Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/24/white-privilege-bolstered-by-teaching-math-university-professor-says.html
“School mathematics curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean Theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans,"
“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as white,
mathematics operates with unearned privilege in society, “just like whiteness.â€
I could go on quoting the utter insanity from this lady all day long. This is what higher education has come to?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I'm pretty sure employers are taking note. World wide.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,348 Posts
Some entire continents have been a bit short on math.
Looks to me like a fair number have not tried to learn or teach and see no need for it.

Nemo

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
This BS just makes me shake my head

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,932 Posts
Snowflake professors like Rochelle Gutierrez are having a competition with each other to see who can write the most idiotic things.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
It seems like the alumni would explain to the school exactly how stupid this sounds and how it degrades the earning potential of graduates. If that feedback loop is broken or they agree with the message, then maybe the degrees from the university should be re-evaluated.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems like the alumni would explain to the school exactly how stupid this sounds and how it degrades the earning potential of graduates. If that feedback loop is broken or they agree with the message, then maybe the degrees from the university should be re-evaluated.
It just seems self-destructive to higher education in general. Granted, this is one professor, but we do hear more stories like this and, on top of that, schools excessively trying to accommodate students that are attempting to run the schools to dictate course content, acceptable teaching staff, etc. This is pushing the "education" to being an education of liberal sensitivities and political action - not whatever the major is supposed to be. These eventually graduates will be completely unable to bring value to their employers who believe that they are hiring someone with a baseline knowledge that would be commensurate with their degree. I'm not sure how school administrators don't see this and react accordingly.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
It just seems self-destructive to higher education in general. Granted, this is one professor, but we do hear more stories like this and, on top of that, schools excessively trying to accommodate students that are attempting to run the schools to dictate course content, acceptable teaching staff, etc. This is pushing the "education" to being an education of liberal sensitivities and political action - not whatever the major is supposed to be. These eventually graduates will be completely unable to bring value to their employers who believe that they are hiring someone with a baseline knowledge that would be commensurate with their degree. I'm not sure how school administrators don't see this and react accordingly.
I don't know if it's a progressive disease or just people trying to get their 15 minutes of fame, but like gun control, they seem to want to see who can outdo everyone else well past the point of being absurd. Maybe that applies to the school administrators too, or maybe it's an instant gratification thing as long as the money is flowing. Certainly seems short sighted to me in addition to just sounding racist and quite honestly, mentally unhinged. If the wording was changed to apply to other races, religions or whatever, the entire world would be outraged. That lack of outrage alone should be concerning.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
High schools would do well to quit teaching 'math' and instead teach how to balance a checkbook and the concepts of interest rates.
Well, maybe colleges too.

It's been a long time since I went to college and I'm sure the concepts of "math and science for non-technical majors" is still a popular way to get math credit.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
Math and English are racist, expecting children to know math and to know proper grammar are both racist.

Basically all children of color should just get automatic 100s in schools.

Anything else is racist.

I have a feeling this is where we're going.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Math and English are racist, expecting children to know math and to know proper grammar are both racist.

Basically all children of color should just get automatic 100s in schools.

Anything else is racist.

I have a feeling this is where we're going.
I believe that in pointing this out, as you have here, is also considered offensive, racist, and a blatant exercise of your privilege.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,584 Posts
White / Jewish / Western European math, circa 1700:

Attachments

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,584 Posts
Sub-Saharan African math, cutting edge as of 1700’s:

Yep, maths is racist.

Attachments

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,584 Posts

Attachments

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
I believe that in pointing this out, as you have here, is also considered offensive, racist, and a blatant exercise of your privilege.
Oh definitely, I need to do ten Hail St. Skittles of Purple Drank and I will be admonished of my act of sheer white privilege

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.