Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for Lawyer, called Doug King, but don't believe I can afford him. not doing well financially right now with only a part time job.

EDIT: found the post (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19355&hilit=+open+records+act) but would still appreciate any help.

need to know exactly what all to request in a ORA.

UPDATE!!!! SSPD says they have no video or Audio of my Arrest. hmmm interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Re: one else have any dealings with the Sandy Spings PD?

Honestly, edit your post and blank it out. Don't say anything on a public forum until after you've talked with Doug King or another attorney (and they will probably tell you not to post anything until this is settled, period). As much as I am curious to know what happened, for your sake, don't say anything. Even stuff you think is harmless is potentially bad. Just from the post above, you've admitted to certain events during the stop which a prosecutor could twist and use against you. Edit it, blank it out, talk to a lawyer, and after you get things worked out, then come back and tell us your story :).

EDIT: You can leave the part where you're looking for an attorney, and you want help with an ORA, but leave the rest of it for now.

Good luck, it sucks that you have to deal with this.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

ookoshi said:
Honestly, edit your post and blank it out. Don't say anything on a public forum until after you've talked with Doug King or another attorney (and they will probably tell you not to post anything until this is settled, period). As much as I am curious to know what happened, for your sake, don't say anything. Even stuff you think is harmless is potentially bad. Just from the post above, you've admitted to certain events during the stop which a prosecutor could twist and use against you. Edit it, blank it out, talk to a lawyer, and after you get things worked out, then come back and tell us your story :).
Thanks, how should I go about getting help from people who have been through the same?

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts

Suprman said:
Thanks, how should I go about getting help from people who have been through the same?
Talk to Doug King. I would assume that he, like most attorney's, will do a quick initial consult for free. Once he gets an idea of what you have going on, he'll let you know how much his services cost, and if you can't afford it, my guess is that he'll work out some sort of payment plan, or he might refer you to someone he knows that is more affordable. Either way, he's a great place to start.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

ookoshi said:
Suprman said:
Talk to Doug King. I would assume that he, like most attorney's, will do a quick initial consult for free. Once he gets an idea of what you have going on, he'll let you know how much his services cost, and if you can't afford it, my guess is that he'll work out some sort of payment plan, or he might refer you to someone he knows that is more affordable. Either way, he's a great place to start.
Called him when it happened as well as got the initial cost over the phone. also talking to a friend that is a lawyer. i make around 12k a year and it looks like this will cost me atleast 1/4 of my yearly income.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

I have met several officers from that agency while attending some training at Glock. Of course all seemed professional. I hope everything works out in your favor.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

jdh31313 said:
I have met several officers from that agency while attending some training at Glock. Of course all seemed professional. I hope everything works out in your favor.
professional =/= they care about your rights

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts

Yes, this GCO member had dealings with Sandy Springs before: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=51935

I didn't get here early enough to read what happened, but good luck with everything. Getting an attorney is a very expensive, and one GPDO member has actually asked for help with funds, and received enough to hire a very good and expensive attorney.

He told his story online here. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=49871

If you need any help with a ORA, I am certainly willing to help. As I found out from the 1st listed link, Sandy Springs will try and give you the run around, but you can eventually get the video from the stop.

I certainly don't believe there is anything wrong with posting the video from the stop, as the video will just show exactly what happened.

If you need some help financially with hiring a good attorney, you can ask for it here. I'm not sure how much help you will get as nobody knows what happened to you.

This community is a really good community as you know, and there is no shame in asking for financial help for an attorney. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I got in contact with Pat Willow of City Hall and told to send her my request using the forms on the website. they are as follows:

Request for Public Records
http://sandyspringsga.org/getmedia/e572 ... aspx;.html

Request for in-car Video
http://sandyspringsga.org/getmedia/5a15 ... aspx;.html

Process for in-car Video
http://sandyspringsga.org/getmedia/3e3c ... aspx;.html

anything else i need to send them? and what is the best way to send this? Fax, Email, Mail?

what do i need to list to get everything that they have for my stop? thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Ok I sent in my Request for public record as well as my request for in-car video to the email addresses listed in each form. will start the clock beginning tomorrow morning to hear back within 3 days so that would be end of business on the 10th.

Big thanks to everyone on this board for helping me realize i have rights and how to exercise them as well as a BIG Thank You to EJR914 for helping me with my request, I owe you big time!

·
Registered
6,950 Posts

Suprman said:
I got in contact with Pat Willow of City Hall and told to send her my request using the forms on the website...
I can see the first run-a-round has been started. Nothing beats a written, registered mail request... Except further stonewalling.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts

I cannot wait to see the video on this one.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Match10 said:
Suprman said:
I got in contact with Pat Willow of City Hall and told to send her my request using the forms on the website...
I can see the first run-a-round has been started. Nothing beats a written, registered mail request... Except further stonewalling.
if i don't get a response by thursday, i will have a written out letter that is already been prepared by EJR and myself to send out first thing Friday morning

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts

Subbed. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I got a Reply back confirming receipt of the Request this morning by Pat Wheeler (not willow as previously mentioned) they will respond in 3 days. She also sent me the form and procedure to get in car video, which i have already sent to the City Solicitor yesterday and have not gotten a reply back to confirm receipt.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts

Suprman said:
I got a Reply back confirming receipt of the Request this morning by Pat Wheeler (not willow as previously mentioned) they will respond in 3 days. She also sent me the form and procedure to get in car video, which i have already sent to the City Solicitor yesterday and have not gotten a reply back to confirm receipt.
Keep up the good work. It may take a little work, but hopefully you'll get the video and audio. Also, you really need to figure out someway to pay for a good attorney, be that telling your story here, and asking for people to help you out.

As I stated, this is one of the best communities you could ever hope for, there are very good people here, and they are very generous and will help out a fellow GCO member in need.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

ok last thursday I received some of my open records request (incident report, daily activity report, daily vehicle checklist and audio from dispatch.) Still waiting on in car video and need audio from the officer as well. they say that takes 10 days and from SSPD not city hall. I will call SSPD tomorrow morning for a update as they've had enough time.

one bit of info they ran the numbers on my kahr pm40 before releasing it to my GF.

also i have signed a contract with an attorney, it will cost me 1/3rd of what I made last year.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts