the state shall issue a license in 60 days (handing her highlighted printout)....

CLERK: (Whitty Response??)

ME:(Blank face.. then smile) Thanks for you help Mrs. (Clerk) have a nice day!

^^Is this what I should expect???

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I stopped by the probate a few times to inquire about my permit.

A smile and politeness will go a long ways... but probably not a long way towards accomplishing anything with a government entity.

I took a different approach.

ME: Hi, my name is foshizzle and I would like to check on the status of my GFL.

Them: It can take up to 6 months.

ME: I realize that, but I was advised by my apartment complex that they had a rash of problems with mail being stolen and I wanted to ensure that my personal information didn't possibly fall into the wrong hands. Can you please pull up my information to verify my status just for my own peace of mind. My name is foshizzle, my DOB is xxxxxx and my SSN is....

Them: OK, hold on...

Turned out that mine WAS approved and just was taking over a month to mail... I solved that issue by making an appointment with the probate judge... which was prompty resolved by her assistant before I saw her.

My .02, is that if you start spouting the law, they are going to dismiss you because they ARE the law as far as they are concerned. Telling them their job just makes them more dismissive. Play on their human sympathies and give them some story like I made up... it doesn't have to be true, just believable and worthy of the 30 seconds it takes to punch your info on the computer. Once your info is up, it's easier to ask questions....

That's just my opinion. I don't think the 'law' matters... just look how many posts we have here discussing why 99/100 of them ignore it.

6. blare

blare New Member

Very interesting approach. I actually have had mail the last couple months that has not showed up. Car insurance cards and a couple of bills. I think your approach may be a much better strategy.

Could you expand on how you worked your way to getting an appointment with the probate judge?

7. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Sure, you can read all about the details of my experience here.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=1028

If you really want an appointment, I would call the probate court and ask them. They should at least give you a contact number. You don't have to say it's about a GFL. Once you get a phone number, try to set up 10 minutes at his/her convenience with their administrative assistant or seceratary. If that doesn't work, email them... I'm sure their email address is available on the contact information on the probate or the court website.

You can also try contacting your local representative. A nicely worded letter and a request to just "give them a quick phone call" could work wonders.

Who knows... the probate clerk may help you and all of this will be unnecessary. I would try that first before you start pushing it like I did. It worked for me, might backfire for you...

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

foshizzle, your experience has always particularly vexed me because there was no delay by any outside entity. The license was already approved, they were just sitting on it (and closing at 4 or 4:30, no doubt). Oh, and lying to you with a story that a three year old would not try to get away with.

They don't need more people, either. One person should be able to whip out 100 or more of those things per day.

I take it there was no response to the correspondence you sent on September 21 (in the link). I guess our rulers do not feel the need to answer to their subjects.

9. blare

blare New Member

Well heres the story:

As soon as 12 hit the dot at work I was off to the probate office. This time I was lucky enough to find a parking space 2 blocks away. I briskly walked to the court, and as soon as I got to the door. I noticed how dark the office was... a sign read.... Closed from 1130 to 130 with holiday cheer!

Argh. So I decided what the heck classes ended yesterday so I have plenty of time. I ate pizza, walked in the cold wind, and even had time to sit in my car!

A crowd had gathered when I returned at 120, but by now a couple more minutes wasn't going to kill me. When my turn came and I was asked that wonderful question of what can we help you with???

Me: Hi, Im just hear to check on the status of my GFL.

Clerk: When did you apply?

Me: Back in September ma'am.

Clerk: I'm sorry we havent processed any applications batches that were after Septmeber 21 yet.....

Me: (interjecting) Thats alright ma'am I just wanted to check on the status because of (Mail mix up excuse)

Clerk: O well then I guess I can check for you. Ill just need your DL.

They were pretty busy at this point alot of marriage license copies and one guy filling out his GFL

Clerk: Well Blare, you turned in your application of Sept 21 and it hasnt been processed yet. It usually takes about 3 months so you will probably see it by the end of the year or the end of next month

Me: :shock: Thanks I appreciate your help

I should have asked if it had been approved or not and if it was just waiting to be mailed. In any case I need to get a letter to my state rep asap and Ill probably start working on something this afternoon.

10. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Malum, I really have no explanation for it. Even when they "re-issued" my GFL it had the original approval date which was a full month earlier. All I can say is that it was approved and not mailed, and they admitted to it. What REALLY irked me and got me upset was that they used this mail delay problem... all I could think was what if I was waiting for actual court documentation? What if I had a summons? Because that comes from the court, it can take months to get to me via mail? I'm still confused over the whole issue.

They DID respond to my letter... about a month later. The assistant probate judge called me at home... not to be confused with the administrative assistant who helped me get the problem solved with the probate. He called to address the points I made in my letter. Of course, a lot of it was along the same lines you see 100x over in this forum, we are backlogged, it takes time to run background checks. I did get an assurance from him that they would be looking at the process to ensure that no more mail was "held up" at the post office. He offered to meet me in person to talk about it... I was thinking about it and I saw a couple posts here that people had good turn-around time in DeKalb, so I dropped the issue figuring that maybe things are turning around and not to aggravate them... plus I was just so busy at the time I couldn't get off of work.

I'm still tentatively optimistic. Same rhetoric but at least he talked with me about it and seemed concerned about the problems I had.

Blare, I'm glad you at least got some information from them. Perhaps a quick letter to your representative is in order. Be sure to mention that you are a registered voter, have a law-abiding past, you have a strong desire to follow the law and you think that the probate judge should do the well. Use short exerpts and keep it quick... unlike my long letters I don't know how people suffer through them... I'm just so long winded. You could also just try calling his office... heck, try to make an appointment in person, that's way better than any letter. Just ask for 5 minutes, I bet you can get that. Congress should be off for a while, I'm sure you can get a hold of him.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

11. blare

blare New Member

Well I emailed my state rep (same guy as mzmtg) last wednesday and no still no answer. Maybe he is already out for christmas or something. In any case I think that this pretty much puts me in waiting status till January.

Heres to 88 days!!!!!!
    :cry: :cry: :cry:

:-s :-s :-s

12. blare

blare New Member

Updated!

GFL was in on Friday. I carried all around today and man does it take some getting used too. I was so worried that I was printing the whole time to Arby's , Best Buy, and Walmart! Glad to be in the club!!

13. Foul

Foul New Member

Muahaha!
    Another lead packer joins the ranks.
    Carry with safety. Carry with pride. But most of all, carry.

14. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ New Member

Congratz Blare!!!! Glad you finally got it! :righton: :D

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Very nice blare.

Welcome to the club.

16. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Congrats!!!

If my figuring is right (I tend to run out of fingers) that was just about 100 days. Depressing.

17. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Good for you Blare... I like to think that your actions helped speed along the issue. Now, use your frustrations at the delay to serve as a justification to carry regularly.

By the way... nobody cares or will notice if you print...unless your piece actually shows. Most people are conditioned to look above the waist and with all the crap people carry nowadays (cell-phones, blackberries, PDA's), they'll explain any "printing" away as one of those instead of a gun. Who would need a gun in our safe society? Seriously... don't be reckless, but think about it.. how often do you find yourself looking at everyones waist to see if they are 'printing'? NOT VERY OFTEN, lol... unless you are a Bass Pro Shop Commando or something.

Just keep it comfortable... I try to always wear an undershirt (even under a T-shirt) to keep it from mashing against my skin. Also, make sure your shirt won't ride up high enough to expose the grip of your pistol if you do the 'wave' or something. Again, congrats! Now, help everyone else.

www.georgiacarry.org.

18. blare

blare New Member

Thanks Y'all. I got the permit in 109 days from application. I actually do think that talking with my state Rep helped, because another guy on the board from cobb took 150 days!

I went out and bought myself a Glock 27 for CCW. I'm using a Uncle Mikes IWB and man do I love it. Its so compact that it just melts into my waist!!! Like you mentioned wearing a tucked in under shirt helps alot. Now I just need a good IWB holster and Ill be good to go.

19. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Blare,

I know you just got that Uncle Mikes IWB holster. I think you should look at the comp-tac line of holsters.

http://www.comp-tac.com/

Specifically the CTAC. I've had mine for about five months now and love it. It is comfortable enough to sleep in. I've fallen asleep with it on more than a few times and it never gave me a problem.

20. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have 2, one for my 1911 and one for my XD-40.