Update for NRA Instructors

Discussion in 'Training' started by Scott 40s&w, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

The NRA has announced plans for an Instructor lead Basic Pistol class. The training materials will be available soon. There was no mention of the First steps class coming back. The NRA letter did say that an instructor may choose to cover either a revolver or semiauto to shorten the class.
    Lesson plans and more info is available at www.nrainstructors.org

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Thanks for the update. From everything I have heard this is long overdue and good news.

3. latter_day_hippie

latter_day_hippie Active Member

About time. Hopefully they will bring back First Steps pistol as well.

4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I can't find any info at the link you posted. Nor after logging in. Can you post the actual page link?

5. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

As I understand from talking to Scott, this is coming, it's a done deal, but NRA has not yet made it official on the instructor web page. Scott got this via his training counselor grapevine.

6. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Scott:

Suppose that I wanted to have some kind of instructor credential to add to my resume, and occasionally teach a class or give a seminar about both gun laws AND gun safety?

What would the right certification be?

Just to take and pass the NRA's basic "range safety officer" class?
    What about the NRA's "Chief Range Safety Officer" credential?

Aside from safety, what's a good credential to show that a person is qualified to give advice and coaching about things like how to choose a defensive handgun, how to choose the proper ammunition for the range, and to carry for defense. How to shoot: meaning, how to draw or present the firearm, how to grip it, and how to aim it, and how to press or squeeze the trigger?

http://www.nrainstructors.org/Search.aspx

It looks like the market rate for basic range officer certification is $125 and then basic pistol INSTRUCTOR rating is another $250-$300 worth of training.
    Plus ammo costs to do the qualification shoots, so that's a bit over $500 of investment to become even a pretty low-level, minimally-certified NRA instructor, right?

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The Chief Range Safety Officer can only instruct range safety officers via NRA. To add instructor you have to take the basic course then the instructor course. Usually done on the same days. This takes a couple of days out of your life. Usually back to back and on a weekend. The basic pistol shooting qualification is 2 blank paper plates set at 45 feet. 10 shots each with 6'' groups or less.

9. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I personally still see the need to tech all 3 action types in the basic pistol class and will continue to do so. I guess this may save a lot of new instructors some money on not having to purchase the guns since it's optional. I doubt I will continue the blended course though.

10. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

The NRA instructor website now has all the updates for instructor led course plans and blended course plans.

11. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

The credentials to teach safe gun handling are included in the Basic Pistol Instructor Rating All the range officer courses are about running a competition or a range. There is a little bit abot safe gun handling but nothing on the teaching aspect. The NRA does have a few new things out regarding teaching with a simulator and a "Gun Safety Seminar." The Seminar is designed to be run at a big store with no range. The home defense instruction is covered under "Personal Protection in the Home" and CC is covered under "Personal Protection Outside the Home" They are both good classes and cover plenty of material. the 3 books included in the classes are excellent references for study. If a new gun owner took all 3 classes they would have a better skill level and knowledge base than 80% of the rest of the firearm owners of this state.

12. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

Straight from the new TC lesson plan for new instructor training.

"Prior to conducting the NRA Pistol Instructor Training Course, Training
    Counselors must:
    o Email the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Instructor Led Training (ILT)
    and Blended ILT Lesson Plan to each candidate with instructions to
    print/download and bring to class, with their NRA Guide: Basics of Pistol
    Shooting handbook.
    o Ensure candidates complete the pre-course questionnaire, Appendix 1.
    o Ensure candidates complete the entirety of the Instructor Led Training
    (ILT) for The Basics of Pistol Shooting and the e-earning Self Study
    module of the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course."

My next pistol Instructor course is June 2-3 2017