Unloaded weapons, locked containers

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by viper32cm, Feb 20, 2007.

1. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

For the purposes of a hypothetical lets assume the following:

So I'm going to be heading off for vacation in a couple weeks and as usual I'm going to be bringing several pistols and at least one long gun (a shotgun) with me. Because I'm leaving on a school day and would rather not miss class I will have to be at school for part of the day. Being literate I know that per 16-11-127.1 I could have a weapon in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle (trunk); however, the execpetion in 16-11-127.1 doesn't apply to me becasue I'm a student. So I guess I would have to drive back to my place and pick my guns up before leaving for vacation.

However, does it matter for the purposes of the law that the guns are unloaded? Better yet does it matter for the purposes of the law if the guns are assembled. A shotgun can be easily taken down, as can most autoloading pistols.

Looking at the defintion of firearm it doesn't reall seem to make the distinction, even unloaded and disassembled the guns could be "converted" into something capable of expelling a bullet, shot, etc. Further the definition of handgun specifies "loaded or unloaded."

So I suppose my answer is no, woot GA gun laws, increasing law abiding citizens dependency on foreign oil.

But this mental exercise raises an interesting issue. In cars that have fold down rear seats that don't lock does the trunk cease to be a locked compartment?

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well, you could always park outside of the 1000ft zone that surrounds the school property.

If you are talking about the locked compartment, I would guess that it would not be. Though it does say a locked container, so a firearm case with a simple lock should do.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The student down in Fayetteville who got three years had them unloaded and cased, if I recall correctly.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

you can only have them locked in a case if you are not parking.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think the exception to the exception swallows the exception.

" . . . provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school"

So you must find another exception.

6. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I don't think there is one

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Your right, so either park outside the 1000ft zone or go home and pick them up after class is finished.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

So what are the chances of GCO working towards getting the prohibition on campus carry repealed? 8)

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

:-$ in progress

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Well, if there is anything I can do to help, let me know and consider it done.

11. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Would 16-11-127 still cause a problem when parking off campus if the school is a public institution?

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Unknown. The only caselaw I am aware of says 200 yards from a church is not far enough.

However, if you are parking at least a 1000ft from the property then you have to be even further away than that to reach a publicly owned/operated building located on that property.

Logically, if 1000ft is enough distance from school property, then that should also be far enough from public gatherings so that you have not brought something to the gathering. But this is GA law, where logic does not often apply.

13. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Hopefully this racist "pubic gathering" law will be repealed soon. 8)

14. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I live within the 1000ft zone of a college, but I have the exception in the statute.