Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have email today to all the senators who have sponsored SB 98 about "School Safety Zone".

In my email I wrote "It would be great if you could change the wording from “School Safety Zone†to “inside schoolâ€.

Few senators wrote me back that this recommendation has been made by others and they are looking into this.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Re: SB 98 and School Safety Zone

Khondker said:
Few senators wrote me back that this recommendation has been made by others and they are looking into this.
:woohoo:

I wish my Senator wasn't such a raging anti. There's no point in contacting her about any pro-gun bill. She's the genius from last year that suggested the problem with allowing carriers in bars was the risk that it posed to the children. :roll:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

I sent an email to the author of the bill suggesting removing the school safety zone and replacing it with an specific term such as inside a school building. He responded that he would look into it. :D

·
Registered
3,597 Posts

moga said:
Khondker said:

I wish my Senator wasn't such a raging anti. There's no point in contacting her about any pro-gun bill. She's the genius from last year that suggested the problem with allowing carriers in bars was the risk that it posed to the children. :roll:
Gloria Butler :?:

·
Registered
8,944 Posts

ber950 said:
moga said:
Khondker said:

Gloria Butler :?:
Actually, no. She is typically opposed, but not complaining about bringing children into bars where there might be guns...

·
Registered
15,984 Posts

Nan(nny-state) Orrick, right?

·
Senior Mumbler
6,671 Posts

Khondker said:
I have email today to all the senators who have sponsored SB 98 about "School Safety Zone".

In my email I wrote "It would be great if you could change the wording from “School Safety Zone†to “inside schoolâ€.

:righton: This is a good recommendation that everyone should do, especially with the ambiguity of some of the school language, where a campus actually is, etc.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE on 2.28.11

Got a message from senator Mitch Seabaugh today

"I agree, but the majority of the General Assembly doesn't - at least not yet.

Thanks

mitch"

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
so we may go backwards on this one. great. id like to just see that language completely removed. just make us exempt all together

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Does SB 98 change 16-11-127.1?

How would this set us back if the following doesn't change?

The change to this section last year already clarified and limited the school safety zone.
(1) "School safety zone" means in or on any real property owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in or on the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education.

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or a person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked at such school property or is in transit through a designated school zone;

(8) A weapon possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school;

·
Senior Mumbler
6,671 Posts
dcannon1 said:
Does SB 98 change 16-11-127.1?

How would this set us back if the following doesn't change?

The change to this section last year already clarified and limited the school safety zone.
(1) "School safety zone" means in or on any real property owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in or on the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education.

[s:1plb2z0h]....

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or a person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked at such school property or is in transit through a designated school zone;

(8) A weapon possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school;[/s:1plb2z0h]
That's what the exemption in SB98 does.

However, all is not lost. You fall back to the old code in a un-exempted status as far as schools are concerned. Basically, nothing changes. Personally, I'd like to see one of our fine legislatures amend SB98 on the floor striking the school language. You'd find out real fast just which legislatures are pro2A and which are not.

·
Registered
8,944 Posts
Failing a floor amendment, get it past crossover and into a house [sub]committee. If it is changed there and passes the full house, the senate gets another vote. If they agree, good, if not, then a conference committee can try it. A house floor amendment could also be a remote possibility.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If SB98 pass as it is, if you have GWL/GFL, can you stay armed in your car while dropping off and picking up at school?
Also, can you leave your gun on school parking lot inside your car and go inside the school building?

G

·
Khondker said:
If SB98 pass as it is, if you have GWL/GFL, can you stay armed in your car while dropping off and picking up at school?
Also, can you leave your gun on school parking lot inside your car and go inside the school building?
As I read it, I would have to say no, as it specifically says sections -126 thru 127.2 would not apply to GWL holders. Section -127.1 is where the exception language allowing for while dropping off a student and for leaving a weapon locked in your car come from. The bill then goes on to say a GWL holder would not be permitted to have a weapon in School Safety zones, i.e. at all. So, as I read it, the new law as drafted in SB98 would be more restrictive, in school zones that is, for GWL holders than for non-GWL holders.

Which is why it needs a re-write.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,671 Posts
Just re-read the the proposed bill, looked up current code and how it would change things and then sent this off to Senator Seabaugh. I encourage everyone to contact all the sponsor on this bill asking this be changed.

I'm contacting you to point out a serious problem with SB98 and the school
language used in it. SB98 states "Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2
shall not apply to or affect persons holding valid weapons carry licenses". Then
it goes on to define school safety zone as being off limits as it's defined "in
a school safety zone as such term is defined in paragraph (1) of subsection (a)
of Code Section 16-11-127.1".

The wording from SB98 states that 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 does not apply
to license holders. The wording also states that only paragraph (1) of
subsection (a) of Code Section 16-11-127.1 applies to license holders. This is a
major step backwards as it completly removes the rest of 16-11-127.1 for license
holders (shall not apply). This means we would lose the ability to keep weapons
in our cars, or even drive through school property. I ask that you do all you
possibly can to help get this language changed even if it's simply to change the
exemption to "shall not apply to Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11.127 and
to Code Section 16-11-127.2" This would leave 16-11-127.1 intact as is and we
would not lose all the gains we have made in recent years.

Please look SB98 over carefully and you will see that it in fact is a HUGE step
backwards for license holders as to the ability to have a weapon in your vehicle
on school property. Only the definition of 16-11-127.1(a)(1) is used and the
entire rest of 16-11-127.1 is lost by the "shall not apply to license holders"
language of SB98.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
It gets worse. Under current law, you can enter the school, while armed, and when picking up or dropping off a student. I know it's been debated, but many on here concur, and it is in the opinion at the top of this page. These changes are a huge step backward.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
CountryGun said:
These changes are a huge step backward.
Well, there is an issue with the language as it applies to schools. That has been brought to the attention of folks. SB98, though, is a great step forward if we can get it passed and cleaned up.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,671 Posts
kkennett said:
CountryGun said:
Well, there is an issue with the language as it applies to schools. That has been brought to the attention of folks. SB98, though, is a great step forward if we can get it passed and cleaned up.
That's the thing, as it is now I would have to say I'm against SB98. Until it is "cleaned up" as you put it, I will not be in favor of it. I do not think it's ok to take a huge step backwards to gain in other areas. Until the school language is fixed, it is a HUGE step backwards.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
kkennett said:
CountryGun said:
"Cleaned up" being the operative words.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts