·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Marietta Police Host Gun Safety Seminar 11-11-10

historygeek1989 said:
CoffeeMate said:
Hughduffel said:
...I think it will reflect a lot better on us if we withhold what, if any, criticisms we have until after the event.
Would that be during an OC get together afterwards at the Marietta Diner?
I would be up that. Anyone else?
That a strong possibility for me

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
UPDATE-Marietta Police Safety Seminar 11-11-10

I thought the crowd was impressive also, They thought that 20 people would show up, I'd say a rough estimate would be at 150 people. It was a well done general safety class, which touched on some of the laws and the Sgt. did a good job holding the attention of the audience. I found a few items unsettling. After the seminar they had an individual Q & A. There were 2 Firearm instructors and the Sgt taking questions. Here is some of what I heard directed to the Instructors:

Q-Is it legal to open carry.
A- No not in the state of Ga, wait hold on, hey (to the other instructor) is it legal to open carry? I don't think so, Hey Sgt it ok to open carry .. Yes.

Q-If i get a permit in Cobb County can I carry all through GA?
A- I don't know Hey Sgt if you have a permit issued in Cobb can you carry in Cherokee County?
Sgt- Yes you can

In another instance I over heard the instructors telling three women
If you have a permit you can carry publicly, he went on to list places and included the building we were in (City Hall Council Chambers).

When I asked the Sgt about it being against the law to open carry he told me no and that you did not need a license and that its been that way since the 1800's. You only need it to conceal (he did slip with calling it a CC license)

Needles to say , I did discreetly hand out some GCO cards to a few folks.

My criticisms are not meant to knock down Marietta Police in their attempt to inform the community. They took a good first step in my opinion. What I intend to do is email the Sgt and politely inform him of some of the misinformation that was given out.

What I would like to see in the next seminar is a little more emphasis on the correct laws the next time around.

I am going to try and scan the package they handed out and have a link posted to the location.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Taurus92 said:
Was it open to everyone, as in those of us from other counties?

Let us know if they followup with one in January.
It was open to anyone who showed up. They also distributed gun locks (the type you get with every purchase)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.