Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John Ross, author of perhaps the most defining book ever written about the firearms culture, passed away on April 29. UC has become somewhat of a cult classic now because of its story & characters, lots of actual gun history and not to mention its quasi-rarity and cost. Although you can still find it on Amazon and a few other places. I have a 5th printing hard cover copy I bought in the late 90s for like $30. I do believe you can download a free PDF version since the copyright has expired. It's 850+ pages.

You've probably seen the user name "Henry Bowman" on lots of blogs. He's the protagonist in UC famous for his oft quoted (incorrectly) saying: "The first one's expensive, but after that, they're all free."

Poster Font Art Book Publication
Forehead Nose Smile Eyebrow Jaw

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
He was the .500 S&W guru. He did more testing than anyone I’m aware of and wrote technical articles on the round. Smith and Wesson did a run of performance center John Ross 500’s using his design about 10 years ago. He emailed me a lot of loading data upon request. I never read his book Unintended Consequences but will check it out.

·
Super Moderator
72,181 Posts
A book review:

Hardcover copies of the book fetch a pretty penny on the Internet, and even soft cover editions are a little pricey. As such, it took me quite a while to track the book down, but I have to say, the wait was worth it: in terms of neo-conservative, NRA agitprop, this thing is utterly unsurpassed in both its grandiosity and amateurishness. It’s both the “Ben Hur” and “Birdemic” of the militia movement, and it is, in every sense of the term, freaking astounding.

• Haha
Reactions: DonT

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,259 Posts

·
Registered
15,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that posted online with permission of the copyright holder?
I mentioned in the OP that the copyright was expired. One of the articles I read yesterday mentioned that It was actually cancelled by Ross himself. Hence all the available PDF versions out there. No, I'm not going to go dig up the article again but you can if you're bored.

·
Registered
15,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,911 Posts
A book review:

Hardcover copies of the book fetch a pretty penny on the Internet, and even soft cover editions are a little pricey. As such, it took me quite a while to track the book down, but I have to say, the wait was worth it: in terms of neo-conservative, NRA agitprop, this thing is utterly unsurpassed in both its grandiosity and amateurishness. It’s both the “Ben Hur” and “Birdemic” of the militia movement, and it is, in every sense of the term, freaking astounding.
One of the more amusing book reviews I've ever read!

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Seems odd to post up just that review based on the amusement factor when so many more were written by people who aren’t doing it anonymously. It’s clear the OP was recommending the book. I might agree with the anonymous review after reading it, but that one review by “someone” seems to be a minority view.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,259 Posts
I know moe and I look alike but it ain't me.

Nemo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts