!! UPDATE !! Your prayers payed off....

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by COMMANDER1911, Dec 27, 2010.

1. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

If anyone could refer me to a good family lawyer in the northwest GA region, I would be very grateful. The reason is my wife and I are splitting up, and I desperately need custody of our son to ensure his well being. I have put this off for too long now and I regret letting it get this far. So any information on this would be appriciated. Thank you.

UPDATE!!
    I got a meeting with a lawyer tommorow, but she got one first. She and two deputies came to my grandmother's house today where my son and I were. The deputies served me with papers awarding the mother with temporary custody and took my son away just as fast as they got there. So i'm metting with the lawyer tommorow to find out whatever I can do to fight this. She's from out of state. She has no family here. She took him out of his home where he has extended family (my family) and grandparents and plenty of love to stay God knows where. I'm so torn up emotionally I can barely type this. If everyone could pray for the well being of my boy, I would appriciate it.

2. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Re: Help Desperately Needed....

Man, I'm so sorry. These things can often get messy. Best of luck at finding a great attorney as you will need one if you are to get custody. I don't know of any good family attorneys.

3. JMan

JMan New Member

Agree , man I am also very deeply sorry to hear about this . But Like they say sometimes it's for the best , I feel for the kid . Best of luck my friend, try and find all the dirt you can on her and proof so you can have that in court .

4. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

Brother, sorry to hear about your problem. I am not a lawyer (IANAL) but I experienced a nasty divorce with children and property recently and can tell you that the courts don't really care about you or your belongings, but only about the children and what is best for them. (DISCLAIMER--my experience only). I am a military Officer and my old lady thought she had it licked based on the fact that I made more money than her, and that women always win. The military meal ticket seemed easy for her lawyer as well. This is not the case in my experience and it may not apply to you or where you live.

1. GET A LAWYER and stop talking to everyone you think will listen. They can all be witnesses (this includes Mom, Dad, Joe at the coffee shop that you have known for 20 years).
    2. Separate church from state if it fits your situation (Legal separation). Helps to ensure you don't end up with lines of credit opened up in your name. If you don't, it can become joint. This is situational depending on state.
    3. Document EVERYTHING.
    4. Document EVERYTHING.
    5. Everyone you know is a "lawyer" or seems to know the law, but none of them are actually a lawyer.

I can only offer my advice here. I documented EVERYTHING and submitted it to my lawyers as I got it. Phone conversations, bills, personal conversations, late drop offs, name calling, etc. Take old boy's advice from road house and "be nice" even when it's time not to be nice (in case she is taking the same road).

Georgia (as best I have researched) is a one party state..that means as long as YOU know its being recorded, thats good enough. Document everything.

I had my stack of documentation and she was left staring at her lawyer in the court room wondering what happened.

Cheers bro, and I wish you the best of luck. Don't give up the ship!

5. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

+1 on everything vooduchikn said.

And I'll add, you don't know a woman until you meet her in court. Seriously, you may have spent half your life with this woman, and you may think you know her better than you know yourself, but DO NOT underestimate her. If the thought "she's not capable of (fill in the blank)" ever enters your mind you are 100% WRONG....and she will prove it to you.

I don't envy the position you're in....especially since there is a child involved.

Good luck.

6. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

Hey bro heres my lawyers website:

http://www.joneserwin.com/

His name is Giles and has helped our family out. I've not used him for what you're needing but I'm sure he can get the job done. Give him a call and see what he says.

On another note I wish you the best in this situation man. You know what you gotta do so don't hesitate to do it. Again best of luck and please heed the guys advise above. Be as nice to her as possible and avoid ANY AND ALL negative disputes as possible. If she documents these things its 100% certain to be dicussed in court. Your main objective is to help that kid. Do what you have to do my friend. Keep us informed if you can.

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Give DKing a call. He may be able to help you or recommend someone good in your area.

8. eagle98

eagle98 New Member

+2
    Everything Iceman and Voodu said. You never know what is lurking inside a person until something like this. My soon to be ex-wife doesn't even remind me of the person she once was.

Commander,
    I sent you a PM with my attorney's contact info late last night.

Good luck with everything.

9. Prophet

Prophet New Member

i am still going through litigation myself and will be another champion of documenting everything. Get google voice it is the easy way to record every conversation you have (three way so they dont know they are being recorded) and when you just dont feel up to the back and forth the other person hearing "this call is now being recorded" will generally get them to a somewhat reasonable state.

Good Luck and dig in it will be a long hard fight. Keep your eyes on what's most important, your son. I am currently using Kim Dymecki

Kimberly A. Dymecki
    Attorney at Law
    127 Peachtree Street
    The Candler Building Suite 1105
    Atlanta, Georgia 30303
    (404) 230-9155 Telephone
    (404) 230-9903 Facsimile

10. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

James Toland, Jr.
    Dalton
    706-275-7319

But, you're probably going to want to find someone in the county where you and/or your spouse live to avoid travel expense.

11. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

+1 good suggestion.

12. Ken1961

Ken1961 Dei Gratia

Good luck. Its hard and painful but you can get through it.

I know, I've been there twice and can second the good advice given by others.

Oh, and I still got married again. There's always someone good out there once the dust settles and the pain heals.

13. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

I got a meeting with a lawyer tommorow, but she got one first. She and two deputies came to my grandmother's house today where my son and I were. The deputies served me with papers awarding the mother with temporary custody and took my son away just as fast as they got there. So i'm metting with the lawyer tommorow to find out whatever I can do to fight this. She's from out of state. She has no family here. She took him out of his home where he has extended family (my family) and grandparents and plenty of love to stay God knows where. I'm so torn up emotionally I can barely type this. If everyone could pray for the well being of my boy, I would appriciate it.

14. bgs210

bgs210 Luggage Killer

Praying intensely for both of you!

[-o<

15. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

Re: !! UPDATE !! Prayers Desperately Needed....

Stopping by to drop off one order of prayers with a side of cross-fingers...
    Hang in there man... what's right is never what's easy :(

16. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

So you didn't get notice of any hearing in court? The judge just looked at the papers filed by your wife and her lawyer and did an ex-parte emergency Order as to custody?
    Was this a family violence protective order, or was it something about an allegedly abused / neglected / deprived child from Juvenile court?

I don't do family law; there's another attorney in the office where I work that handles those cases. But if a judge can award temporary custody without giving you notice and opportunity to be heard, that's shocking. Such ex-parte judicial proceedings should only be allowed in the more dire emergency circumstances.

17. vanguard

vanguard New Member

man i wish you all the best and hope you get a judge that will hear the truth and do what is right and not PC.

18. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

Not in that part of the state and not a lawyer, so I can't give you much in that regard. I can say this...

1. I am so sorry you are going through this, and you have my best wishes. My own divorce had no such complications, but my current wife and I have been fighting with her ex over child issues for 15 years. I feel for you.

2. Since she served you here, it means that the court in your home area will have jurisdiction from now on. If she does move out of state, you will have the "home field advantage." You are a local to the judge. You can deal with your attorney directly, while she will be doing it by phone or email. Any child services people that may be involved will be local to you. Play this to whatever advantage you can.

Best of luck to you.

19. Viking

Viking New Member

Prayed for you.

20. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Not sure if this applies in GA, but if she takes you son to another county, you can appeal to the court to force her to bring him back to the one where your son has lived. But you need to do it soon.